The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #631 of 869
Hey everyone, my first post on the forum. I have read the forum for about a year now, reading interesting stuff on IEM's and headphones mainly.

After reading so much about Grado headphones over here, I decided I had to get one. I live in Holland, so they are quite hard to get by here. One day I saw a fellow student walking by with a Grado SR-60 on his ears. It appeared some small shop in the center of Delft sells them! The next day I went there, took my iPod with me, and asked if I could listen to a SR-60 for a moment. Since I had only read about them, and not actually heard them, I was still to be convinced. First, I played some of the Bourne Identity OST by John Powell. Quite impressive.. But when I put on Eric Clapton's unplugged album... WOW. That's what all the fuss is about :p

So, thanks to Head-Fi, I am now a proud owner of a Grado SR-60 and able to post in this thread. Nice to read that some people don't think 99 euro's is "way too much money" for a headphone. Thank you guys!
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #632 of 869
Just got a pair a week ago from the forums here...they are recabled with canare wire and neutrik plug.

I have to say, they are indeed fantastic sounding for rock and jazz...ive been going back and forth if i should move up the ladder again.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #633 of 869
well, now i have 3 different pads to choose from =)

I have Ratshack comfies, stock SR60 comfies and HD414 that have been quarter modded.

I cant tell which i like the most. Im leaning towards the ratshack pads.

Which do you guys like the best and why?

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #635 of 869
they had them in the store when i went....few different sizes also.

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #637 of 869
Ive been going between the 3 pads i have.

I have to say, out of all of them. i like the stock comfies the best.

The ratshack comfies are nice, smaller...however it gives a muddiness to the sound since its so much closer to your ear. It does give more bass impact though.

The quarter modded HD414 are great...sometimes alittle high though. Also, it seems that it brings the highs forward and keeps the background alittle distant. I like it for some types of music.

The stock Comfies sound the best overall to my ears. They are thicker then the ratshack ones, which places the speaker a tad farther away from the ear. However, since its farther away, the bass isnt as powerful...not as much impact. However its much more clear sounding now.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #638 of 869
I have my SR60 for a year now. I am still impressed how fun this headphones are. I'm driving them directly from my Marantz CD5001 and loving every second.

My opinion is that they sound nice with every kind of music. They have their own way of presenting the emotion of the musician, not just reproducing the notes. And that is quite amazing considering the price.

That's my 2 cents...

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #639 of 869
I've had a pair of SR60's for about a year now and I still love them. I look towards upgrading soon in the grado world but for now these work fine. My only complaint would be how easy the cord can get twisted. I did not buy my pair new so they were already "pre" twisted.. other than that, I love them. I guess if I were to get a higher end pair of grados, I would pay to get them re-cabled.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #640 of 869
I purchased 3 pairs of the SR-60's, one as a gift and the other two spanned for about 11 years. Always loved them and recently upgraded to the SR-225.

I also prefer their styling. Anything too futuristic looking are usually overdone making the wearer look like a total ****** bag.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #641 of 869
I have my SR-60's for about three months now, they were a big improvement on my other headphones (Sennheiser 457 and Stanton DJPro 2000).

I still like them very much, although I don't listen to them THAT much, because I don't use them on the train. I don't like the idea of other people hearing my music that loud.

So, for 'on-the-go' they haven't had much use yet, but at home I love them!

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #642 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my SR-60's for about three months now, they were a big improvement on my other headphones (Sennheiser 457 and Stanton DJPro 2000).

I thought I was the only one with 457's. They were my first real pair of headphones, but they died on me recently, so I ordered a pair of SR-60's (from all the buzz on here) and just got them today. They are a sure improvement, but I still miss that old Sennheiser bass. What are your thoughts on the 457's, a good Sennheiser model? Compared to these Grado's?

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #643 of 869
Any chance of turning this into a combo SR60/SR80 appreciation thread? They're almost the same pair of headphones.
wink.gif

Love my 80s.
biggrin.gif
They slightly round out poorly-recorded/encoded music and still stay hella-punchy. Plus they love guitars and kit drums.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #644 of 869
I haven't read all 65 pages of this thread, but I'd thought I'd chime in with a thumbs-up for the Grado SR-60's. The SR-60's hands down get my vote for the best bang for the buck deal in headphones. If you're new to headphones and looking for your first pair of cans, the SR-60s should be on your very short list.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #645 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by obstacle3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I was the only one with 457's. They were my first real pair of headphones, but they died on me recently, so I ordered a pair of SR-60's (from all the buzz on here) and just got them today. They are a sure improvement, but I still miss that old Sennheiser bass. What are your thoughts on the 457's, a good Sennheiser model? Compared to these Grado's?

I've had them for christmas a few years back. Never used them that much actually. I tried them on a few weeks back after a long period of collecting dust, and I heard cracking noises everytime I touched the cables. Too bad..

I don't miss their bass at all! I used to be a basshead (that's why I bought the EX-71's), but since I've heard the nice, subtle Grado bass, I've learned to love it.

But, on the other side, I tried the SR-60's as portable phones this afternoon again, but due to the background noise and the sound leakage they weren't very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back