The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Jun 18, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #1,906 of 2,230
I just think about getting a couple of new drives on Aliexpress, but there are so many options that I get lost, I keep researching the reviews I see of the drives that people buy and test.
I think this test is very valid since it's not that expensive and worse than it is, there's no way to stay :L3000:

1643668634626.png

Did you manage to test any of those?

//GF

Jun 18, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #1,907 of 2,230
I found several 40mm models on Aliexpress that states "subwoofer"or "bass speaker", similar to this item:
"bass speaker"

Anyone knows if these are usless as fullrange speaker? Should they be in 2-way configuration to work?

The graph looks tempting for a helmet speaker project.

Another one states its a "helmet speaker" or "bass speaker"
helmet speaker

It looks pretty expensive in the choice of materials, but what would make it helmet specific? Is that a design that does not need a box/cabinette to play with?

//GF

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #1,908 of 2,230
I found several 40mm models on Aliexpress that states "subwoofer"or "bass speaker", similar to this item:
"bass speaker"

Anyone knows if these are usless as fullrange speaker? Should they be in 2-way configuration to work?

The graph looks tempting for a helmet speaker project.

Another one states its a "helmet speaker" or "bass speaker"
helmet speaker

It looks pretty expensive in the choice of materials, but what would make it helmet specific? Is that a design that does not need a box/cabinette to play with?

//GF
The graphs are full of crap.

I've tested 3 sets of 40mm drivers and they're all lacking severely in bass. Not sure what chassis they're using but those graphs are definitely fake.

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #1,909 of 2,230
The graphs are full of crap.

I've tested 3 sets of 40mm drivers and they're all lacking severely in bass. Not sure what chassis they're using but those graphs are definitely fake.

Did you test any of the "wool" speakers also?

Do you know of any good 40mm models that has very much punch and deep bass?

I compared my cheap aliexpress 40mm to some older china 50mm and the 50mm are WAY ahead of the 40mm. I was hoping to find some 40mm of better quality that fits the purpouse.. Its mounted in helmet.

//GF

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #1,910 of 2,230
Did you test any of the "wool" speakers also?

Do you know of any good 40mm models that has very much punch and deep bass?

I compared my cheap aliexpress 40mm to some older china 50mm and the 50mm are WAY ahead of the 40mm. I was hoping to find some 40mm of better quality that fits the purpouse.. Its mounted in helmet.

//GF
Not too sure to be honest, I've tried the blue empress, orange jbl, and some random one and they all had almost no bass. I could be wrong but I think 40mm drivers in general are going to be bass light unless they're focal.

Don't trust the graphs, its 100% fake, its too smooth to be real.

Jun 19, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #1,911 of 2,230
Generally there are 4 soldering tabs, on the "soldering board". the inside are used in the factory to solder the voice coil to the board. The outside ( mark with red for + and no color or green for -) are for you to solder the cable on. They separate so there is less risk of you melting the solder too much and make the voice coil loose or break contact.
This is the exact reason why I thought I loss 1 hd800 driver, using bad soldering iron with low heat, not enough to melt the solder but enough to melt the surrounding plastic and the very thin coil become loose ( voice coil is much thinner than your hp cable, so lower heat is enough to melt)
So either with 2 or 4 tabs, use soldering iron with enough power and make it quick. With 2 tabs driver you have to be very careful.

Jun 19, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #1,912 of 2,230
Not too sure to be honest, I've tried the blue empress, orange jbl, and some random one and they all had almost no bass. I could be wrong but I think 40mm drivers in general are going to be bass light unless they're focal.

Don't trust the graphs, its 100% fake, its too smooth to be real.

Yeah, most info on aliexpress is fake. I buy lots of stuff there and i learn how to pick what to buy from there and what to find other places.

Anything that needs high quality or perfect size better come from another source :)

I made some searching for focal driver and found none.

Do you know where i can find those, and if they work on system with no sealed box behind?

Maybe that is also issue for me with lack of bass.

Thanks for nice reply guys!

