The Hybrid IEM Thread... The Best of Both Worlds?
Jun 8, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #107 of 236
Thanks for your time reviewing these IEMs. Im searching for my first high end universal IEM around 500$.. I listen to a ton of bass centric EDM music.. Im an electronic ambient bass composer and I need an IEM for walking around town / sleep / travel.. My list so far is as follows:

EarSonics SM64                      ($450)        3 BA
InEar StageDiver 3s (SD-3s) ($600)        3 BA
Dunu DN-2000                        ($315)        2 BA 1 Dynamic
(Sennheiser) iE80                   ($270)        1 Dynamic
(Aurisonics) ASG-2 / 2.5        ($550)        

Im really considering getting the stagediver 3 because of its high bass response the only thing that holds me back is the price and its slightly negative comfort ratings.. however.. i heard rumors of a newly designed "small" SD-3 (more compact and therefore more comfortable as it rests in the concha of the outer ear). Only problem is.. Im having trouble tracking it down!! Its supposedly already been released... 

SUMMARY: Do you have any feedback on my list so far? anything standing out considering my background and desire for a bass centric high performance universal IEM around $500? Would the ASG-2 / 2.5 be a contender for me?

Please and thank you >.<

-Zenstep

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #108 of 236
  Thanks for your time reviewing these IEMs. Im searching for my first high end universal IEM around 500$.. I listen to a ton of bass centric EDM music.. Im an electronic ambient bass composer and I need an IEM for walking around town / sleep / travel.. My list so far is as follows:

EarSonics SM64                      ($450)        3 BA
InEar StageDiver 3s (SD-3s) ($600)        3 BA
Dunu DN-2000                        ($315)        2 BA 1 Dynamic
(Sennheiser) iE80                   ($270)        1 Dynamic
(Aurisonics) ASG-2 / 2.5        ($550)        

Im really considering getting the stagediver 3 because of its high bass response the only thing that holds me back is the price and its slightly negative comfort ratings.. however.. i heard rumors of a newly designed "small" SD-3 (more compact and therefore more comfortable as it rests in the concha of the outer ear). Only problem is.. Im having trouble tracking it down!! Its supposedly already been released... 

SUMMARY: Do you have any feedback on my list so far? anything standing out considering my background and desire for a bass centric high performance universal IEM around $500? Would the ASG-2 / 2.5 be a contender for me?

Please and thank you >.<

-Zenstep

For your preferences DN-2000 won't have enough bass, Its low end is rather balanced you'll probably find yourself a little underwhelmed. The mids and highs however are spot on. I've heard ASG-2 for almost a month Its packed with mid-bass and a tuning port to dial the bass up even more. It's rather nice IEM if you can afford it.

My personal recommendation for you if you're wanting a hybrid is DN-1000 which to my ears isn't leaps and bounds behind the DN-2000,  but holds the signature you're after with heavier bass, especially if you use a nice amp. Which brings me to my suggestion.

I'd research DN-1000 for $200 then look into C&C BH amp for $100 and flick on it's "LF" switch which creates a nice bass boost and slight treble enhancement (basically forms a V signature). Put DN-1000 with C&C BH and engage the LF switch you'll be rocking the show with deep bass, clean mids and sweet highs. Plus the amp runs for 80 hours a charge and is only the size of a credit card.

For $300 USD you'll be rocking out pretty good. 

I'll give you a link to their threads to research.

DN-1000: http://www.head-fi.org/t/681435/dunu-dn-1000-dunus-hybrid-iem-appreciation-thread

C&C BH: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #109 of 236
What is the isolation like on the DN-1000 and DN-2000, using on the commuter rais is my primary use and isolation (from people who talk on the 'quiet' car
angry_face.gif
) is pretty important to me.

Scott

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #111 of 236
Picture of Rooth LS-X5 5 driver hybrid. 

x2 BA mids
x2 BA highs
x1 Dynamic driver

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #114 of 236
Dang - you and Vic are not good for my wallet Luke!

