The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Jun 8, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #1,081 of 2,208
AKG K400 driver after a broken Dynahi delivered 50V and a few amperes.

Driver MLA 8 juni 2019.jpg

A fried egg.

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #1,085 of 2,208
That's a Knowles SR series balanced armature

Sharp eyes :ksc75smile:

Knowles SR-32453:
F9467D84-BCA8-489A-B771-36FF9E016483.jpeg

It’s not bad. I’d rate it average. I’m normally not a big fan of mid-centric, plus the tonality is a just a little off from being natural, which is why I rate it as average. The sub bass goes surprisingly deep for a BA, and it also responds well to EQ.

It’s a bit difficult to use the normal Knowles filters due to the 6.8mm round shell, so you have to get a bit creative when tuning. If they had only put an output nozzle on the SR just like all their other BAs, it would have made tuning infinitely easier (because normal tubing and BA dampeners could be used).

It’s still a cool driver to play around with, and a neat idea from Knowles. I’m not sure why Knowles didn’t make a wider range of drop-in dynamic BA replacements. I guess it never really took off, because they only have a couple of SR models...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #1,087 of 2,208
To take a guess, this might be the reason indeed.

Yeah, I put myself in the shoes of a budget IEM manufacturer. If I want to use a BA, I’ll just order a ‘traditional’ BA, which is a much more compact package (not to mention easier to tune with standard tubes and dampers).

But let’s say I got a really good deal on a boatload of empty shells that required a 6mm dynamic driver. Well, a 6mm dynamic driver (of the budget range the SR is in) literally costs a small fraction of the SR drivers. And in my hypothetical ‘good deal on a boatload of dynamic shell’ scenario, if I really wanted to I could manufacture a simple silicone holder with a 6mm round OD that fits a standard rectangular BA. In fact, we already see this type of BA holder on many IEMs (although it’s purpose isn’t to fit in the exact space of a 6mm dynamic driver, but you get the point).

1D101DA6-CB52-4DB6-BE7F-247106D309F6.jpeg

Also, BA drivers are more susceptible to corrosion caused by sweat, as well as being intolerant of physical shocks compared to dynamics.

I wasn’t really blown away when I heard the SR. It honestly sounds like an average dynamic, but with less sub bass. Since I’ve heard dynamics that were much, much better, I guess I the million dollar question I’d ask myself is ‘why choose the 6mm SR over a good 6mm dynamic’?

I’m sure there’s some reason or usage case when the SR would be superior; I just can’t think of it off the top of my head. And my guess is that other IEM manufacturers asked themselves the same question and came up with a similar conclusion as me (hence why we don’t see widespread use of this oddity, nor why Knowles never expanded the product line to include other diameters).

It was still neat to experiment with though, and I’m glad I played around with a pair to check out the tech.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back