AKG K500 love?
Jul 15, 2011 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

WhiteCrow

Is not fooled by rapper-endorsed products.
Well I'm thinking of selling my K500's, but I have the feeling if I do i know I will regret the decision. I'm looking for something warmer as none of my headphones are warm. I never really seem much love for the 500's only the 501's. I would also like to ask does anyone have a response graph for the K500s?

General discussion about the k500s?

Possible EQ suggestions to make them warm and solve my problems as I butcher the EQ's.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 50
if only i could get one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SANYO-2016-AM-FM-STEREO-RECEIVER-AMPLIFIER-/280709591333?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D160614693381%26ps%3D54

would this be a good one? I know nothing about vintage recievers and that nonsense.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 50
I know little about vintage audio components too. 

What you can do:
1. Google, the better the information the better the gamble can be (Better as in informative!);
2. Check the vintage Sansui thread and the vintage audio components thread on Head-Fi;
3. Audiokarma.
4. If you can audition the component, do it!

A lot of the old gear can be picked up for relatively little unless you stumble on Classic components which can be pricey. Always ask for the technical condition and if everything functions like it should. Never forget to ask if the headphone out is clean. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 50
Jul 15, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 50
Are you still in Oregon? There's a guy up in Astoria who snatches up most of the decent vintage receivers he can find on the coast, I mean he has piles of them just sitting around his house. That would at least let you try them first, always a good idea with vintage receivers, and I'd be surprised if he didn't have a Sansui.

For any old receiver you get though you're going to need to clean it up with Deoxit, which takes about a half hour and $15, otherwise you're probably going to get stuff like distortion and channels cutting out. It's also a good idea to measure the DC to see how far they're drifted out of spec.

Still, it's a PITA process but I have an old Phillips receiver I got for $40 that actually has a getter headphone out than the Yamaha I bought new for $400, go figure.

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 50
There's quite a bit of love for the K500 on head-fi I think you've missed quite a few threads if that's your impression. 

My preference for the K-x01 series from best to worst:

K400 > K500 > K501 > K701

In my experience, they've made them worse every time they tweak them.  Which, (probably by no coincidence) is also the case with the K240.  The K400 is pure magic.  One of the best dynamics ever made.  Not enough bass for me, but that's really their only fault and it isn't a fault for everyone.  The K400 is warmer than the K500 btw, so that may be an answer for you.  There's one on ebay right now for 80 dollars BIN. 

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 50
wow, I was looking into some K400's before I got the K500's but they got snatched, I may have to look into that thanks.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #9 of 50
The K500 is one of the last headphones I want to try. Right now the K400 is pleasure for casual listening (given my preferences)...

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 50

Always wanted to try those, since I'm big on jazz and vocals. Are most solid state amps 'high current'? I have a LD mkV... ss, not tubes. 
Quote:
When under a good amount of current I find the K500 to sound remarkably good pitted against my HD800.  For their asking price online it is sure one hell of a bargin for those looking for a Classical/Jazz/Acoustic headphone.

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 50
I find the AKG K500 fairly forwarding sounding and at times maybe too forward.  A really good solid state amp that pairs extremely that I have experimented was a Dynalo variation -- the Sheer Audio HA-006++.  It gave the AKG K500 a more balance sound and provided the much needed current.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 50
only warm sounding amp i came around was an older 1970's Craig component receiver but i guess cause was never serviced. even though my Sansui 5000x seems to get an odd reputation of being a warm amp, i do not find it warm at all. has sansui known clarity and been serviced couple of times already. try boosting the mid-bass on the eq settings to give the k500 more warmer sound since ''warm'' sound me personally always seemed associated with either mid-bass to upper cloud range or from the expression of tubes clipping into 2nd harmonic distortion

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #15 of 50

Quote:
I find the AKG K500 fairly forwarding sounding and at times maybe too forward.  A really good solid state amp that pairs extremely that I have experimented was a Dynalo variation -- the Sheer Audio HA-006++.  It gave the AKG K500 a more balance sound and provided the much needed current.

Quote:
only warm sounding amp i came around was an older 1970's Craig component receiver but i guess cause was never serviced. even though my Sansui 5000x seems to get an odd reputation of being a warm amp, i do not find it warm at all. has sansui known clarity and been serviced couple of times already. try boosting the mid-bass on the eq settings to give the k500 more warmer sound since ''warm'' sound me personally always seemed associated with either mid-bass to upper cloud range or from the expression of tubes clipping into 2nd harmonic distortion

I also find that the K500 has a slightly exagerrated presence (2-4 kHz), which underlines the need of bass to balance. I think experimenting with the filtered baffle holes (white paper on pic below) could improve things. Duct tape on, say, every second of the 18 openings should give a clear indication of the effect. In theory this should increase bass and tone down the upper midrange, but headphones do not always behave according to the books.

Gonna try it myself when time permits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back