The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 10, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5,491 of 6,859
Thank you, Joe Bloggs and HungryPanda, for your help! Seems like a reasonable price to try the ****, as long as I can wait several weeks for them to arrive.

May 10, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #5,492 of 6,859
I love everything about the R3 except the EQ! Version 3.1 installed. The sound is WAY better than my Cowon Plenu D. I highly recommend it over the Cowon, but OMG, what a disaster the EQ is compared to Cowon!

I don't believe I need to say more. It sounds great off, but when will the EQ be fixed? I would like to see what it can do when working properly?

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #5,493 of 6,859
I love everything about the R3 except the EQ! Version 3.1 installed. The sound is WAY better than my Cowon Plenu D. I highly recommend it over the Cowon, but OMG, what a disaster the EQ is compared to Cowon!

I don't believe I need to say more. It sounds great off, but when will the EQ be fixed? I would like to see what it can do when working properly?

1. What do you see as the problems with it?
2. Have you tried the Magesound 8-ball?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 10, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #5,494 of 6,859
1. What do you see as the problems with it?
2. Have you tried the Magesound 8-ball?

1. Turn it on, and up (at any level +1, +2, etc) 31 Hz for example, and the highs are immediately cut off and or being filtered? The whole presentation sounds like a blanket has been thrown over the entire music range especially the highs. So instead of adding in the frequency of 31 Hz it appears it's lowering the whole output level or doing some type of filtering compensation.

2. Yes, that appears to work as designed, and enjoy it A LOT. Very well implemented and responds immediately and correctly.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #5,495 of 6,859
1. Turn it on, and up (at any level +1, +2, etc) 31 Hz for example, and the highs are immediately cut off and or being filtered? The whole presentation sounds like a blanket has been thrown over the entire music range especially the highs. So instead of adding in the frequency of 31 Hz it appears it's lowering the whole output level or doing some type of filtering compensation.

2. Yes, that appears to work as designed, and enjoy it A LOT. Very well implemented and responds immediately and correctly.

There was a big discussion over on the DX220 thread about whether to boost or cut frequencies when eq'ing, the general consensus was cutting frequencies was better with digital devices, have you tried cutting the unwanted frequencies and the setting the volume as required. Does that sound better?

Or if you like MSEB go with that.

May 11, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #5,496 of 6,859
No one else here has my issue in which the player randomly switches to the next track without any input from the user at all? This happens mostly when connecting new headphones. I also experience the no sound issue upon switching headphones sometimes as well. I'm starting to think my device might be defective since it does this with every firmware revision I've put on the player. :triportsad:

Well to be more specific, I haven't experience the no sound issue since using the latest custom firmware, but that's still fairly recent.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #5,498 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs

Well, my player really is defective. It's now frozen while trying to refresh the database. I've tried pressing the cancel option, but nothing happens. What should I do now? Try powering the DAP off?

I can't return it to Amazon because the return window expired on April 28th.

And I'm also too busy with work to ship it back to Hiby. :triportsad:

EDIT: Powered the device off and rescanned and it's working again.

I'll try resetting to factory settings now to see if it'll help with my other issues. Any other recommendations?

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #5,500 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs

Well, my player really is defective. It's now frozen while trying to refresh the database. I've tried pressing the cancel option, but nothing happens. What should I do now? Try powering the DAP off?

I can't return it to Amazon because the return window expired on April 28th.

And I'm also too busy with work to ship it back to Hiby. :triportsad:

EDIT: Powered the device off and rescanned and it's working again.

I'll try resetting to factory settings now to see if it'll help with my other issues. Any other recommendations?

If you bought it from Amazon US, you can return and replace the player locally instead of shipping it to us in China :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 12, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #5,501 of 6,859
No one else here has my issue in which the player randomly switches to the next track without any input from the user at all? This happens mostly when connecting new headphones. I also experience the no sound issue upon switching headphones sometimes as well. I'm starting to think my device might be defective since it does this with every firmware revision I've put on the player. :triportsad:

Well to be more specific, I haven't experience the no sound issue since using the latest custom firmware, but that's still fairly recent.

I've had similar issues. Mine turned out to be a faulty inline mic button that triggered responses from some devices but not all. Incidentally that was a massdrop ksc75. Great sound, janky everything else

May 12, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #5,502 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs Any chance we could have the Tidal button also go to our custom radio list? I don't use tidal or qobuz, so it's just an icon I never use. I'd love to have faster access to the radio options. Particularly since favorites don't seem to list radio stations either.
Hmm, I don't see how we can arrange that without splitting the firmware tree. :|

May 12, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #5,503 of 6,859
Hmm, I don't see how we can arrange that without splitting the firmware tree. :|

Hiby can add radio to online services list, for example.

No one else here has my issue in which the player randomly switches to the next track without any input from the user at all?

Btw, I have the same issue with randomly switches to next or preview track, try to switch off line in remote control in settings. The cause is bad contact pin in 3,5 jack in R3 I think...

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #5,505 of 6,859
Could that be the cause of my issue as well? Those headphones work fine on my iPhone, come to think of it. Mine mostly randomly pauses the r3

Yep, for me the problem with 3,5 jack in r3 with turned on in-line remote control...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back