The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
May 22, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #1,891 of 2,235
May 22, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #1,894 of 2,235
May 22, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #1,895 of 2,235
Is that a cork gasket around the cup edge??
It feels like some kind of rubber silicone cork compound. Has kind of leathery feel to it. It bends so it's definately not solid cork.
IMG_20220522_221635.jpg

It looks like they used some thick wiring. Maybe 20awg silver stranded wire?
I'd guess it's same alumiloy wire they use for the cable. Impossible to tell for sure.

Holy schiit @Roderick . Looks so cheap even in comparison to Hifiman’s bottom tier drivers.

Hifiman’s bottom tier is only crap because Hifiman purposely makes them crap with the crappiest magnets even though the parts cost difference is nearly nil. Its all part of their marketing scheme to justify HE6se and Susvara prices.
I've thought about replacing magnets on some cheap Hifimans. Could be interesting. :)
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11774874.jpg

Do you think that’s intentional? Will you try sealing to see the effect?
Too scary :) Those holes could balance pressure between front and back and I'm worried something extreme might happen if I close those. Or those holes could just be for making sure drivers get required air if user decides to wear headphones with tight seal. Abyss has said many times that seal must be broken with earpads. So maybe with tight clamp and those holes blocked headphones would produce very little bass.

It seems that those wrinkles are "normal". Atleast until someone actually comes up with a picture of non-wrinkled driver.

I checked other driver and it has wrinkles too.
IMG_20220522_215415.jpg

It does not sound broken, usually. Besides tonal oddities it actually sounds quite phenomenal. However drivers can't handle very loud volumes without distorting or too much air (earpads very far from ear). I always pause the music before taking of the headphones because drivers will distort audibly in free air if not on low volume.

Besides high volume and free air issues there is something strange with driver behavior that could have something to do with those wrinkles. Sometimes there is strange resonance that comes and goes. Mostly it happens with piano music for some reason. Bass can also distort in surpsising places. I listened trance with quite heavy bass without issues but then right after it distorted with Josh Hommes "Cruel World". That track has substantial bass but it's something spesific in that bass that makes the driver to loose control.

...Or it could just be a hair on the diaphgram. Impossible to tell because I can't access front of the driver.

Quite from ASR ab1266 TC review:
"To check distortion and clipping, I turned up the volume during some instrumental female vocals. As I did the highs got a bit distorted and suddenly I was greeted with oddest buzzing sound! It literally went from paying music to playing noise."

I had that exact same thing happen with My headphones. Phi and TC have different drivers so there is definately something inherently weird with their driver designs in general. Maybe all that weird stuff is price they had to pay to get things sound right in other places. Because when it works as intended it really is good. That said with all the abyss issues I would be hesitant to drop big bucks for TC but 2000€ used Phi is allmost a bargain as crazy it might sound.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #1,897 of 2,235
1653472721557.png

1653473141841.png

Sony seems to have used something similar before, and in particular their mdr-cd900st, and JVC also something similar in their sz1k/2k behind their subwoofer 55mm driver.

Though Sony calls it micron glass.

Seems like a cool part to experiment with for DIY'ers :D

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #1,898 of 2,235

Sony seems to have used something similar before, and in particular their mdr-cd900st, and JVC also something similar in their sz1k/2k behind their subwoofer 55mm driver.

Though Sony calls it micron glass.

Seems like a cool part to experiment with for DIY'ers :D
Yes looks similar but those are absorbing sponges or cellulose in nature
Mine is like a layered cake of fiberglass
It does more than diffuse but spreads out the signal for back wave and if appropriate front wave as well

Mine is more similar to the meta material in Dan Clark stealth
Or abys porous aluminum or even the back of Zmf headphones they just released

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #1,899 of 2,235
Yes looks similar but those are absorbing sponges or cellulose in nature
Mine is like a layered cake of fiberglass
It does more than diffuse but spreads out the signal for back wave and if appropriate front wave as well

Mine is more similar to the meta material in Dan Clark stealth
Or abys porous aluminum or even the back of Zmf headphones they just released

Interesting. Thanks for your explanation.

Did not know about the porous aluminum, though did read a bit about the DCA new technology.

I know Senny has changed from silk to some porous metal mesh, but not sure if that is same as the abyss,

Anyway, seems like I will have to read up more into these new innovations :D

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #1,901 of 2,235
Interesting. Thanks for your explanation.

Did not know about the porous aluminum, though did read a bit about the DCA new technology.

I know Senny has changed from silk to some porous metal mesh, but not sure if that is same as the abyss,

Anyway, seems like I will have to read up more into these new innovations :D
the pourous aluminum is used on the AB1266™ Phi TC but uses the same extruded RMD fractal principles as my extruded fractal mesh for a lot less $$$
Untietled.png

3B6D39AE-067A-41B1-9713-056207610265.jpeg
270C039C-4AAF-4979-A73A-54DB7E81F948.jpeg

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #1,902 of 2,235
the pourous aluminum is used on the AB1266™ Phi TC but uses the same extruded RMD fractal principles as my extruded fractal mesh for a lot less $$$

That looks a lot more "professional" than the previous pics you've shared. I will admit that is very visually pleasing. A local head-fi friend did order from you, and I guess he's waiting on it, so will be interesting to see his impressions. He really liked the r7dx.

It wasn't for me as the clamp was not strong enough. So, i basically gutted and left as an open back. It was on that massdrop special for 99 bones with the 10% off was like 89 bones, and worth some tinkering.

I'm not professional modder like you, but i have created some funky projects over the years. I did tinker with this one , and was curious enough to try them with wood as well since those cups pop off and regular e-mu cups are basically the same size. I had them mounted temporarily to see the sound differences with also some dampening to my preferences and lessons i've learned over the years.

1.jpg3.jpg

I decided not to go all the way and invest more time into 3d printing adapters for the cups, and more time into tuning since the fit of that horrible headband just would never really work. But the wood really does enhance it's sound. I can only imagine the ridiculousness if someone slapped some Lawton or similar on them XD

But yeah, it's quite funny how the r7dx is quite polarizing, with heavy tilt towards people hating them based on fit alone. But same time, interesting to meet another person who tried to take it to "another level". I also did remove the paper off the back of magnet and experimented with different materials, and some slight front dampening to curb some treble irregularities which seemed to spike a little with beyerdynamic foam as they use that to tame 880/990 spikes etc.

Anyway, not sure if that info is any relevance to you since well again I'm not a pro. LOL

I have one question. Did you experiment with various acoustic filters between the layers of fibreglass, or that would be overdoing it?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #1,903 of 2,235
1654473814809.jpeg

Those are wood cups pretty cool looking you say 3D printed nice

Jun 18, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #1,904 of 2,235
hey, i have seen a lot of aliexpress drivers in here but did anyone test those?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002372497066.html

they are pretty cheap and if they are any good, maybe there are some better drivers than these in similar price?
edit: i found some drivers by tymphany that were recommended a lot but i never found any info about how they sound, maybe you guys have some info about them?
I am interested in those also.

I right now have a cheap model that looks like this:
these have no bass at all

I need a speaker that is littlebit less in the 3k area and alot more in the bass.

Are there any 40mm speakers that extend well down towards 30-40hz or do i need to go bigger?

thanks for nice input guys!

//GF

Jun 18, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #1,905 of 2,235
Can i ask a noob question?

Why are there multiple soldering spots on the speakers?

Is that to add different components like a crossover or something? I cant get it if it has only one coil?

I noticed on many images on aliexpress that there is several places to solder, and one of them has positive (RED) label.

//GF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back