//GF

Jun 19, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #1,913 of 2,230
Found this, looks like similar items:
40mm speaker, wool, aliexpress

40mm speaker aiaiai

589844a8-eeb8-4ca3-b458-8af441eafef7_Screenshot+2020-12-08+at+13.45.53.png

Jun 19, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,914 of 2,230
I found another interesting speaker model, that seems to be sealed on the backside.

Does anyone know where i can find similar module / speaker to this:

XSound-3-Lightweight.jpg

If one can seal the backside like the Xsound 3, and still get good sund, this wold be the perfect speaker for any helmet application.

//GF

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #1,915 of 2,230
Vintage time (and don't we all like that!). Had reason to go through a few of my AKG K500 for repairs and renovation, including replacing a faulty driver.

As extensive as my headphone collection is, K500 (modified) is still one of my go to-headphones. It has a realistic tonal balance, a fine sound stage and a nice "being there"-feeling. More about the K500 can be found in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k500-love.562787/

One problem the drivers of K500 and K400 were afflicted with is the plating of the magnet flaking off. Some of the headphones, I would say one out of ten, developed this fault as the years went by (the headphones were introduced in the beginning of the 1990s). Sadly there's not much to be done except replacing the driver, but on the other hand there are quite a few of these headphones still around second-hand, especially in Germany. But be aware, there were three different types of drivers in the K500 and they should be matched. See link above.

I haven't seen any photos of this so here goes. The problem is that the chrome (?) plated magnet starts to peel, and those flakes get stuck in the magnet gap, preventing the coil from moving freely. And there's not a few flakes, but a lot, like metallic dandruff. You can see them on my work bench below, those silver remnants beside driver and diaphragm, and also in the magnet housing. So, if you have a scraping driver chances are it must be replaced. Which I did with this K500 which now sounds as splendid as ever.

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2843dark.jpg

IMG_2846light.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,917 of 2,230
Vintage time (and don't we all like that!). Had reason to go through a few of my AKG K500 for repairs and renovation, including replacing a faulty driver.

As extensive as my headphone collection is, K500 (modified) is still one of my go to-headphones. It has a realistic tonal balance, a fine sound stage and a nice "being there"-feeling. More about the K500 can be found in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k500-love.562787/

One problem the drivers of K500 and K400 were afflicted with is the plating of the magnet flaking off. Some of the headphones, I would say one out of ten, developed this fault as the years went by (the headphones were introduced in the beginning of the 1990s). Sadly there's not much to be done except replacing the driver, but on the other hand there are quite a few of these headphones still around second-hand, especially in Germany. But be aware, there were three different types of drivers in the K500 and they should be matched. See link above.

I haven't seen any photos of this so here goes. The problem is that the chrome (?) plated magnet starts to peel, and those flakes get stuck in the magnet gap, preventing the coil from moving freely. And there's not a few flakes, but a lot, like metallic dandruff. You can see them on my work bench below, those silver remnants beside driver and diaphragm, and also in the magnet housing. So, if you have a scraping driver chances are it must be replaced. Which I did with this K500 which now sounds as splendid as ever.

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2843dark.jpg

IMG_2846light.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

Wow, that's an impressive work right there, kudos! If I may ask, was putting a membrane inside its basket any difficult? I imagine that this had to be a rather delicate job :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 15, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #1,918 of 2,230
Dunno if this is outdated, but here comes some driver picture of th909
20210518_204935.jpg
20210518_205138.jpg
20210518_205057.jpg

Aug 17, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,919 of 2,230
Wow, that's an impressive work right there, kudos! If I may ask, was putting a membrane inside its basket any difficult? I imagine that this had to be a rather delicate job :)
Misunderstanding. Those flakes are magnetic and impossible to remove from the magnetic gap. Can't be repaired. Only solution is to change the bad driver for a working one.

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,920 of 2,230
Don't know, if this is the right place for eletrostatic drivers, but I just took pictures of my DC VOCE without pads.

Attachments

• 20220816_122136.jpg
    20220816_122136.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220816_122154.jpg
    20220816_122154.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back