The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Nov 16, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #241 of 606

Quote:
I have OS 10.4.11 and I don't think I have the output options shown above... 

BUT, I am up and running...  
basshead.gif

I just went through the same thing. It is there but do a search for MIDI and Audio MIDI setup will come up. I dragged and dropped it on my tool bar so I can always access it but with it you can configure for 24/96 and if you have a USB device attached and it is 24/96 capable, you can change USB to the 24/96. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #242 of 606

I'm using the QA350 as well now.  The UI for navigation is usable at best.  The SQ for the given price is great though and mod is required.
Quote:
Seriously though, for the rest of you, the QLS QA350 is only $171 with shipping off Ebay. You can hook this player up to the D12 three different ways, although the two digital methods would probably sound the best. Included with the player is a 2gb SD card, that is all it runs on. A32gb card can be had for $50 off amazon, but I suggest getting as many 8GB as you need because you have to navigate this player by folder. There is an included remote, so it is not as bad as you think (you just press the number on the remote that correspond with the folder you want.)

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #243 of 606
What do you mean, "mod is required"? I know you can replace the caps and stuff with better quality ones and possibly give it a more potent battery, is this what you mean?

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #244 of 606
Quote:
I just went through the same thing. It is there but do a search for MIDI and Audio MIDI setup will come up. I dragged and dropped it on my tool bar so I can always access it but with it you can configure for 24/96 and if you have a USB device attached and it is 24/96 capable, you can change USB to the 24/96. 

Thanks, Jamato!  I'll try again tonight, I can't wait to have everything configured and set-up- it is already sounding so good...

Do you also have the older operating system?  If I can't get to the settings with 10.4.11, I'll post again here.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #245 of 606
I have 10.6.5 on my MacBook Pro. The setting are there but you have to go into the MIDI setup. Go into Applications, then at the bottom is the Utilities folder. The MIDI setup is there and that is how you setup the bit and sampling rate for optical and if you have a USB device connected, the higher bit and sampling rate, if the USB has a chip that can go higher. There will be a few USB receivers on the market soon that can do the 24/96. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #246 of 606

Yep-in order to bring out its potential.  Sorry that I didn't make it clear in my first post.
Quote:
What do you mean, "mod is required"? I know you can replace the caps and stuff with better quality ones and possibly give it a more potent battery, is this what you mean?

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #247 of 606

What are the mods you did, how expensive are they, and how easy to install are they? Replacing a battery is easy, but do caps require soldering? 

Yep-in order to bring out its potential.  Sorry that I didn't make it clear in my first post.
Quote:

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #250 of 606
If you need to ask then probably a good idea not to start off with D12. Get some beginners electronics kits. Radio Shack used to have them ages ago (build your own radio) Now they're ready made with click in sections :-/

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #251 of 606
There are different mods and different DIYers that mods it.  erji.net has a thread on it--if you can read simplified chinese characters, you may read their suggestions.  However, I do agree that this is not for novice.

Quote:
What are the mods you did, how expensive are they, and how easy to install are they? Replacing a battery is easy, but do caps require soldering? 

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #252 of 606
I had an opportunity to hear HiFlight’s topkit that includes 2 buffers, 2 LR opamps, and 1 alternate LR opamp.  During this listen, I used JH13's, RS-1’s and HF-2's.  

Since I know very well how the stock D12 compares to (and falls short of) the SR71 (which is my personal favorite benchmark amp), I spent time not only comparing the stock D12 opamps to the topkit, but also compared the opamps to the SR71 to see if the same stock D12 shortcomings were still there.  It was also easy to rapidly switch back and forth between the SR71 amd D12 amp using the D12 DAC as the source for both.

With the 8532 buffers and two single opamps, the combination has a nice open sound and more separation than the stock D12.  Actually, I'm pretty sure it's more than I've heard in a portable amp....even more than the SR71 which is saying something.  Instruments like trumpets and cymbols sound great...better than the stock D12.  

The bass is spot on (tight and impactful with better microdynamics than the stock D12) and I would not change a thing in that department.  Detail level is also spot on....all of my test track detail ques were hit by this combination with no problem.   

I've always had a personal preference to a slightly darker and fuller sound.  The topkit is a little brighter and more aggressive than stock...and though it sounds good, I'm wondering if this combination will lead me to listening fatigue over extended listening sessions.  However, so far….no problems. 

In summary, I believe this “half” of the topkit definitely sounds better than the stock D12, and brings it very close to my historical benchmark amp. 
I also spent some time with the alternate dual opamp.  While I can note some differences between the alternate dual opamp and the original LR opamps...in truth, the overall quality on both seems to be to the point in which my ears struggle to discern which I like better. 

The alternate opamp seems very slightly fuller/warmer and more upfront.  Detail and bass level/quality seem very similar to the other LR opamps.  The alternate also seems to present a slight reduction of instrument separation and openness. 

To my ears, the alternate opamp moves the sound back in the direction of the D12's stock opamps.  As far as which one I like better, they are close enough (and enjoyable enough) that it would take me an extended period of listening to pick a favorite. 

Both combinations sound very strong to me and appear to be good options to tweak the D12's sound.  Thanks HiFlight for pushing the D12 (and its little brother the D10) forward!

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #255 of 606
Based on this thread, I have just ordered a D12 to compliment my H120 (now with 80GB HD).  Previously I had been using a SuperPro DAC 707 and an RSA Tomahawk, or just the Tomahawk with analogue line-out.  I hope to see a modest improvement in sound, and a major improvement in portability!

From reading here, I'm still not clear what comes in the topkit, nor if the Sysconcept cable is the newest one described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back