The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Sep 26, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #4,487 of 6,859
I updated to the newest firmware last nite and after the install I could play Tidal songs for the first time. I was very happy!. This morning after rebooting I no longer can play Tidal songs. Not so happy.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #4,488 of 6,859
There are somethings that stem from Tidal. For example, an artist or album may have been present in the past, but is no longer be present at this moment.

On Tidal Android app, this album is no longer displayed. So, no album, no problem.

But Hiby R3 still picks up the album, most probably does not check for the flag that specifies if the album is still present or not. The result ? '2001:Entity not found'

Another case is the damn 'Unknown Error' - we see album/track on Tidal app and can play on smartphone etc. The album is also found by Hiby R3 and when clicked the track list is displayed. But when we click on a track - boom.. 'Unknown error'

Here I think
A) Hiby is not using our user credentials - including which country we subscribed from

B) Hiby is not using Authentication as requested by Tidal. Either Tidal needs the user credentials for each track and Hiby fails to send this data while requesting the track ; or Hiby implements the 'wait for aıthorization time' wrong or simply does not attempt to connect to Tidal at all as it checks for some other flags and decides to not attempt connection at all. Or Tidal has assigned a crappy server and interface to Hiby where requests pass some time and don't pass dome other time. Or the interface assigned to Hiby is region locked - they can access Tidal without problems, but other parts of the world can't.

In any case, adding lots of exception handling should help.

I updated to the newest firmware last nite and after the install I could play Tidal songs for the first time. I was very happy!. This morning after rebooting I no longer can play Tidal songs. Not so happy.

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #4,489 of 6,859
Even though I've had a broken R3 before and thought that was that. I've ordered myself another as it's size looks ideal for me. Hope this one works out

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #4,491 of 6,859
There are somethings that stem from Tidal. For example, an artist or album may have been present in the past, but is no longer be present at this moment.

On Tidal Android app, this album is no longer displayed. So, no album, no problem.

But Hiby R3 still picks up the album, most probably does not check for the flag that specifies if the album is still present or not. The result ? '2001:Entity not found'

Another case is the damn 'Unknown Error' - we see album/track on Tidal app and can play on smartphone etc. The album is also found by Hiby R3 and when clicked the track list is displayed. But when we click on a track - boom.. 'Unknown error'

Here I think
A) Hiby is not using our user credentials - including which country we subscribed from

B) Hiby is not using Authentication as requested by Tidal. Either Tidal needs the user credentials for each track and Hiby fails to send this data while requesting the track ; or Hiby implements the 'wait for aıthorization time' wrong or simply does not attempt to connect to Tidal at all as it checks for some other flags and decides to not attempt connection at all. Or Tidal has assigned a ****ty server and interface to Hiby where requests pass some time and don't pass dome other time. Or the interface assigned to Hiby is region locked - they can access Tidal without problems, but other parts of the world can't.

In any case, adding lots of exception handling should help.

All of this is why it would make SO much more sense to take the Android version they've already been working on, and stripping it down to what they want this player to have, and use the freaking Android Tidal app. Just update the UI to a stripped down version. Then it's just its own branch of the one product, instead of running two parallel systems. It's what I assumed they were doing when this was announced, but I was assured it wasn't. They need better product management, but they're a small company with what is likely a completely barebones dev team and product management is likely a complete afterthought. More reason having two branches of the same project would work better, but it's not a huge surprise.

Honestly, if one of these little companies would just open up their bootloader and open source their OS, they'd be better off. There's plenty of devs that could help out. If they did that with their version of Android and the r6's bootloader, I'd buy one in a heartbeat and contribute to the project.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #4,493 of 6,859
So I can't figure out why the bass response on this unit is so darned weak.
I am starting to wonder if the impedance that was planned for is not what we are actually getting.

Has anybody tested the actual impedance of this unit?

Bumping this. Hearing how my Andro behave on the 2.5 output I wonder if impedance is actually not (much) more than expected (<1ohm)

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #4,494 of 6,859
Bumping this. Hearing how my Andro behave on the 2.5 output I wonder if impedance is actually not (much) more than expected (<1ohm)
And how is that behaviour exactly?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 27, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #4,496 of 6,859
Hi all.

Did anybody successfully connected R3 to an Android phone in Audio mode, played music from Android phone and heard music from headphones connected to R3?

I have USB Audio Player Pro on my Galaxy Note 4 and connect to R3 using the USB B - to - USB C cable that came with LG HiFi DAC.

When I play a song with LG HiFi DAC connected, music comes out fine.

When I listen music on the phone only using UAPP, music comes fine.

When I listen music on R3 only, music comes fine.

However, when I connect R3 to phone and try to play music from UAPP, the music is galloping - songs are played almost in 2x or 3x speed, on UAPP I can see the seconds passing faster than they should. There are no such option to set the play speed on either UAPP or R3.

Did anybody experience such a thing?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #4,498 of 6,859
Hi all.

Did anybody successfully connected R3 to an Android phone in Audio mode, played music from Android phone and heard music from headphones connected to R3?

I have USB Audio Player Pro on my Galaxy Note 4 and connect to R3 using the USB B - to - USB C cable that came with LG HiFi DAC.

However, when I connect R3 to phone and try to play music from UAPP, the music is galloping - songs are played almost in 2x or 3x speed, on UAPP I can see the seconds passing faster than they should. There are no such option to set the play speed on either UAPP or R3.

Have it a try with HiBy Music App.:)

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #4,499 of 6,859
Have it a try with HiBy Music App.:)

Tried after lots of restarting the phone. Result : extreme battery drain on phone ( 1% each second ) and music stops/plays/stops/plays/stops/plays... in less than a second intervals.

Looks like this cable feeds the passive LG HiFi Plus module both with power and data. When connected to R3, it trşes to feed power as well.

Maybe Fiio LC06 cable can help?

As another note, Hiby Music does not have Tidal integration whereas UAPP works 'flawlessly when compared to Tidal on R3'. The same songs that fail on R3 play flawlessly on UAPP. I would suggest to contact UAPP developer to get help on Tidal issues ( of course you will need to pay him) . It could accelarate your fixing efforts.

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #4,500 of 6,859
Hi all.

I ran into the same issue. Go to settings, USB audio tweaks and see if usb tweak 1 is checked. :smile_phones:

Screenshot_USB_Audio_Player_PRO_20180928-072804.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back