The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #616 of 869
I love the SR90.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #617 of 869
I picked up some SR60s because I keep killing KSC75s.
confused.gif
Will quarter modding the comfies give me more treble detail like it does for the KSC? The place I bought them didn't have any bowls or I would have picked up a pair. They did have an SR40 to sample though.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #622 of 869
OK. Decided I GOTTA have one NOW. Can anyone tell me IF and WHERE I can pick one up lcally here in Calgary, ALBERTA CANADA...

Thanks in advance, and thank you for all your opinions so far.

Dick

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #623 of 869
I see NO One resonded to my post... so I did a little deeper search on this board and somebody had mentioned K&W and Loyalty Audio in Calgary. So I called them both and Loyalty ($125 including GST) showed a lot of willingness to deal. K&W ($149.00+GST) said NO WAY.

At the end, Alberta at Loyalty gave it to me for $20 more than the US price, i.e. $90 +5% GST; My friend also bought the GS80, and that too was $20 more than the US price i.e. $95+20=$115 +GST.

I told him I will advertise the price on the NET and he said no problem.

BTW, I had my iPod with me and we tried both the GS60 & GS80. Personally, I couldn't see any difference. Even without an amp, the 80 was as loud as the 60. The foam on the 80 was also harder and shaped like a cone.

The only other thing I noticed is the cord is too heavy (GS80 is even thicker than the 60...) so this is not going to be to easy to walk around too much, but for me it's usually when I am on the plane or sitting somewhere when I use my iPod. In my car, it is hooked in to my stereo through a harness and it stays there most of the time.

Ciao.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #624 of 869
Been in love with my SR-60s since day one, about five years ago (maybe six?). I'm about to upgrade to livewires for portable use/bedside manner (you know how the gfs get :-D ).

My SR-60s forged a relationship between my music and I that makes me truly happy. Thanks Grado :-D

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #625 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by DHT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see NO One resonded to my post... so I did a little deeper search on this board and somebody had mentioned K&W and Loyalty Audio in Calgary. So I called them both and Loyalty ($125 including GST) showed a lot of willingness to deal. K&W ($149.00+GST) said NO WAY.

At the end, Alberta at Loyalty gave it to me for $20 more than the US price, i.e. $90 +5% GST; My friend also bought the GS80, and that too was $20 more than the US price i.e. $95+20=$115 +GST.

I told him I will advertise the price on the NET and he said no problem.

BTW, I had my iPod with me and we tried both the GS60 & GS80. Personally, I couldn't see any difference. Even without an amp, the 80 was as loud as the 60. The foam on the 80 was also harder and shaped like a cone.

The only other thing I noticed is the cord is too heavy (GS80 is even thicker than the 60...) so this is not going to be to easy to walk around too much, but for me it's usually when I am on the plane or sitting somewhere when I use my iPod. In my car, it is hooked in to my stereo through a harness and it stays there most of the time.

Ciao.

I bought my SR80s from Bay Bloor Radio here in Toronto, and the prices were maybe only $5-10 more than what you and your buddy paid for each respective model, so you got a little bit of a deal there.
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, the differences between the two are very subtle, but I preferred the slightly bigger (bigger is better?) bass and the bowl pads that came with the 80s.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #626 of 869
Prompted by a reminder about the so-called 'basshead' mod on another thread, I finally got round to taping up my bowls w/ electrical insulating tape - blimey! Does it deliver
smily_headphones1.gif
Low notes & bass impact are so much more present -I guess this is how SR80 may sound, but I'm very happy (happier!) with my 60s, esp. after this simple mod...

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #627 of 869
Hey Stevibee, come again? How/where do you put this insulating tape mod?

I saw someone also had added jacks to the earpieces... to remove/replace the cord. any ideas how?

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #628 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
might as well post these here too!

I love my 60s

Filipelli, I would like to mod my pair. Would you be kind enough to describe what and how you mod your pair? Thanks.

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #629 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by DHT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Stevibee, come again? How/where do you put this insulating tape mod?

I saw someone also had added jacks to the earpieces... to remove/replace the cord. any ideas how?

No idea on the jacks, sorry...but for the basshead mod, lookee here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...ad-mod-148598/

Note you will need to use Grado Bowls as they have the rim thickness for the mod.

I used black insulating tape, half inch wide. It sure does increase the bass whoomph, but maybe cuts air a little as Kramer said in the above thread. Overall tho, I was startled how successful this easy mod was! If you have Bowls it's worth a shot as it's reversible in just seconds if you don't find it to your taste...

Edit\ Wow, filipelli, your 60's look sweet!
I may have to send mine to you for a refit!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back