The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 25, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #4,157 of 6,859
For variation my favorite error code
20180825_123101.jpg

Nope. :confused:
Sometimes I get errors when I try to open certain albums via Tidal.
IyZ4yYB.jpg

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #4,158 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs Great to see you back! I hope your issues with HiBy get solved in a positive way for you.

BTW, any clue about this? Will it be featured in an upcoming firmware? This is my first DAP in ages so I don't know if this feature is common in DAPS these days, but I was quite surprised to see a so regular feature didn't work in such an advanced device...

Thanks!

Hi!

I got my R3 some weeks ago and, I think it's a great device for the price. Waiting for the leather case to arrive.

Does any of you have been able to use the remote included in iOS-remote-featured earphones? I tried several models, including the one that come with my iPhone that I've never used (the plastic box was was still wrapped), and although play/pause/skip button works nicely, the volume control doesn't seem to work.

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #4,159 of 6,859
Do you know what the technical difference is between the FiiO cable and the Shanling cable that makes one remain affected by the R3 volume control and the other to take sole control of the volume or is it simply a difference between the way the Mojo and the Q1 operate? Thanks!

I have never tried the FIIO cable, but based on the difference between the Shanling cable(no volume control) and the HiBy coax cable (volume control, less clean sound with Mojo) I can only assume that there are 2 different digital outputs on the USB/C connector, and depending on which pin a cable is using, volume control has an effect or not. Like you I would be happy about a bit perfect output signal.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #4,160 of 6,859
I am interested in the R3 for mobile use primarily with IEM's. All plugged into 3.5mm out. I currently have a Rockbox'd XDUOO X3 and I am hoping that someone has both and can compare it with the R3. Is it comparable sound wise? Would it be an upgrade sound wise or even a side grade? I generally use TRN V80 but I also have a Dunu dn-1000. I also have a Hifiman Re272 that I would like to try in balanced mode. I use a Sennheiser HD579 (32 ohm) at home. Thanks in advance for any info!
XDUOO X3 Has an optical output, which is nice. I use that with a Schiit Multibit DAC and it sounds great to me. For portable use, I think the R3 would drive phones slightly better.

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #4,161 of 6,859
Can someone tell me the format for cover art to display on R3? My FLAC files use imbedded meta data and display on my other DAPs, but not on the R3. Also, Tidal will not play any tracks. I’m signed in and everything displays fine, but ever track I select fails to play and shows a message that says “problem playing track”.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #4,162 of 6,859
Can someone tell me the format for cover art to display on R3? My FLAC files use imbedded meta data and display on my other DAPs, but not on the R3. Also, Tidal will not play any tracks. I’m signed in and everything displays fine, but ever track I select fails to play and shows a message that says “problem playing track”.

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: cover art... Embed the art and have a copy of it as cover.jpg in the folder. Ensure size is 300x300. Works in every DAP i have tried including the walkmans.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #4,163 of 6,859
There have been lots of discussions about shuffle pay, which is not really random and can get hung up on certain songs and challenges with playlists.
Personally I hope that it will be improved further, but generally enjoy the user interface. Nice touch screen solution.
(I also have a Cayin N3 which also uses a HiBy operating system, and with the N3 I often used the iOS App to remote control it. The R3 is easier to operate directly)

Sound wise I personally prefer a more neutral sound, the R3 IMHO is a little heavy handed at processing the music, kind of emphasizing everything, bass to treble.
That's why I pair it with a Chord Mojo, but many seem to like the punchy and crisp sound signature. I compared it with a slight HDR processing of a photo.
I prefer fine arts style music :)

Hey bro. Thanks and sorry for the late reply. I'm thinking buying it tomorrow. A used one but still has a warranty.
Are the current issues tolerable as well? I've seen there's like a list in previous thread combined with issue found and wishlist I think.

I'm thinking if I should wait more, like the successor of Sony NW-A40/45 since I'm leaning toward warm but it seems the HiBy R3 tends to be more on warm/neutral sounding.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #4,164 of 6,859
Hey bro. Thanks and sorry for the late reply. I'm thinking buying it tomorrow. A used one but still has a warranty.
Are the current issues tolerable as well? I've seen there's like a list in previous thread combined with issue found and wishlist I think.

I'm thinking if I should wait more, like the successor of Sony NW-A40/45 since I'm leaning toward warm but it seems the HiBy R3 tends to be more on warm/neutral sounding.

I personally can live with the current issues, but I am only using it as a transport for the Mojo.
The one issue that is a little annoying but will hopefully fixed is the shuffle, which seems totally not random, sometimes repeating a song, or playing it again after just one other song.
Sound wise I would not call the R3 warm, rather punchy. Not neutral.
I can live with it, but get tired of listening to it rather quickly.
My reference is the Mojo, and that one is really smooth, engaging and invloving!

Maybe another ineteresting alternative:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-generation-ultraportable-hifi-mus?ref=1k1bet

Beware, Hidizs has had issues with usability in the past, but this player looks nice!

Good luck!

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #4,165 of 6,859
I personally can live with the current issues, but I am only using it as a transport for the Mojo.
The one issue that is a little annoying but will hopefully fixed is the shuffle, which seems totally not random, sometimes repeating a song, or playing it again after just one other song.
Sound wise I would not call the R3 warm, rather punchy. Not neutral.
I can live with it, but get tired of listening to it rather quickly.
My reference is the Mojo, and that one is really smooth, engaging and invloving!

Maybe another ineteresting alternative:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-generation-ultraportable-hifi-mus?ref=1k1bet

Beware, Hidizs has had issues with usability in the past, but this player looks nice!

Good luck!

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply bro. Where are you from by the way? I'm from PH. I guess it depends how we hear. Here already see a lot that it's more on warm/neutral sounding.
I think that happens also on some players but it's pretty annoying.

Yeah already saw it but with that price I think better to have a used Sony NW-A45?

So what can you say, wait more (like new players in the market) or get the HiBy R3 now? Also, seems Spotify looks like a pipe dream. Heck, even the Tidal application seems buggy from what I've read.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #4,166 of 6,859
Anyone else having trouble updating to firmware 1.12? I'm on 1.11.

With OTA, I get "Uknown Error" message and via Micro sd, I get a "v_v file error" and "v_v failed".

I have tried resetting the device and still have the same issue.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #4,167 of 6,859
Re: cover art... Embed the art and have a copy of it as cover.jpg in the folder. Ensure size is 300x300. Works in every DAP i have tried including the walkmans.

Embedding is enough, no need for the cover.jpg in the folder. You can go up to, IIRC, 500px by 500px for the size. Certainly the Bandcamp standard of 700x700 is too much & doesn't display unfortunately. Lot of mine are 400x400 due to the max on a previous player, & they show fine.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #4,168 of 6,859
Anyone else having trouble updating to firmware 1.12? I'm on 1.11.

With OTA, I get "Uknown Error" message and via Micro sd, I get a "v_v file error" and "v_v failed".

I have tried resetting the device and still have the same issue.
I had issues too. I was doing OTA, all though I didn't get a message it would start to download and get to .01 mb and stop, it did this 6 times. I shut it totally off, turned back on and did the update after boot up and it did it right away.
Yeah for the LDAC!

Aug 26, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #4,169 of 6,859
XDUOO X3 Has an optical output, which is nice. I use that with a Schiit Multibit DAC and it sounds great to me. For portable use, I think the R3 would drive phones slightly better.
My error. The X10 has an optical output.

Aug 26, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #4,170 of 6,859

Putting a copy in the folder solved it. Must have something to do with the tagging application used to embed the cover art in the file. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back