The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #4,531 of 6,859
A simple question. When I am playing an album on a loop and then I get bored and want to switch to random play of my entire collection, how can I do that?

Changing the shortcut icon from 'loop' to 'random' only makes the same album play in a random order, and selecting All at the top doesn't do anything.

The only solution I found is to go to a specific song or album and start playing that, but that is not really what I want. I want the R3 to choose a random song from a random album next, instead of the album currently playing.
When you first start your R3 and want to play random music, you choose one song at least, it is the same here. You go all song select one, you can hit next track if you want to be surprised and "C'est parti mon kiki"!

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #4,532 of 6,859
When you first start your R3 and want to play random music, you choose one song at least, it is the same here. You go all song select one, you can hit next track if you want to be surprised and "C'est parti mon kiki"!
So there is no way to change from the album being played to random play without first having to select a song, as I suspected. Too bad.
Thanks for confirming.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #4,533 of 6,859
Hi @Mouseman @Mirimar

Some of my songs have special characters/Japanese texts. Does that matter with R3 scan?

I used the same card where I encountered the infinite bootup issue.

I was able to scan all songs by doing the steps below:

1. Open R3 > scan. Only 600+ were detected out of 1.2k
2. Connect the R3 to PC. I can only see 600+ songs. The space consumption still did not changed (meaning the rest of the missing songs are there but somehow, they are missing/not showing)
3. Right-click the drive > properties > scan (even though there are no errors at all).
4. Go back to micro sd again and I can see 1.2k songs (however, I was missing 1 song so I re-added that 1 missing song manually)
5. Scan music on R3 and was able to scan all songs

I will try to replicate the issue using a different micro sd again but I think my micro sd is not faulty because there are no any errors and the space consumption is not changing. I also format/clean the micro sd before I added the 1.2k songs on it (this was before doing my very first music scan).

This is so weird. If I have to do this manually to add new songs every now and then, it's not very user friendly at all :frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #4,534 of 6,859
I decide to play around with Tidal and play many tracks from new music section on tidal app

Most of the tracks played fine except for these tracks
1-Honey - Robyn
2-Remind Me - Emily KIng
3-Guiding LIght - Mumford & Sons

Will result "error 4007"
I also found couple of old track in my library that doesn't work

4-Aja - Steely Dan
5-It's cool - The Presets
6-Red - Taylor Swift
7-V.3005 - Childish Gambino

So i tried to play these tracks using the main tidal app on windows/ios and on third party app (Roon)
it worked fine on both of them

I decide to add some track that found within the same album related to previous tracks

Albums are
1-Aja - Steely Dan
2-Red - Taylor Swift
3-Pacifica-The Presets

i found that the whole track list in these album don't work and will result
4007 error

So the problem related to specific album not specific track

Then i decide to remove all the track that gave an error from my library and add the whole album to my album collection using tidal app on windows/ios
Albums are
1-Aja - Steely Dan
2-Red - Taylor Swift
3-Pacifica-The Presets
4-Remind Me - Emily KIng (it is not an album but add the album page to my library )

So know i try to access these album using the main tidal and Roon tidal app and it worked fine track load and played

I tried to access these album using Hiby tidal app by going to my album collection and open the albums
but now i got new error "2002 not entity found " and can not enter the albums to look for track

so this time i removed all of these albums but i add them again to my library using Hiby tidal app

now this when things get interesting after i added the albums i tried to open them and i did not get the error "2002 not entity found "
i can see all the track list but when i star any of them i will get error 4007

Note i couldn't find the album page for the single track Remind Me - Emily KIng and i think this part of the problem

but what about the main tidal app on windows and third party app (Roon) after i added the albums using hiby

So i start the main windows app and go to my album collection i found the 3 albums but when i open them it look like hiby add the wrong link for these album to my account
and using Roon these album did not appear at all in my collection

but when i search for these albums using main tidal app on windows or roon i found them ??

so i added them again using main tidal app and did not delete the old one that Hiby added to my library
Guess what happed ?
i got duplicate album in my collection

also if i use hiby

if you play the one that added by main tidal app you will get error 2002
and if you played the wrong one that added by Hiby you will get error 4007
because it really doesn't exist anymore in Tidal

i think hiby is right when they said that the error appears because missing track but why don't there client look for the correct one and insist to access the wrong one

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #4,535 of 6,859
A simple question. When I am playing an album on a loop and then I get bored and want to switch to random play of my entire collection, how can I do that?

