The Hassle-Free Headphone Recommendation Thread: Cans that sound great without amping, modding, or burn-in.
May 6, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #121 of 136
Great choice are Beyerdynamic DT-770, either the 32 Ohms Version or the 16 Ohms Version (called DT-770i). Both work really well on iPhones directly, or hooked up to tiny Bluetooth receivers like the Bluewave Get or the FiiO BTR-1.

And don’t forget Apple AirPods — super convenient and sound pretty great.

May 6, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #122 of 136
This is as subjective a thread as I've ever seen. I will say this: Stax headphones require no burn-in, how they sound out of the box is how they will always sound (assuming nothing in the audio chain changes).

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #125 of 136
Quote:
Fine, then, Sennheiser HD800. Unamped it will still sound pretty good, and it certainly doesn't need mods.
I'm pretty sure the title of the thread is headphones that sound great without amping, not about not posting headphones that sound good without amping but get better with amping. Who cares? This is about headphones that sound good when purchased.

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #127 of 136
I'm pretty sure the title of the thread is headphones that sound great without amping, not about not posting headphones that sound good without amping but get better with amping. Who cares? This is about headphones that sound good when purchased.

I tried the B&O/Beoplay H6 2nd Generation which is really strongly recommended by many as a great-sounding portable headphone (built to not need an amp). I didn't like the sound, thought the bass was way too boosted and it muddied up about 3/4 of the songs, with the other 1/4 sounding nice but somehow... off. $300 new on amazon. Returned them.

Then I bought the Sennheiser HD600, currently $286 on amazon. I thought they would sound like garbage until I got an amp, but I couldn't wait and listened to them unamped through my HTC 10 (phone) and laptop (HP Spectre x360). Unamped, they sounded better than the H6 to my ears. They got plenty loud enough, was listening at ~60% volume on my phone and ~30% on the laptop. Devices are coming with better and better onboard sound these days.

So if the H6 is something that would be recommended here, why should we not include something like the HD600 if it can give a better sound unamped (for those that like neutral headphones), and for less money? Just because it can sound even better? I think that's just a bonus if a headphone can still sound great for its price without an amp, but if you ever want to take it to the next level, you can get even more out of them. Upgradable headphones. Awesome.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #128 of 136
Almost any headphone get better with amping, even Apple's.

Here's my list:

IEM under 100: Hifiman RE400
IEM under 500: Shure SE 535
Closed Back: Nad Viso HP50
Open Back under 200: Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee. True, it improves with amping, as said, but is is good enough without it, better than anything about its price.
Open back under 500: Hifiman HE400S. Very sensitive, you get almost from it directly from your phone.
Open back under 1000: Hifiman Edition X V2 or Hifiman Ananda

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #129 of 136
I tried the B&O/Beoplay H6 2nd Generation which is really strongly recommended by many as a great-sounding portable headphone (built to not need an amp). I didn't like the sound, thought the bass was way too boosted and it muddied up about 3/4 of the songs, with the other 1/4 sounding nice but somehow... off. $300 new on amazon. Returned them.

Then I bought the Sennheiser HD600, currently $286 on amazon. I thought they would sound like garbage until I got an amp, but I couldn't wait and listened to them unamped through my HTC 10 (phone) and laptop (HP Spectre x360). Unamped, they sounded better than the H6 to my ears. They got plenty loud enough, was listening at ~60% volume on my phone and ~30% on the laptop. Devices are coming with better and better onboard sound these days.

So if the H6 is something that would be recommended here, why should we not include something like the HD600 if it can give a better sound unamped (for those that like neutral headphones), and for less money? Just because it can sound even better? I think that's just a bonus if a headphone can still sound great for its price without an amp, but if you ever want to take it to the next level, you can get even more out of them. Upgradable headphones. Awesome.
It gets recommended here very often but for different purposes. The HD600 is actually probably one of the most recommended headphones on this site but it doesn’t really work as a portable option.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #130 of 136
It gets recommended here very often but for different purposes. The HD600 is actually probably one of the most recommended headphones on this site but it doesn’t really work as a portable option.

Oh of course, I meant "here" specifically as in this thread! And the thread title isn't asking for portables, it's asking for headphones that sound good without an amp! And I'm saying, if you have a decent phone or laptop, the HD600 can sound better unamped than more expensive, dedicated portables like the H6. Anyway, just putting that out there, since I'm super glad I got the 600's even though I don't have an amp yet (waiting for a bottlehead sale), and more new users might want to know that they don't have to avoid it if they have a decent phone/laptop and if their listening permits open cans.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #131 of 136
Oh of course, I meant "here" specifically as in this thread! And the thread title isn't asking for portables, it's asking for headphones that sound good without an amp! And I'm saying, if you have a decent phone or laptop, the HD600 can sound better unamped than more expensive, dedicated portables like the H6. Anyway, just putting that out there, since I'm super glad I got the 600's even though I don't have an amp yet (waiting for a bottlehead sale), and more new users might want to know that they don't have to avoid it if they have a decent phone/laptop and if their listening permits open cans.
Ah, I see now. I don’t often hear about the HD600 being recommended without an amp but at the end of the day if you like the sound directly from the source then that’s all that matters. Some say an amp makes a huge difference while others say they make hardly a difference at all.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #132 of 136
I think they meant that the ZX1 is more comfortable but they sound the same or similar? They do appear to be using the same 57mm drivers. Surely they have not sourced two different 57mm drivers.

As for resembling another headphone.... I chose the ZX1 because of its unique look.

BTW, the cable is not detachable if that is important to you. Also they like some power. I have only used them at my desk so far with my desktop setup....Fubar HD dac/amp. @HungryPanda used his Fostex dac/amp when he tried them.

I have never heard the HD800 but if the ZX1 is the same or similar in sound to the M2 then that ailexpress reviewer would have to say the same about it. Funny thing is, when I first listened to my ZX1, I was so impressed with the detail, imaging and soundstage I was hearing that I had a weird thought... wondering if this is what an HD 800 might sound like. I had not yet read those comments. Haha... that would be awesome if people are paying hundreds for for a comparible sound :):):) ChiFi for the win!

Anyone used on OKCSC ZX1 headphones? Does it sound good without an amp? Especially on bass & treble.

And the cable is really undetachable? How about if I want to attach a V Moda mic?

Jun 17, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #134 of 136
The cable isn't detachable so no you can't use a V Moda cable.

Thanks for the confirmation. I think the only way to try the on V Moda is finding an adapter to tthe TRRS Jack.

jale meaning in english

Maybe.. The alternative is the
OKCSC M2 but it is a Semi Open-Back, unlike the ZX1 a Fully Open-Back, anybody knows how they might compare on each other or have both of them to try the difference?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back