The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #692 of 869
I bought these headphones awhile back from a head-fi member and used them everyday. But then I became distracted and started using closed headphones for some stupid reason of thinking people were going to hear my music in disapproval. Just last night I put down my clip on koss phones and ignored the closed world of the beyer pro's and slipped on the grado 60s. There simply is no other sound in my small collection that compares to these. I haven't put them on in a long while but now i cannot take them off.
Grado sr 60's are a gateway to better headphones but are damn good to keep just in case you get bored of the hype and noise of the flavor of the month. Get some and let your friends hear them.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #693 of 869
It seems the SR-60's have had a following almost from their introduction to the market. I have had mine since 1994 and they have been great. I recently broke one of the yolks and Grado sent me a new pair free! Not bad customer service for a pair of 12 year old cans!

I have owned headphones from Stax, Senn., Beyer., and several others but have only kept the SR-60's long term. They are not the best built or best sounding that I have or have had, but they are, hands down, the most consistant, rewarding and convenient for the money of anything that I have owned to date.

I did my first mod after 12 years of owership this weekend. I changed out the stock cable with 4' of Mogami mic cable terminated to a Switchcraft 3.5mm plug. This has definatelly improved the sound stage and opened up the mids.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #695 of 869
Frankie - I think you should try the 595s as well - you'll love both in different ways. Just got my SR-60s a few weeks ago and very much have enjoyed the experience. I have been running them directly out of my Macbook as well as through my total bithead. My initial impressions were that I really love the Grado sound - started looking at future Grado upgrades. Have since gone back to my 595s just to compare and seem to have fallen for them again. I have decided both are really enjoyable and plan on getting heavy use out of both - kind of a mood thing.

I ordered and have been using the L-cush bowls for the Grados but am not getting used to the comfort - they hurt a bit after a short while. I ordered the Senn HD 414 pads last night so I will try those - love the sound, just having trouble with the comfort. On top of it - the 595s are so comfortable it seems to exaggerate the discomfort I am feeling. Oh well - both are amazing I think.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #696 of 869
Thanks Lescanard. My Sr60s are fairly old (10 years at least) and the pads are flat and sit directly on the ear. I know they're designed like this, but it seems from images that the newer models have a raised perimeter so-to-speak that looks more comfortable. Is this the case? If so I might look for replacement pads anyway.

EDIT: I've had a look around and discovered "salad bowl" pads for the SR80, will they fit? The other option seems to be HD414 pads from Sennheiser, are they worth a look?

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #697 of 869
That is what I am going through - the sr80 bowls I ordered, received and have been trying - they seem very harsh on my ears for some reason. They sound great - they just hurt a bit. I ordered the HD414 pads and plan on modifying them like many suggest on this forum. I am hoping this alleviates the discomfort some cause they sound so good.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #699 of 869
Wow am I happy with the Senn pads...Grados still sound great but the comfort is 100% better - so glad I listened to head-fi people and got these things. I did the reverse mod and they are like nice fluffy pillows on my ears - a huge improvement.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #700 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys! Whats the best portable amp for SR 60? Please share...

You might try this. I can't recommend it because I've never heard it, but I just got through reading about a Head-Fi'er that likes it with his SR325i's. It's based on the Grado Ra-1 (which is basically a CMOY).

Here's a LINK.

Once this link expires, search eBay for seller awwan.

For the price, anyone can afford to try it. I was thinking about getting one myself but I'm about to build a CMOY and I really don't do the portable thing a whole lot anyway.

BTW, on this thread's subject: For acoustic or vocal tracks that do not burden your phones with heavy bass, the SR60 is a phenominal performer. I continue to be amazed that such rich sound can come from a product that is so affordable. No matter how much gear I accumulate or how much "better" headphone technology gets, I don't expect I'll ever stop listening to my SR60's.

Edit: Yes John, you have my permission to quote me in any Grado advertising.
icon10.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #701 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys! Whats the best portable amp for SR 60? Please share...

I loved my SR-60 for the ease of use (minus that damn Grado cable), I would say you should save the money you are saving for a portable amplifier on more music.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #702 of 869
I got a pair of SR-60 in need of some cable repairs some month ago. Once the re-cabling was done, I simply stored them away since I never quite dig the Grado sound.

Took it out of the box yesterday and, connected to the Audiotrak Prodigy -> Corda Move, it got me hooked listening throughout the Australia Day long weekend. Damn... this thing is fun! I was not as happy with the MS-2 (too heavy and distracting) and SR-80 (too bright) I used to own.

Still does not compete with my favourite K340 but nonetheless they are AUD$50 well spent!

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #703 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might try this. I can't recommend it because I've never heard it, but I just got through reading about a Head-Fi'er that likes it with his SR325i's. It's based on the Grado Ra-1 (which is basically a CMOY).

Edit: Yes John, you have my permission to quote me in any Grado advertising.
icon10.gif

I can confirm that this amp is a well-built cmoy. Using it with MS2i, it gave a sound profile a little less than halfway up between a Cowon D2 HP out and my Little Dot 1+.

It certainly can't replace a desktop amp - even a cheap one - but it will give you a certain bump. It's just a little over pocket size, so you can think of it as transportable, but not portable. I sold it.

However, Mr. Grado might be more litigious than flattered...

re: cloned amps

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #704 of 869
i have sr60s and are using them with a PA2V2 which i've been liking a bit more than my fiio e5. is it worth picking up the RA-1 clone? do you think i'd notice a difference from what i've got now, and would it work well when i spring for the RS-1 or something down the line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back