The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 21, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #4,096 of 6,859
Hi there, reading the few last pages my understanding is that with the latest FW update there is no longer any differences between the chinese R3 and the international one ?
Does that mean I can safely order one from Taobao and expect it to stream Tidal ? :astonished: cuz it's quite cheaper than from Hiby official store, plus they have a Red version that looks really niiice on there

Also is the Wifi signal any good ? I had an Hidizs AP200 and the Wifi signal was extremely weak, I needed to be next to my router in order to connect, no good :triportsad:.

Thanks in advance, oh and if anyone has tested the R3 with some Nicehck HK6 I'd love to know if they pair well together.

(I know I ask a lot of questions, sorry :beyersmile: )

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #4,098 of 6,859
Volume is not disabled when doing usb out?

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #4,100 of 6,859
I have the same issue when using a USB-C to Micro USB cable with the Q1MKII - the volume control on the R3 remains active regardless of the USB mode I choose in settings?
I have been told that the usb mode in settings is for something entirely different other than usb audio out ( it has options for storage, dock and audio).

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #4,101 of 6,859
Volume is not disabled when doing usb out?

I have 2 USB cables, HiBy coax and the Shanling USB-C to micro. The R3 volume control affects the signal with the HiBy cable, but not with the Shanling cable.
There also seems to be a consensus that the Shanling cable sounds more open and clean.

It seems like the R3 provides 2 digital signals, one raw, unmanipulated that’s being used by the Shanling cable, and another one after digital signal processing, used by the HiBy cable.

I prefer the Shanling cable.
PS: did anyone use the FIIO USB-C to micro cable? Is the volume control working with that one? It’s a nice, short cable and cheaper than the Shanling.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #4,103 of 6,859
I have 2 USB cables, HiBy coax and the Shanling USB-C to micro. The R3 volume control affects the signal with the HiBy cable, but not with the Shanling cable.
There also seems to be a consensus that the Shanling cable sounds more open and clean.

It seems like the R3 provides 2 digital signals, one raw, unmanipulated that’s being used by the Shanling cable, and another one after digital signal processing, used by the HiBy cable.

I prefer the Shanling cable.
PS: did anyone use the FIIO USB-C to micro cable? Is the volume control working with that one? It’s a nice, short cable and cheaper than the Shanling.
I tried with a usb C adapter from OnePlus i used with my Micro BL. I have the ifi OTG cable will give that a try. Thanks for clarifying that there might be 2 digital signals outputting from the usb in addition to a spdif signal.
I have the FiiO CL06 Cable and the volume is still active on the R3 when paired with a FiiO Q1MKII.
I have a few that i'll try and get back to you.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #4,104 of 6,859
view
Using Fiio CL06 and yes R3 volume is interfering with DAC.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #4,105 of 6,859
view
Using Fiio CL06 and yes R3 volume is interfering with DAC.
I tried the ifi usb c OTG cable and volume is still enabled.

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #4,107 of 6,859
With the two USB C - micro usb otg cables that I have the volume scale appears, goes up and down, but the volume does not change. So it’s appears to be set at a fixed level over usb. Generic usb C otg from eBay $10 and $60 ForzaAudioWorks usb C otg.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #4,108 of 6,859
That's the exact setup I've been working toward, R3 + Mojo + Nightowl.
Seems like I'm on the right track if your experience is that stellar!
There are people here on the forum who certainly have objectively and subjectively much better setups, but for the money I paid, this combo really is sounding amazing!
The NightHawk is another great headphone, and can be found even cheaper, but of course is an open design.
If I'd be willing to spend more money, I would consider the MrSpeakers AEON closed as this is Rob Watts' upgrade from the NightHawk, or the ZMF Blackwood, since @Rhamnetin, who seems to have a LOT of experience is calling this the best closed HP. That said, the NightOwl just lets me greatly enjoy any music I can throw at it and I don't see myself upgrading for a looong time!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #4,109 of 6,859
There are people here on the forum who certainly have objectively and subjectively much better setups, but for the money I paid, this combo really is sounding amazing!
The NightHawk is another great headphone, and can be found even cheaper, but of course is an open design.
If I'd be willing to spend more money, I would consider the MrSpeakers AEON closed as this is Rob Watts' upgrade from the NightHawk, or the ZMF Blackwood, since @Rhamnetin, who seems to have a LOT of experience is calling this the best closed HP. That said, the NightOwl just lets me greatly enjoy any music I can throw at it and I don't see myself upgrading
for a looong time!
I’m likely to pair it with one of these!

8E785F71-205D-496E-816A-0944484EFF2E.jpeg

3CE73C52-DB23-4643-AA1D-78437140D001.jpeg

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #4,110 of 6,859
If I'd be willing to spend more money, I would consider the MrSpeakers AEON closed as this is Rob Watts' upgrade from the NightHawk, or the ZMF Blackwood, since @Rhamnetin, who seems to have a LOT of experience is calling this the best closed HP. That said, the NightOwl just lets me greatly enjoy any music I can throw at it and I don't see myself upgrading for a looong time!

Sounds nice, glad you’re enjoying your NightOwls as the AQ are really very nice sounding hp as I’ve got the NightHawks, might be the most comfortable hp I’ve ever worn esp for long listening sessions..,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back