The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Feb 12, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #391 of 606

Quote:
Quote:
I am going to be trying another optical cable. Not 1300 fibers, 13,000, yep, 13,000 fibers. I am not sure if there will be any change to sound but I did get a positive one from the 1300 but the 13,000 may be beyond the capability of 24/96. I need to try it on 24/192 or 48/384 :^).

Um, not to be a downer, but what's the point of better digital cables?  With digital the data transmits or it does not.  There's no such thing as a cleaner or better signal--it either transmits perfectly or you'll hear jittery garbage.

Sorry, got to call this one.  Incorrect on a couple of levels.  

First, when the data doesn't arrive cleanly at exactly the right time, then it is difficult to reconstruct the clock, and THAT is jitter.  Also, a "1" electrically is still analog, and as such there are issues such as ringing, that can alter WHEN a signal is determined to be a one or a zero, and that also can create jitter.  And jitter doesn't create what I would call "garbage," it simply causes the music to become somewhat harder or strident sounding with a loss of ambient detail.  "Garbage" would normally means blasts of noise, or dropouts where there is a gap too big for CRC to correct.  Even an optical signal can have jitter, depending on the quality of the driver circuit and on internal reflections within the fibre that smear the lightwave in the time domain.

That said, my POV is invest in equipment with high-quality clock re-generation or re-clocking instead of on the cables to move the data.  Fix the timing at the destination then jitter is not relevant.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 17, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #392 of 606
You guys suck. Really, I hate you. - My wallet told me to tell you that.

I made it to page 14 of this thread before I ordered the D12 yesterday, now I just cant wait for it to get here! I'll be using it with my laptop via USB, my desktop computer via either optical or USB and I'll finally get a decent headphone out for my PS3 thanks to the optical input on the D12. I have a Cowon J3 for portable use and it drives my Atrio M5s with ease, but with the D12 I'll be able to bring full size cans too. 

Crap... Now I need to get full size cans again. I hate this place. *Sigh* Any recomendations on a pair of closed cans (my co-workers don't like Deadmau5 and Rammstein as much as I do) with crisp, detailed sound - and nice bass too? Loved the detail and comfort from my K271mkIIs but they really had too little bass for my taste.

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #393 of 606
if anyone out there has heard both the d12 and the pb1 please tell me the sound signature differences? i heard the d12 today and didn't like it out of an ipod classic with grado sr80s. my iems are on repair so thats all i had to listen with. it controlled the bass and the highs and seems to take away a significant amount of soundstage. I actually preferred listening with my sr80s without the amp. so if anyone has both please let me know if I'll like the pb1 toucan.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #394 of 606
After reading your post, I thought that I would check out how the D12 with Highflight Topkit does with my K702's.  I cant say that there will be a direct correlation to the performance of your Grado's but from playing my 80gb classic through the D12 it sounds great.  I didn't notice any drop or compression of soundstage and the extra fullness of the sound and added detail were immediately noticeable when swapping from ipod headphone out to D12 via LOD.  Hope this helps.

Quote:
if anyone out there has heard both the d12 and the pb1 please tell me the sound signature differences? i heard the d12 today and didn't like it out of an ipod classic with grado sr80s. my iems are on repair so thats all i had to listen with. it controlled the bass and the highs and seems to take away a significant amount of soundstage. I actually preferred listening with my sr80s without the amp. so if anyone has both please let me know if I'll like the pb1 toucan.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #395 of 606
I have found the D12 to be extremely clean sounding. By this I mean that it is transparent and to my ear, neutral. The dac section is one of the best iBasso has produced so the combination, for me, and using phones that work well with the 5 volts, the combination meets many needs. This is also with my Grado HF2. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #396 of 606
I have been using the D12 to drive my t50rps, which are low impedance, moderately low efficiency cans, and the combo has done surprisingly well using the stock amps/buffers.  Volume between 11-12 at high gain, with no indication of clipping, is usually more than adequate.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #397 of 606
Just got my D12 an hour ago - sound is nice but DAMN this thing picks up electronic interference like hell! 
frown.gif

Any way to shield it better? D12-sized tin foil hats, maybe?

