The HEADSIX, a Head-Fi support sales-action
Jan 11, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #541 of 917
Jan is just awesome, his service is even too good.
Yesterday, the Qable that came with it, gave only bassless, mono sound in my left ear. (that one that plugs into the USB of your iPod (line-out?))
So I mailed him, and he sent me directly another one, but I cleaned the plug for the second time, and it works perfectly now...
But that's my fault, for what the amp, I love it, makes KSC 75 notacibly better, and today or tomorrow D5000's will arive
smily_headphones1.gif

What surprised me was when I listened to Afraid to Shoot Strangers, I had the idea the high's were a bit (too) smooth, but when I listened to Wish You Were Here, that idea was gone...
Anyways, I only listened to it after 01:00, so I wasn't very concentrated :p

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #542 of 917
It definitely beings out and improves the soundstage in your PMP, I use it a lot with my MZ-NH700, even with the custon EQ (heavy on the bass and also on the treble), and even with that it definitely sounded better (let alone louder) with my MDR-EX90SL IEM's and also with my NC60 NC cans as well, however, it works much better through a line out jack rather than a phones jack (less distortion [THD] due to not having to use the volume control to accomodate, when set at 25-30/30 on my 5 mW Walkmen), especially with my D-NE700 CD Walkman, and I seemed to notice then that only a line out has enough umphhh in it to sucessfully (and loudly) drive my vintage 600 ohm Sennheiser HD420 cans (boy am I glad I dug these out of the garage, thanks to all of you guys!), it definitely brought these boys back to life after almost 20+ years in storage!

Kudos to Dr. Meier and all at Meier Audio!!!

Jan 13, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #543 of 917
After the first few little issues with the recessed jacks, the amp is performing wonderfully.

It's mating very happily with the Senn HD280s. I finally understood the bass capability on those cans! It's also added better separation and soundstage to them. I am hearing details on "Riders on the Storm", "Love Me Two Times" (the Doors) and some other PJ Harvey songs that I never noticed, like the background stomps in the percussion.

With the AKG K701 (Stock), I am having problems getting it to cooperate with the mini adapter that came with them, but this is most likely another recessed jack issue.

It's making me want to give up my Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed.....which was something I thought was close to impossible as that is such a FUN and bouncy amp.

Also Dr Jan has excellent service, so that's always the cherry on the sundae.

Did anybody thought about a mod to fix the recessed jack issue?

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #544 of 917
I've updated my earlier thread a couple of pages back. Turns out I just have a loose headphone jack. As long as you have a battery installed and the jacks are working properly you should'nt have connection issues. I'll provide an update once my issue is resolved. Jan is totally superb to work with.

Rich

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #546 of 917
I just have to say this thing is a beast and extremely energy efficient. I always forget to turn off the amp and end up leaving it on for a long time and I am still only on my second battery. I am easily getting well over 50 hours per alkaline battery. Also, I have been carrying this around everywhere and it still looks brand new. No scratches or anything. Great build quality. I feel as if I could take down a bear with this thing.

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #547 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thijs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jan is just awesome, his service is even too good.
Yesterday, the Qable that came with it, gave only bassless, mono sound in my left ear. (that one that plugs into the USB of your iPod (line-out?))
So I mailed him, and he sent me directly another one, but I cleaned the plug for the second time, and it works perfectly now...

FWIW the black mini-to-mini cable that came with my Headsix appears to be defective. When connected to the source, rotating it around causes it to cut in and out and lose the right channel. Furthermore, it is difficult if not impossible to maintain a clean signal. I did not ask Jan for a new one because I did not want to bother him (and i have others lying around), but I just thought I'd post this just in case anyone else was experiencing a similar problem.

In other words, if you think you are experiencing problems with the input jack on the Headsix, check the supplied input cable first.

It's also great that Jan was willing to replace your mini-to-mini cable. His service to me during my order was also outstanding. I would definitely buy from him again.

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #550 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW the black mini-to-mini cable that came with my Headsix appears to be defective. When connected to the source, rotating it around causes it to cut in and out and lose the right channel. Furthermore, it is difficult if not impossible to maintain a clean signal. I did not ask Jan for a new one because I did not want to bother him (and i have others lying around), but I just thought I'd post this just in case anyone else was experiencing a similar problem.

In other words, if you think you are experiencing problems with the input jack on the Headsix, check the supplied input cable first.

It's also great that Jan was willing to replace your mini-to-mini cable. His service to me during my order was also outstanding. I would definitely buy from him again.

Same problem with my cable, even if the cable is used on other amps it works only if it is flexed or rotated the right way. I just chucked it and used one of the other 10 cables I have. Not worth troubling Jan since I have so many.

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #551 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has any one driven DT990 pros with this amp yet? If so do you get a good sound level (loud) ?

I bought DT990pro just now. The adequate volume turns under 90degree on High current mode. I feel its full volume is 4 times larger than the adequate.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #554 of 917
After more than 1000 hours with it. Let's see... About 1.2k hours to be exact. I notice a drastic change in the sound for the headsix. The bass switched from mild to about double to triple the original bass. The treble lessens. But there's a slight decrease in detail.

More noticiable changes
The bass is refined. Very refined. Tight in other words.
Vocals seems to lose a bit of detail. The inhale of a vocalist is not as noticeable as before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back