The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Nov 13, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #226 of 606
In case you didn't know, you need to restart iTunes everytime you change the sampling rate/bit depth

AyreWave has the ability to change the settings for you automatically but it's still in Beta and crashes often..

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #227 of 606
Well that's Applications-->Utilities-->Audio MIDI Setup and then look for USB Audio Codec Out options. Still I don't understand taking it above 16/48 over USB unless there are some special drivers. That's why I just use optical which is 24/96 and all the HD content is in that. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #228 of 606

Quote:
Well that's Applications-->Utilities-->Audio MIDI Setup and then look for USB Audio Codec Out options. Still I don't understand taking it above 16/48 over USB unless there are some special drivers. That's why I just use optical which is 24/96 and all the HD content is in that. 

I prefer optical and with the new 1300 multi core optical cable, all the more. But, I would like to find where to change USB but even with the above directions, I can't find USB in MIDI. Will continue to look.  

Jam 

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #229 of 606

Quote:
I prefer optical and with the new 1300 multi core optical cable, all the more. But, I would like to find where to change USB but even with the above directions, I can't find USB in MIDI. Will continue to look.  

Jam 

The USB Audio CODEC is the D12...  It's a generic class driver, I think, hence not named.  If your USB is not connected it will go away, only active and available devices are displayed.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 15, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #230 of 606
Question:

How much difference is it between the DAC on the ipod classic late 2009 and DACs on the D12? I have a D12 coming soon! I'm impatient and can't be sure if I ever have to look around for a better alternative than the ipod. I've also ordered a LOD.

Which player would be nicely paired with the D12? I've read that there are even players that doesn't take any advantage from a portable external player, maybe because of the phones being used. I'll be using ATH-M50s. From what a guy tells me, there is a noticeable difference when driving M50s directly from the ipod than from an iBasso D3, where dynamics and overall SQ are better.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #231 of 606

Quote:
Question:

How much difference is it between the DAC on the ipod classic late 2009 and DACs on the D12? I have a D12 coming soon! I'm impatient and can't be sure if I ever have to look around for a better alternative than the ipod. I've also ordered a LOD.

Which player would be nicely paired with the D12? I've read that there are even players that doesn't take any advantage from a portable external player, maybe because of the phones being used. I'll be using ATH-M50s. From what a guy tells me, there is a noticeable difference when driving M50s directly from the ipod than from an iBasso D3, where dynamics and overall SQ are better.

The D12's DAC should prove superior to an onboard DAC provided on any standard DAP.  One exception could be the Hifiman products.

As far as players that would pair nicely with the D12....something that outputs a digital signal, otherwise other amp options may be a better choice (and a little smaller).  Not many options out there, but at least the D12 is versatile enough to take in all of the usual types of inputs. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #232 of 606
The iriver H120/140 have optical digital out, but they are not made anymore and can be hard to find. However, the QLS QA350 has optical out, coaxial out and line out as well as headphone out, and it is being sold on Ebay right now. I should be receiving one soon, so I will post my findings although I do not have a D12 or any DAC.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #233 of 606

Quote:
The iriver H120/140 have optical digital out, but they are not made anymore and can be hard to find. 

biggrin.gif
 120GB H140

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #235 of 606
Seriously though, for the rest of you, the QLS QA350 is only $171 with shipping off Ebay. You can hook this player up to the D12 three different ways, although the two digital methods would probably sound the best. Included with the player is a 2gb SD card, that is all it runs on. A32gb card can be had for $50 off amazon, but I suggest getting as many 8GB as you need because you have to navigate this player by folder. There is an included remote, so it is not as bad as you think (you just press the number on the remote that correspond with the folder you want.)

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #236 of 606
The QA350 is a very nice idea. I'd pay 200 more bucks if it had Hard Drive, better case and a better MCU which allowed to load something like rockbox. If an ipod has a powerful enough mcu and hard drive I don't think it's impossible. I hope QLS to make later a better revision with better MCU and allowing it's device to be open for modders. Now imagine something like the QA350 but with an ipod screen, rockbox and hard drive! 

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #237 of 606

Quote:
Isn't USB 1.0's bandwidth supposed to be overkill for 24/192?  Then 2.0 even more - the problem is supposed to be in the OS drivers, no?
Stuff like this pop up months after I read the thread on the subject and then I can't find the dang thread again.

USB 1.0 has a theoretical bandwidth of 12 Mbps.  24/192 is about 8 megabits, not counting protocol overhead.  It's really about 10 megabits, because you can't just send the audio data, there's lots of other stuff that needs to be in there.  So 24/192 would be borderline.  24/96 has plenty of overhead though.  Still, the USB bus speed is not the reason that external chips won't do higher sample rates.  AFAIK it's simply because there was no commonly accepted standard established for anything greater than 16/48, so each device manufacturer has to make their own implementation.

Maybe a couple of years down the road there will finally be a standard that supports higher.  Until then, we have to put up with special drivers, and mostly flaky implementations.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #238 of 606
Thanks, I've already been corrected, lol.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #240 of 606
Take the digital output on 16/44.1 and 24/96 source material via optical, and drive your receiver or an external DAC that can show the sample rate, and you'll know what the 10.4.11 is actually doing relative to output sample rate (as in it downsamples or leaves it alone).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back