Changing the shortcut icon from 'loop' to 'random' only makes the same album play in a random order, and selecting All at the top doesn't do anything.

The only solution I found is to go to a specific song or album and start playing that, but that is not really what I want. I want the R3 to choose a random song from a random album next, instead of the album currently playing.

Go to the Songs tab, tap on a song and set the play mode to Random. There might also be a Shuffle all button at the top of the Songs tab

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 5, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #4,537 of 6,859
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #4,538 of 6,859
Go to the Songs tab, tap on a song and set the play mode to Random. There might also be a Shuffle all button at the top of the Songs tab
Thanks, but that is not what I want. I want to change from the album I am playing to a random different song, not first have to select a song myself. (This may seem lazy on my part, but I am usually listening to music while trying to fall asleep, so more tired than lazy.) :)

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #4,539 of 6,859
Tap on the first song, set the play mode to Random then immediately hit Next :wink:

Last edited:

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #4,541 of 6,859
On my XM2, I was able to connect and hear music using all BT modes - SBC, aptX, and all 3 LDAC modes. I heard some improvement in sound quality between these modes too.

But XM2 has 3 noise cancelling modes and 2 DSEE-HX modes and these effect the sound signature.

For example on my ( supposedly aptX capable ) Galaxy Note 4 phone, I get best result with BT= SBC, DSEE-HX = ON, Noise Cancelling = OFF.

So you need to find what works for you.

If you need to purchase XM2/XM3, I say go for XM3. XM2 has some weaknesses I experience everyday and reviewers say XM3 sounds much better. The 100 USD price difference will take care of itself as time passes.

Quick question - does the R3 play nice with the Sony 1000XM2 / 1000XM3 in terms of wireless playback?

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #4,542 of 6,859
On my XM2, I was able to connect and hear music using all BT modes - SBC, aptX, and all 3 LDAC modes. I heard some improvement in sound quality between these modes too.

But XM2 has 3 noise cancelling modes and 2 DSEE-HX modes and these effect the sound signature.

For example on my ( supposedly aptX capable ) Galaxy Note 4 phone, I get best result with BT= SBC, DSEE-HX = ON, Noise Cancelling = OFF.

So you need to find what works for you.

If you need to purchase XM2/XM3, I say go for XM3. XM2 has some weaknesses I experience everyday and reviewers say XM3 sounds much better. The 100 USD price difference will take care of itself as time passes.
The XM3 and XM2 are the same price .

I have the XM2 sounds great with the R3. You can't go wrong with either Sony XM2/3 with the R3, perfect portable combo.

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #4,543 of 6,859
I am considering adding the R3 to my gear, but I have two questions:

1) is the wifi reliable (strong and constant) when streaming Tidal?

2) Is there, with the latest update, any remaining bugs that I should be aware of? I intend to use the R3 for Tidal streaming (I know the offline Tidal streaming is not possible) and to play about 100 Gb of flac files from my personal library (no playliisting... just playing albums). I will be using the R3 with IEMs and the Closed Aeon Flow from Mr Speakers.

Thanks

Oct 8, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #4,545 of 6,859
While the WiFi capability works fine for me, actual Tidal playback continues to be an issue (4007 unknown error)
Oh... ok.

So many (not to say most or all) of the new advanced (with wifi) DAPs have significant issues.... that may or may not be fixed after countless software updates. My Fiio X7 (1st gen!) still has unresolved issues.

I was interested in the R3 because it is not a full Android device; therefore, I expected it to be stable and reliable.

I will wait and see. There is also the UPCOMING Shanling M5s (but, once again, the Tidal integration is not yet stable).

I think the most reliable players with Tidal integration are the Astell & Kern (but pricey!).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back