The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 23, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #4,126 of 6,859
30. HiByLink iOS relies on the BLE Bluetooth protocol, the new, low energy consumption but also low bandwidth protocol, the only Bluetooth protocol opened by Apple for general use. Hence the clarity of the cover art is limited by the little amount of data the R3 can transmit to the iPhone.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 23, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #4,127 of 6,859
30. HiByLink iOS relies on the BLE Bluetooth protocol, the new, low energy consumption but also low bandwidth protocol, the only Bluetooth protocol opened by Apple for general use. Hence the clarity of the cover art is limited by the little amount of data the R3 can transmit to the iPhone.

31. “Play Next” and “Add to Queue” feature.

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #4,128 of 6,859
Regarding the call for a "neutral" filter setting, I gather that this is related to questions regarding the 2 (now 3) AA lowpass / rolloff filters available for the R3.

I'll take this opportunity to echo and expand on a reply on this topic I made in pm.

The full names for the 3 AA filters on the R3:
Antialiasing ("AA") rolloff ("lowpass") filters can be characterized for the most part by their phase and rolloff rate. Unfortunately the names for all the filters for the R3 only specify one or the other.

So for a complete picture:
1. Fast rolloff filter--is a linear phase, fast rolloff filter.
2. Slow rolloff filter--is a linear phase, slow rolloff filter.
3. (new) Minimum phase filter--is a minimum phase, fast rolloff filter.

What an AA filter does, why it's there:
It should affect all DAPs both in DAP and DAC mode. The digital to analog converter (DAC) reconstructs the audio signal from the digital signals given (by the audio file being played by the player, or the connected device in the case of DAC mode). At the end of this reconstruction, components of the output signal that are higher than half the sample rate must be discarded (filtered out). In an attempt to simply the explanation: those are spurious signals created by the converter that do not appear in the original signal that was digitized. And no, this is not a flaw of the DAC used in a particular player: all DACs work like this.

The reconstruction lowpass filter is responsible for filtering out these spurious signals. The steep slope filter attempts to preserve as much of the digitized signal in the output as possible while filtering out all of the spurious signal; this is the "correct" filter, but if you play artificially generated square waves through the system, what comes out at the output (as measured by an oscilloscope) is square waves that have extra waves of overshoot before and after each step transition (google "Gibbs phenomenon").

People misinterpret these oscilloscope outputs to mean that the "correct" filter produces audible ringing artifacts, when in fact these "artifacts" occur outside of the audible range and in any case only occurs with artificial square wave input signals, in which case those are the mathematically correct output.

Nevertheless, a "gentle slope" filter may now be chosen, which will eliminate the ringing "artifacts" in the square waves. It does almost as good a job at eliminating the spurious output signals, but also attenuates some of the high frequencies--it starts cutting off signal in a "gentle" slope between the high audible frequencies and the top frequency that can be digitized (at half the sample rate). The possibly audible effect of this is more "rounded" highs--somewhat comparable to how high frequencies are attenuated by the air between loudspeakers and your ears, except you can now apply this to headphones.

The effect of different AA filters:
Slower rolloffs take out some of the top end. The slower the rolloff the more so.

The short-delay filters put any ringing caused by antialiasing at the back end of the impulse, which theoretically masks the ringing better.

The rationale for using each filter may be as follows:
Sharp rolloff: your high frequency hearing doesn't go up to the Nyquist frequency (22050Hz in the case of 44.1kHz sample rate) so you choose to use a sharp rolloff filter. This way you get flat response up to the limits of your hearing and no audible ringing (only inaudible ringing at 20000-22050Hz)

Slow (or super slow) rolloff: your high frequency hearing does go up to and above 20000Hz so much that you do hear ringing at those frequencies; besides, modern pop music is mastered too brightly for your tastes. You kill two birds with one stone, the slow rolloff filter: it makes ringing less noticeable and the highest frequencies less prominent.

Linear phase filters (i.e. the ones not labelled "short delay"): you believe preserving the phase relationships of instrumental sounds up to the highest frequencies is beneficial to correct soundstage reconstruction.

