The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 17, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #5,521 of 6,859
Hi guys

i need little help here. I am actually enjoying the R3 for when I am out and about with my IEMS. I am trying (desperately) to use as a DLNA renderer connected to my music library on the NAS. Plays fine the 1st track but then it doesn't move down the playlist. I've tried it with Jriver, audirnvana and mconnect. Nothing.
Anybody could help?

It turns out that our test target app for DLNA rendering sends an extra command for going to the next track, which our software has come to rely on but which does not exist on the apps you mentioned. We will update our DLNA renderer implementation for compatibility with these apps later. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Volume problems now. Anyone having issues with airpods and little volume on them. I have the volume cranked on the r3 but the volume is still rather low.

Did you try changing the volume using Bluetooth->Bluetooth volume adjust?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 17, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #5,522 of 6,859
Joe,
In regards to the airpods issue with volume. Yesterday I hooked up another pair of Bluetooth headphones and was able to use the Bluetooth volume adjust and it raised the volume. When I hooked the airpods today, the volume was back to being quite a bit lower. It does not appear as though the airpods like the Bluetooth volume up or down.

May 17, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #5,523 of 6,859
I've had the R3 for 3 or 4 months and I really like it! It serves as a source to my portable DAC/AMPs, a LDAC source for my Sony WH100XM2s, and in a pinch a DAP for my IEMs. However, I have two questions.

1. Is gapless playback possible from Tidal? Tidal is gapless on the IOS app and also with Roon. It would be nice if Tidal would play gaplessly on the R3 also. The gapless playback setting on the R3 seems to only affect playing files off of the SD card.
2. When connected to the iFi iDSD Micro BL using iFis USB-C to USB-A female adapter, i cannot get the iFi to render in MQA (purple light). Again this works fine with the IOS Tidal app and also with Roon. I can see the bit rate light on the iFi change to a higher bit rate, but I'd like the R3 to pass the MQA through to the iFi. I swear it used to do this a month ago. Is there something different about the newer firmware? Am I missing a setting on the R3?

I am torn between the (R3 as transport into the Micro Black) and a DAP like the R6 or R6 Pro. Does any one know if the Micro Black definately is a better solution as far as EQ is concerned?
Both setups are around the same price.

May 17, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #5,524 of 6,859
still liking this player, think I was kickstarter under 20 or something.

But would wish a smaller font\text. to cram in more info
Also hoping for aac support.

If theres a follow up in the same form factor, another wish would be stronger bt signal (bt 5)

May 18, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #5,525 of 6,859
It turns out that our test target app for DLNA rendering sends an extra command for going to the next track, which our software has come to rely on but which does not exist on the apps you mentioned. We will update our DLNA renderer implementation for compatibility with these apps later. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Did you try changing the volume using Bluetooth->Bluetooth volume adjust?

Thank you Joe

May 19, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #5,528 of 6,859
It is listed in its file format on the hiby site

Lossless Format Support

DSD:DSD64/128/256(".dsf", ".dff")
DSD:DSD64(“.iso”)
APE FAST/High/Normal:192kHz/24bit(MAX)
APE Extra High:96kHz/24bit(MAX)
APE Insane:96kHz/24bit(MAX)
AIFF:384kHz/32bit(MAX)
FLAC:384kHz/24bit(MAX)
WAV:384kHz/32bit(MAX)
WMA LOSSLESS:96kHz/24bit(MAX)

Lossy Format Support

MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG...

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #5,529 of 6,859
Is it true that the R3 does not play AAC files?

Been playing them on mine, mostly lengthy radio programmes I've downloaded that were broadcast in AAC. I do find it doesn't seem to always start straight off, or maybe it's just a delay in starting due to the length of the files? Often end up pressing play a few times - guess I need to just do it once & be patient & see what happens...

May 20, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #5,531 of 6,859
No one else here has my issue in which the player randomly switches to the next track without any input from the user at all? This happens mostly when connecting new headphones. I also experience the no sound issue upon switching headphones sometimes as well. I'm starting to think my device might be defective since it does this with every firmware revision I've put on the player. :triportsad:

Well to be more specific, I haven't experience the no sound issue since using the latest custom firmware, but that's still fairly recent.
I've had the same problem several times. If you disable "in-line mic" it will solve this, but then you'll lose the ability to pause/skip using your cable.

May 20, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #5,532 of 6,859
I thought I'd post about my r3 experience, so far I really am enjoying this DAP. Ever since the iPod Classic was discontinued I have been searching for a replacement (albeit, my searching was not too consistent). I was trying to decide between the Fiio M6 and the R3, leaning toward the R3. It was the Easter sale that tipped me over the edge and made me take the plunge with the R3.

I am just using some basic Shure se215 IEMs, but I sure do love the sound of the R3. I loaded it up with @Snoopy112's custom firmware and its even better than before! Thanks for taking the time to modify the firmware @Snoopy112. The screen is beautiful (not iPhone retina quality, but very very good for a DAP), the navigation is easy to figure out, and I love having hardware buttons for volume, play/pause, and skip (although as mentioned earlier in the thread, skip forward and skip back are reversed from what I'd expect them to be).

One issue I have with the R3, is the way it handles albums with multiple artists. For example, I have the album Last Night at Output on my R3. If I navigate to the Albums and then to Last Night at Output and select the album, all of the songs in the album are out of order. Not sure how to fix that aside from maybe tagging the album artist as the artist for each song... Any suggestions? My workaround was creating a playlist for the album (which took some figuring out).

May 20, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #5,533 of 6,859
MQA only works with Tidal or it does rendering with Hiby Player too?

Hiby just mentioned on Facebook they have shown a new player at Beijing HiFi show. R3 Pro coming?

May 20, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #5,535 of 6,859

Users who are viewing this thread

Back