The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Oct 8, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #4,546 of 6,859
Oh... ok.

So many (not to say most or all) of the new advanced (with wifi) DAPs have significant issues.... that may or may not be fixed after countless software updates. My Fiio X7 (1st gen!) still has unresolved issues.

I was interested in the R3 because it is not a full Android device; therefore, I expected it to be stable and reliable.

I will wait and see. There is also the UPCOMING Shanling M5s (but, once again, the Tidal integration is not yet stable).

I think the most reliable players with Tidal integration are the Astell & Kern (but pricey!).

I tend to think that a device based on Android would be _more_ reliable, not less. Hiby's own R6 seems to be more stable, for example. As long as they don't update to a new version that breaks some of the features, like the ability to get around the audio output limitations so they don't have to dual boot into some non-android OS to output in higher quality (like other devices do). But android is widely adopted, and very mature, unlike hiby's in-house OS which is littered with problems.

To your main question though, R3 has connectivity issues in general, and Tidal doesn't work, so as a disappointed owner, I'd recommend you avoid the R3.

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,547 of 6,859
What about this Pioneer DAP ? Claims to have Tidal + Deezer + TuneIn × Onkyo Music.

I would tend to think that if Pioneer says a feature works, it must be working. They are a very respected giant electronics company.

Pioneer Hi-Res Digital Audio Player, Pink XDP-02U(P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNW5616/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4D7UBb5M0WTAT

Oh... ok.

So many (not to say most or all) of the new advanced (with wifi) DAPs have significant issues.... that may or may not be fixed after countless software updates. My Fiio X7 (1st gen!) still has unresolved issues.

I was interested in the R3 because it is not a full Android device; therefore, I expected it to be stable and reliable.

I will wait and see. There is also the UPCOMING Shanling M5s (but, once again, the Tidal integration is not yet stable).

I think the most reliable players with Tidal integration are the Astell & Kern (but pricey!).

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #4,548 of 6,859
What about this Pioneer DAP ? Claims to have Tidal + Deezer + TuneIn × Onkyo Music.

I would tend to think that if Pioneer says a feature works, it must be working. They are a very respected giant electronics company.

Pioneer Hi-Res Digital Audio Player, Pink XDP-02U(P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNW5616/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4D7UBb5M0WTAT

There are several daps today with stable Tidal both streaming and offline. Just to name a few.

Ibasso DX200/DX150, sometimes it's worth paying a little extra.
FiiO X7ii and FiiO X5 3gen. X7ii is highly recommended.
FiiO M9, not released yet.

Several others, can't remember all of them. Look in the classified, you can often find a good deal there.

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #4,549 of 6,859
Oh... ok.

U can get the activo then, it's a little more affordable

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #4,550 of 6,859
Thank you, tim0chan, stenog & Eyupo92, for all those suggestions :wink:

My experience with the Fiio X7i was so negative that I am now wary of expensive players with amazing specs and appealing claims. My X7 still has unreliable wifi, static noise with Tidal online, and stuttering songs with Tidal offline. There are so many stories, on Head-fi, of wifi DAPs that do not live up to their claims and of deceived users (who trusted the specs) waiting for updates... and waiting....

The R3 was appealing because of its small size... but it seems this is turning into another story like the X7i. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #4,551 of 6,859
+1 for static noise when streaming from Tidal on the R3... especially when using the 2.5mm balanced input. Wifi also never seems to connect automatically, I have to manually scan and then choose the network regardless of which network I try to connect to and I have tried many.

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #4,554 of 6,859
When I ordered my R3, Hiby said more streaming services would come soon.
Now I believe it's never gonna happen. I just hope the Tidal issues will be fixed soon.

So, can anyone recommend a DAP (for the same price point) with a stable firmware and reliable streaming services?

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #4,555 of 6,859
Now I believe it's never gonna happen. I just hope the Tidal issues will be fixed soon.

So, can anyone recommend a DAP (for the same price point) with a stable firmware and reliable streaming services?
I have the onkyo DP-X1 for a few years now and it has been the best DAP ive had so far, it does everything its suppose to so and the UI is awesome. You can buy it used for a bit more than this or new for around 400 US.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #4,556 of 6,859

Look at
1-Pioneer XDP-30R(B) or XDP-02U
-It supports streaming from Tidal,Deezer and TuneIn
-it also supports MQA

2-Fiio M9 it will be release this month
It has custom android os come with pre installed streaming service
Look promising but you need to wait to see If it’s good or not

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #4,557 of 6,859
Just got the R3.

Some quick observations below:

Fast UI.
Out of date graphic lines.
Rare bluetooth connection cutouts while streaming and connected to a bluetooth headphones at the same time. Bluetooth distance capability between devices is great.
Stage depth is good, width is a bit narrow. Soft and warm mid body. Energetic character overall. Great combination with iSine20 and Grado RS2e. Didn't get along well with my beloved ciem Prelude.
Way better balanced out than A&K AK70.
SE sounds like entry level dap to me. However, it's a pleasure to listen to this ergonomic and lightweight device from balanced out, comparing to its SE as I stated, believe me.

Just my two cents.

Edit: Does anybody have R3 leather case here? Should I order one from the official site? I didn't like the case that come with. Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #4,558 of 6,859
Just got the R3.

Some quick observations below:

Fast UI.
Out of date graphic lines.
Rare bluetooth connection cutouts while streaming and connected to a bluetooth headphones at the same time. Bluetooth distance capability between devices is great.
Stage depth is good, width is a bit narrow. Soft and warm mid body. Energetic character overall. Great combination with iSine20 and Grado RS2e. Didn't get along well with my beloved ciem Prelude.
Way better balanced out than A&K AK70.
SE sounds like entry level dap to me. However, it's a pleasure to listen to this ergonomic and lightweight device from balanced out, comparing to its SE as I stated, believe me.

Just my two cents.

Edit: Does anybody have R3 leather case here? Should I order one from the official site? I didn't like the case that come with. Thanks.

I originally didn't get the leather case, but ordered one a few weeks ago from the Hiby site. It is very nice and much better than the plastic case.

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #4,560 of 6,859
hey,

idsd bl -> usb a female -> micro usb -> micro usb to usb c adapter which comes with samsung s8 -> hiby r3 usb c port. this setup doesn't work. I use exactly the same usb a female to micro usb cable while I was using with A&K AK70 except micro usb to usb c adapter. Yes, I see coax on r3 on the left corner but no sound after all. do you guys guess what's wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back