The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #707 of 869
I have a silly question. When wearing the SR60's (and most other Grados), the drivers are pressed up against the ears. Shouldn't this significantly color/degrade the sound? I don't get that.

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #708 of 869
I <3 the 60s. I got a pair recently, and after owning the 225s, MS-2, the 60s still hold their own
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #710 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh, don't get your hopes up too much. personally, i like the comfies better than bowls, reversed or otherwise, on the 60's. the best pads for them, imo, are coin modded senn 414 pads.

Hey just saw your thread on the Grado 60s, can you run that by me again please in more detail, thanks in advance. Craig.

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #712 of 869
w/ the last yr model SR125 on sale for around $100total, is it worth the extra $20 over the SR60(or SR60i) ?

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #713 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwongrade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
w/ the last yr model SR125 on sale for around $100total, is it worth the extra $20 over the SR60(or SR60i) ?

I A/B'd my SR60's with a pair of SR225's and I decided that I'd likely not upgrade to any Prestige Series Grado. The difference was that small to me. Some say that the difference is huge but I didn't hear it.
If I ever do go higher up the Grado food chain, it'll be to a Reference or Signature series model most likely.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #715 of 869
Hi y'all...
I just picked up my SR60i's here in the UK - was gonna order some MS1's but after hearing a few import tax horror stories I thought bugger it, I'll pop down to my local hi-fi store and pick up a pair for £68.

Anyway, so far I've had them on for a few hours, running through my Samsung P3 / Cmoy and although they certainly aren't bad, I am feeling a tad underwhelmed... Compared to my Phonak PFEs they seem to lack detail and yet don't seem to really grab me, sound wise. Yeah the mids are pretty good, vocals sound nice but the highs just feel so so, a little harsh, and the bass seems to lack a bit of definition.

Compared to my old KSC75s (as best my memory serves me) I think the overall tone is a bit more musical, but I liked the way the Koss' sparkled in the highs and the bass was very tight, it was just the mids that were a bit 'blah' - The SR60i's are almost like the reverse of this...

I'm trying to figure out if I should quarter mod them - I attached my old KSC75s quarter modded pads (yes they do stretch believe it or not!) but I thought the sound to be a tad full on - maybe some better bass and detail though... hmmm...

Anyway just my thoughts for now, after some burn in I may alter my position...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #716 of 869
I recently bought a pair of these and i love them. They were too harsh when i first listened to them but after around 40+ hours of burn in they sound much better. The bass has definitely improved and the highs are not so piercing anymore. Plus they sound awesome with Nine Inch Nails
wink_face.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #717 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spark2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought a pair of these and i love them. They were too harsh when i first listened to them but after around 40+ hours of burn in they sound much better. The bass has definitely improved and the highs are not so piercing anymore. Plus they sound awesome with Nine Inch Nails
wink_face.gif

Okay, after owning them for a good 5 hours
tongue_smile.gif
I cracked and quarter / dime modded the pads... listening to Weezer's 'Make Believe' - I'm starting to like these more and more. I kept the hole in the pads to the size of a british 10p piece, which I think its the same size as a quarter, so the drivers are still partially covered - the bass seems tighter but the highs haven't increased significantly... mids are quite forward, but thats ok.

Yeah, they don't quite have the detail or finesse of the Phonaks, but they were £50 cheaper...

Will report back after 20+ hours burn in

EDIT - Look, I'm being good and not bumping!
After about 50 hours burn in I realise I like these better with my FiiO than my Cmoy. SR60 + Cmoy = Brightness ahoy. E3 rolls off the highs, but has crappy soundstage.
Also since I've opened up the hole in the pads (coin mod) so pretty much all of the driver is exposed. Then I put my previous quarter modded KSC75 pads underneath to raise the pads off the driver a bit further (basically making these a poor mans SR80)

The verdict: Still not blown away. Bass lacks definition, mids are good, highs are pretty good as long as you have it with the right source, can be overbearing with the wrong source. Detail isn't amazing, but good (lack of good amp detracts detail I suppose) - Meh. More musical and fun than my old KSC75s, but not as balanced or forgiving or versatile and much much more expensive. Maybe the Grado sound just ain't my cup o'tea?

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #719 of 869
Im currently waiting for HF-2,which will be shipped to me on september, I guess.
So, over the weekend, I was thinking about getting sr-225i until then, since ppl say it is the best bang for bucks.
Now looking at this threat, I wonder which cans I should get. Once I get HF-2, I probably won't touch either sr-60 or sr-225. is it likely what is going to be happened?
I also fear if I get sr-60, I would acknowldge its limit every time I listen to it. (less detail, less than sr-225)
Throw me some advice on which grado entry I should get.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #720 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Throw me some advice on which grado entry I should get.

The SR60. Reason being you can sell it once you get the HF-2 and I think the SR60 would be easier to sell on the FS forums if you don't mind doing that. I think there'd be a lot more people that are a)Starting out getting their first can b)People that want to get an introduction to the Grado sound and c)People that want a 2nd or 3rd can alternative to their main ones for those times that you need a Grado sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back