So how do they sound?

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #115 of 236
  Dang - you and Vic are not good for my wallet Luke!

So how do they sound?

Well, they're not mine but I had them for two weeks.

They share a similar tonality to an Altone, leaning brightish (but slightly warmer than Altone overall) The bass was excellent in texture and depth and the mid-range really felt supported / layered by the x2 BA's controlling the show. Upstairs though I found the highs a little harsher than I would of liked, they seems to sound a little brittle in the treble so there's a peak in there somehwere. Overall I thought they were great but still prefer my 3 way T-Peos H-300 hybrid personally. The main thing is gaining experience and putting in check my current gear I own. 

Maybe speak to djvkool. :wink:.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #116 of 236

Well, they're not mine but I had them for two weeks.

They share a similar tonality to an Altone, leaning brightish (but slightly warmer than Altone overall) The bass was excellent in texture and depth and the mid-range really felt supported / layered by the x2 BA's controlling the show. Upstairs though I found the highs a little harsher than I would of liked, they seems to sound a little brittle in the treble so there's a peak in there somehwere. Overall I thought they were great but still prefer my 3 way T-Peos H-300 hybrid personally. The main thing is gaining experience and putting in check my current gear I own. 

Maybe speak to djvkool. :wink:.

Ahhh - they're Vics.  He's actually already offered to send them through whenever I want a listen.  But I want to properly review the Fidue A83 first (bought my own pair about 24 hours after I listened to Vics pair).

I'm a bit like you - want to hear what's out there.  But have to admit, I can't at this stage see myself wanting to go much further (ownership) outside what I currently own in the triples (DN-1000, Altone200 and A83).

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #117 of 236

Ahhh - they're Vics.  He's actually already offered to send them through whenever I want a listen.  But I want to properly review the Fidue A83 first (bought my own pair about 24 hours after I listened to Vics pair).

I'm a bit like you - want to hear what's out there.  But have to admit, I can't at this stage see myself wanting to go much further (ownership) outside what I currently own in the triples (DN-1000, Altone200 and A83).

I'll get to hear the Fidue A83 very soon  (about a week), though I admit my life and lust for hybrids is getting a little insane. I already own 5 hybrids and it's becoming silly. The hardest thing about demoing gear like this is often (as you've just found) you almost instantly want to buy one, it's happened to me many times and my wallet has suffered. There's something about having a piece of gear in your own house for an  'audition at length" that can murder ones wallet.

it just happened to me again only yesterday with the Audiofly AF140 3 - Way hybrid, But another thing that makes me do this is I enjoy challenging these mid / high end hybrids to my reference IEM Rhapsodio RDB Mini and I can say gracefully it comes out on top almost every time. (well at least in alignment with my preferences)

Stay strong Brooko, another day another hybrid. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #118 of 236

I'll get to hear the Fidue A83 very soon  (about a week), though I admit my life and lust for hybrids is getting a little insane. I already own 5 hybrids and it's becoming silly. The hardest thing about demoing gear like this is often (as you've just found) you almost instantly want to buy one, it's happened to me many times and my wallet has suffered. There's something about having a piece of gear in your own house for an  'audition at length" that can murder ones wallet.

it just happened to me again only yesterday with the Audiofly AF140 3 - Way hybrid, But another thing that makes me do this is I enjoy challenging these mid / high end hybrids to my reference IEM Rhapsodio RDB Mini and I can say gracefully it comes out on top almost every time. (well at least in alignment with my preferences)

Stay strong Brooko, another day another hybrid. 

Only 5 H20??? tsk tsk tsk tsk...disappointing...
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #119 of 236

Wait until you heat the 5-drivers hybrid mate...

...then BAM!! all triple hybrids in the bin, and hello 5-drivers hahaha...
tongue_smile.gif

I know it is incredibly evil for me to say this...but knowing you LOVE A83 at first listen, DO NOT ever audition UM Merlin, as you will buy after first listen too...
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back