The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Sep 10, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #5,791 of 6,859
Got my R3 yesterday. It's great, especially with my Tin T2 phones. I'm a bit disappointed with the BT connect with my LG G7 phone. The R3 is showing only ACC codec running but using the Earstudio ES100 I get an LDAC connection with my phone.

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #5,792 of 6,859
Hi!
I start useing R3 2 month ago. I like it for portable DAP is perfect. I have some question if i use it as DAC. I try to connect it to phone, but i think it's impossible. It's true? The second, if i connect to PC, I can change sound quality to 192khz, 24 bit. It's true or fake? And if I use it with PC can it unfold MQA or not, if can why the maximum quality is 48khz,24bit if i use Tidal in exclusive mode. Maybe in DAC mode the maximum native sound quality is 48khz/24bit?

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #5,793 of 6,859
Got my R3 yesterday. It's great, especially with my Tin T2 phones. I'm a bit disappointed with the BT connect with my LG G7 phone. The R3 is showing only ACC codec running but using the Earstudio ES100 I get an LDAC connection with my phone.
You need to change the codec on your phone to specifically output LDAC. It is but one of many options the R3 supports.

Hi!
I start useing R3 2 month ago. I like it for portable DAP is perfect. I have some question if i use it as DAC. I try to connect it to phone, but i think it's impossible. It's true? The second, if i connect to PC, I can change sound quality to 192khz, 24 bit. It's true or fake? And if I use it with PC can it unfold MQA or not, if can why the maximum quality is 48khz,24bit if i use Tidal in exclusive mode. Maybe in DAC mode the maximum native sound quality is 48khz/24bit?
1. It's possible, you need an OTG adapter on the phone end, then a regular USB cable (big computer shaped port on the phone end connected to the OTG adapter and USB-C on the R3 end. Then set the R3 for USB operation as you did for the PC.
2. It depends on how you set the PC. It can accept 24/192 stream in exclusive mode also. But in shared mode the sampling rate depends on how you set it in windows and is a resampled output.
3. MQA is usually 24/48kHz before unfolding and the R3 only unfolds MQA data it plays itself (not DAC input).

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 10, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #5,794 of 6,859
The R3 is the perfect transport for the chord mojo. Fact!

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #5,795 of 6,859
Sep 10, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #5,796 of 6,859
You need to change the codec on your phone to specifically output LDAC. It is but one of many options the R3 supports.

Umm oops.. When I set up the Bluetooth between the R3 and LG G7 I didn't go into "connection type". By default the connection type is Most Stable. You have to change that yourself to Best Sound Quality :innocent:

I get an LDAC connection now. BTW is the R3 Bluetooth 5? I was using it with my phone which is BT5 and I could go all over the house and the sound never dropped until I went outside behind my steel front door.
Using it with the R6 Pro I lost connection 2 rooms away.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #5,797 of 6,859
Umm oops.. When I set up the Bluetooth between the R3 and LG G7 I didn't go into "connection type". By default the connection type is Most Stable. You have to change that yourself to Best Sound Quality :innocent:

I get an LDAC connection now. BTW is the R3 Bluetooth 5? I was using it with my phone which is BT5 and I could go all over the house and the sound never dropped until I went outside behind my steel front door.
Using it with the R6 Pro I lost connection 2 rooms away.
I was under the impression that reception quality is related to the antenna design and signal strength rather than BT version :sweat_smile: That said I would be happy with either performance but am glad the R3 goes the extra mile for you

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #5,799 of 6,859
Hi everybody.
I”ve just received my Hiby R3 and noticed that it’s really difficult to introduce my 2.5 mm jack into the 2.5mm hole of the DAP. I have to press the jack strongly to reach the end and there’s no “click” when it arrives.
Furthermore, I also have to pull out strongly the jack to be able to get it out of the DAP.
Has anyone experienced the same?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #5,801 of 6,859
The jack is just tight it will get easier over time

Thank you for your response. I wish you were right, but currently the connector is so tight that I’m afraid I could break the weak 2.5mm jack. I’ll be careful these days.

Anyway, I don’t really notice any sound improvement through the balanced output apart from the higher power.

On the other hand, the Tidal app is very very basic. I wish Hiby improves its options in next firmware updates.

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #5,802 of 6,859
On the other hand, the Tidal app is very very basic. I wish Hiby improves its options in next firmware updates.
The main reason I bought R3 instead Shanling M0 as a transport to Mojo was Tidal streaming option. But this very basic and unusable Tidal implementation caused that I rather ended up with 512GB sd card full of flacs and mp3s.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #5,803 of 6,859
The main reason I bought R3 instead Shanling M0 as a transport to Mojo was Tidal streaming option. But this very basic and unusable Tidal implementation caused that I rather ended up with 512GB sd card full of flacs and mp3s.

I can understand your dissapointment. I´m thinking about upgrading to the new Hiby R5 to get the full Android Tidal App and thus have also the offline possibility.

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #5,804 of 6,859
@parabellum777
I have four different 2.5mm cables and each is a bit different. None of them have a positive click at the end of insertion, but some go in a little bit easier than others. They all work fine.

It may just be your cable, but it could also be that your R3 has a slightly narrower 2.5 port.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #5,805 of 6,859
r3 menu1.jpg

Can Anyone identify these menu buttons? So far I haven't been able to find any info on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back