Edit: I might be missing something, but I can't figure out which chips are the buffers and which are the opamps - What goes where if I want to try the included opamp rolling kit?

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #398 of 606
Just got my D12 an hour ago - sound is nice but DAMN this thing picks up electronic interference like hell! 
frown.gif

Any way to shield it better? D12-sized tin foil hats, maybe?

Edit: I might be missing something, but I can't figure out which chips are the buffers and which are the opamps - What goes where if I want to try the included opamp rolling kit?

I had problems if I used my D12 strapped to my iPhone but otherwise I have not noticed any EMI. Not sure how and where you are using the D12 but could be worthwhile making sure that any of your cables are not acting as an antenna.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #399 of 606
I just use airplane mode when my iPhone is strapped to the D12.  But it likes to be at least 2-4' away from Blackberries.  Those things are RFI toasters.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #400 of 606
This is beyond odd: When I got home, there was ZERO interference, even with my cell phone lying on top of the D12. Must've been something at work that made it act up :)

Oh and a total noob guide to buffers and opamps would be much appreciated!

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #401 of 606
Hiflight would be a good person to check with.  He makes a great set of opamps suited for Rock and and a second set for classical.  I actually really like the classical set up for all genres.  It is very natural and to my set up at least is my clear favourite even against the optional iBasso opamp kit.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #402 of 606

Quote:
This is beyond odd: When I got home, there was ZERO interference, even with my cell phone lying on top of the D12. Must've been something at work that made it act up :)

I had the same thing happen to me at work when I first got the D12.  Then at home it was fine, and it has been fine ever since except for one or two episodes, at work, home or elsewhere. 

If this happens to you again, try switching the D12 off then on again with everything connected, and also try the high gain setting, if you had it on the low one.  Once or twice I've had the D12 not grab a (digital) signal until it was switched off, then on again.  Also, at least with HiFlight's new classical opamp, I got distortion on the low gain setting, but not the high one.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #403 of 606

Quote:
Hiflight would be a good person to check with.  He makes a great set of opamps suited for Rock and and a second set for classical.  I actually really like the classical set up for all genres.  It is very natural and to my set up at least is my clear favourite even against the optional iBasso opamp kit.

Thanks - I've read that a few times in this thread. What I meant was something more along the lines of "This chip goes in that hole" sort of instructions for trying out the optional opamps, no instructions were included with mine :frowning2:

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #404 of 606
Quote:
I had the same thing happen to me at work when I first got the D12.  Then at home it was fine, and it has been fine ever since except for one or two episodes, at work, home or elsewhere. 

If this happens to you again, try switching the D12 off then on again with everything connected, and also try the high gain setting, if you had it on the low one.  Once or twice I've had the D12 not grab a (digital) signal until it was switched off, then on again.  Also, at least with HiFlight's new classical opamp, I got distortion on the low gain setting, but not the high one.

Cool, I'll bring the D12 to work tomorrow and see how it behaves itself :)

Tried the D12 with my PS3 last night, via optical. Worked like a charm and I now have a proper headphone out for my PS3! The missus does *not* appreciate the screaming sound of a 545bhp Subaru Impreza trying to shave a few seconds off it's laptime on Laguna Seca. At least not while she's on the phone...

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #405 of 606
Hi all,
I got my D12 today, iBasso, has fast shipping, and I think it's awesome that they include all the accessories, while other companies hardly give you anything! 

This is my first amp/dac but my impression of the D12 is that for it's form factor it's powerful, and has a pure sound to it, it doesn't seem to add or subtract anything, it just gives you what's there with some power behind it, I am digging it! 

Question though, what are the op amps that come with it? I have never installed op amps is there a good resource for someone like me, to soak up some info?

Secondly I am looking to get some new cans, right now I have been using some Sony V900HD, looking for a noticeable upgrade to use with the D12. I have been eying the Senn's HD598 s. opinions on these as a "noticeable" upgrade would be appreciated!

Thanks so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back