Minimum phase filters (i.e. the ones labelled "short delay"): you hear ringing with the "not short delay" version of the same filter and want to make it less obvious without switching to a slower rolloff filter. Or, you really have use for a shorter delay (playing twitch games on your i5???)

That said, don't be surprised if you don't hear a difference; the differences are subtle at best.

As for adding a "neutral" filter setting: if you've read this far, you might have gathered that an AA filter is a necessary part of the audio chain. If I had to pick one I would say the fast rolloff linear phase filter is the neutral one?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #4,129 of 6,859
Regarding the call for a "neutral" filter setting, I gather that this is related to questions regarding the 2 (now 3) AA lowpass / rolloff filters available for the R3.

I'll take this opportunity to echo and expand on a reply on this topic I made in pm.

The full names for the 3 AA filters on the R3:

What an AA filter does, why it's there:

The effect of different AA filters:

As for adding a "neutral" filter setting: if you've read this far, you might have gathered that an AA filter is a necessary part of the audio chain. If I had to pick one I would say the fast rolloff linear phase filter is the neutral one?

Thanks so much Joe. I hope you are recharging from a very intense few months and all the best at what next you set your ideas to :D

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #4,130 of 6,859
IMG_20180824_002009.jpg Firmware 1.12 is now available via OTA!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #4,131 of 6,859
Two comments on @Vimtoman 's list:
28. Timer setting saved.
I believe it is saved? You set the timer using the slider (when "off" is unchecked) and toggle the saved timer using the "off" checkbox. There's even a timer counter showing the time remaining before poweroff.

Best regards,
Joe
This was my suggestion. What I asked for was to "remember" the setting On/Off, not the number of minutes (which is saved indeed). As it is, this setting returns to Off every time it has been used.
I would like the option to keep the Sleep timer On if I want to, because that is what I use almost every day (or rather night).

Now each time when I want to fall asleep listening to music from the position/song where I was last time, I first have to swipe left, open the main menu, go to System settings, scroll to Sleep timer, turn this from the Off position back to On, then press arrow left to leave the menu, swipe right two times to go back to the song where I started and resume play.

Maybe it's just me, but for people like me who often use their DAP to fall asleep, this would make a lot of difference.

Anyway, good to see you back on the forum.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #4,132 of 6,859
Installed the latest firmware, however ldac-compatible speaker sony srs-x77 is able to play music only in sbc mode, there is a dead silence when aptx or ldac is chosen in r3 menu... ideas/suggestions anyone?

PS
Sony nw-zx300 are playing in ldac mode with ease

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,133 of 6,859
Firmware version 1.12 changelog

1.Added LDAC bidirectional support over Bluetooth
2.Added portal function,USB input(output)⇄R3⇄Bluetooth input(output)
3.Added playlist import and export funtion
4.Added screen saver setting function
5.Added font size setting function
6.Added sleep shutdown function in pulldown shortcut menu
7.Added DSD gain compensation function
8.Improved USB output compatibility
9.Added output indicator display for corresponding sampling rate
10.Added memory function of the volume adjustment over Bluetooth device
11.Various other bug fixes.
12.Added further debug messages to TIDAL client (e.g. "playback fail", which we haven't been able to replicate in-house, should now come with an error code we can refer to)

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #4,136 of 6,859
This was my suggestion. What I asked for was to "remember" the setting On/Off, not the number of minutes (which is saved indeed). As it is, this setting returns to Off every time it has been used.
I would like the option to keep the Sleep timer On if I want to, because that is what I use almost every day (or rather night).

Now each time when I want to fall asleep listening to music from the position/song where I was last time, I first have to swipe left, open the main menu, go to System settings, scroll to Sleep timer, turn this from the Off position back to On, then press arrow left to leave the menu, swipe right two times to go back to the song where I started and resume play.

Maybe it's just me, but for people like me who often use their DAP to fall asleep, this would make a lot of difference.
There's now a quick toggle from the top pull down menu for the sleep timer in firmware 1.12.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #4,137 of 6,859
IMG_20180823_232225.jpg

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #4,139 of 6,859
Can anyone confirm the R3 can send AND receive BT in LDAC and not just send? If this is true and it get Spotify support, I'd be very interested. Of course if it take too long I may just loose interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back