The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #1,426 of 2,277
Those Beyer fork will not detach easily, they are attachted to the cup via 2 plastic pieces screwed on the aluminium fork. And the aluminium fork is flat along the plane of the diameter of the cup, so it is very rigid. İ only manage to bend the fork by mistake by sitting on it, but the deflection is small so i can bend it back. İf the deflection from sitting on it is too much, being aluminium, it will crack and break unlike steel.
Construction wise i think this design is robust and the best looking type out there ( even the focal high end copy this design) and is comfy enough.
What material are you using for the headband? Aluminium coat hanger? What diameter is it?

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,427 of 2,277
Those Beyer fork will not detach easily, they are attachted to the cup via 2 plastic pieces screwed on the aluminium fork. And the aluminium fork is flat along the plane of the diameter of the cup, so it is very rigid. İ only manage to bend the fork by mistake by sitting on it, but the deflection is small so i can bend it back. İf the deflection from sitting on it is too much, being aluminium, it will crack and break unlike steel.
Construction wise i think this design is robust and the best looking type out there ( even the focal high end copy this design) and is comfy enough.
What material are you using for the headband? Aluminium coat hanger? What diameter is it?

I think you misunderstood my question, i meant: Can i detach those forks in order to install the headband on wooden cups without breaking anything?

I'm not sure about the material of my current headbands, it's wayyy more rigid and clampy than coat hangers, the diameter is about 3x than those. I guess those things vary from country to country due to different manufactures, but they were the handles of big paint buckets.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,428 of 2,277
I think you misunderstood my question, i meant: Can i detach those forks in order to install the headband on wooden cups without breaking anything?

Yes, I used the exact same superlux headphones to repair some broken soundMAGIC headphones. I mounted the soundMAGIC cups onto the superlux yokes.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,429 of 2,277

I'm not sure about the material of my current headbands, it's wayyy more rigid and clampy than coat hangers, the diameter is about 3x than those. I guess those things vary from country to country due to different manufactures, but they were the handles of big paint buckets.
Yes you can remove easily,just unscrew the 2 plastic bits at the end of the fork. The plastic bits connect the fork to the cup. You may need to drill into the cup 6mm holes ( from my memory) to hold these plastic bits. These let the cup swivel too

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,430 of 2,277
I'm not going to pull these headphones apart, but here's a ZMF Eikon (left) and a ZMF Vérité Closed (right) without pads. The Eikon has a biocellulose driver and the VC has a beryllium-plated PEN driver. Only one side of each is shown here, but the holes drilled into the Eikon baffles are slightly different between left and right, which may indicate the holes are part of a manual tuning process.

2020-07-24 00.54.24 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,431 of 2,277
Yea, i don't have a drill...

I'm actually scanning hardware stores already, especially the plumbing sections.

Seller: I see youre looking at those pipe parts...searching for anything in particular?

Me: Well, i'm building these headphones and...

:joy:
I had a similar experience when I tried to find paint/varnish of sorts to finish a restoration of my denon d7100/d600 hybrid. "Headphones you say?"

I had to buy 0,5 litres of that stuff. I only needed a drop. And the look on their face when I pulled out one headphone cup out of my pocket and said these used to sell for $1300... So I kind of need the coating to be perfect, it's not like I'm working with furnitures or something.😁

Many of my mods end in failure, so I kind of regret selling this one. This was something I wanted to go right. Another one is sony mdr-sa5000. Making it fully closed and replacing those "paper" parts with leather. I have done the leather work, just need a driver, detachable cable and damping work.

IMG_20200216_185252.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,433 of 2,277
I wish I could have found a way to get at the magnet but the plastic covering it seems to be glued down. I still think what I could get pictures of interesting though. Everything seems virtually identical to the pics I seen in here of the Sennheiser Momentums.

Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT
IMG_20200814_173643.jpg IMG_20200814_173804.jpgIMG_20200814_174514.jpg
IMG_20200814_174607.jpgIMG_20200814_174814.jpgIMG_20200814_175816.jpg

I really wish I could get at the magnet without damaging these because I really want to know how similar it is to those momentums. It looks like they are using the same capsule in multiple headphones and I wounder is those momentums sound the same. I don't remember if I seen that weird plastic tab with the hole for venting on the momentum. I'm going to have to play around with covering that to see if it tames the bass or what impact it has on the sound.

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #1,434 of 2,277
I found an old picture of my dead wooden HE-560 and decided to take a couple of the Sundara. I wasn't brave enough to pull the screen off though I see they included some free hair and dirt on the driver for me. It's driving me mad knowing it's there now but I know first hand how easy it is to puncture a driver. lol

Hifiman HE-560 (Wood Cup 2.5mm version)
IMG_20200615_192159.jpg

Hifiman Sundara
IMG_20200815_035125.jpgIMG_20200815_035104.jpgIMG_20200815_034851.jpg
IMG_20200815_034515.jpgIMG_20200815_034921.jpg
For Hifiman it's a pretty interesting layout. They seem to mix some thin and thick traces which I haven't seen them do before. I haven't seen them use the black magnets before either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back