The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #316 of 869
I just rigged my equipment (Chaintech AV-710 soundcard, Rega Ear amp, Sennheiser HD580) but I'm thinking of buying headphones specifically for rock and heavy metal music since the Senns don't seem to rock as much as I'd like to - but I've only recently begun the burning process....

After reading this thread I'm jonesing to buy the SR-60's.
orphsmile.gif
I just have a few questions. First of all, are there even alternatives for the SR-60's when looking for a good headphone for rock and heavier music? As some have complained about the highs I'm a bit torn about purchasing them, since too bright a cans would be the last thing I want. And how much would my Rega Ear amplifier help, if at all? Then there's the problem of buying the Grados outside the U.S.. It's not easy trying to enjoy music!
rolleyes.gif
I'd definitely want to try these fun cans out some day - and the sooner the better.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Forgot to ask about the Alessandro MS-1s. Could they be another option?

Apr 2, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #317 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omnivore
Forgot to ask about the Alessandro MS-1s. Could they be another option?

Yes-they are your best bet for Grado sound outside the 'States. They don't need a dedicated amp to drive them, but of course an amp would usually clean things up. If the cans are too bright, simply change the pads. HD414 pads in mod form are for resolution and reference, unmodded are for comfort and smoothness exceeding(IMHO) that of stock comfies, without much recession of the upper part of the frequency band. It wasn't until recently that I got into them but I'm glad I did-unmodded 414 pads sound great!
Late,
Abe

Apr 2, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #318 of 869
i ordered my sr60's on friday they should come on tuseday i cant wait should be great
these will be my frist pair of hi-fi headphones i have apple in ear and just sold my sony mdr-v300 they were $50 there nice but i'm ready for some high quality phones
icon10.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #320 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadwing
I picked these up a few weeks ago I fell in love with them..they definitely rock the house
I'm not even using my Klipsch pro-media speakers much
280smile.gif

Yeah, that'll kind of happen to ya. One you've had nice headphones like the SR60's, speakers just won't deliver that blissful feeling as much anymore. It happpened to me, so I ditched the crappy Bose stuff for cheaper and inevitably better stuff, even though my HT system is low budget.
Late,
Abe

PS-Welcome to HeadFi, sorry about your wallet... It'll seek revenge on you one day, one day soon! HA HA HA
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #321 of 869
I ordered those Sennpads almost 2 weeks ago and have no idea where they are
frown.gif
.And the great Sennheiser email support has not even responded back.Do they usually take this long?

Apr 9, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #322 of 869
Be patient, is all I can say. Someone at Sennheiser should respond to your email, and your package should be delivered. My order took about two weeks. If it was through TTVJ though, it would take 2-4 days with the cheapest shipping. How Todd gets that stuff out so freaking fast is beyond me...
cool.gif
Abe

Apr 9, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #324 of 869
Thinking back the SR-60s were my very, first headphone. This had to be pver 10 years ago. I still have them. I had to replace the plug(Switchcraft now). The headband was mad out of "better" vinyl and the cable is heavier than current 60s. They sound great! I have owned/sold most of the other high enders. But still hang on to this. Listening to them right now with my iPod and JMT mint. Maybe they're really mismarked SR-200?
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #325 of 869
How do you replace the plug, and is it a right angled mini? My SR60's have a semi intermittent connection near the flex sleeve following the connector neck. I could really use any help on that one. PM me if you have time, I'd sure appreciate it.

...But until then, I'll enjoy my new heretic headphones to this Grado lovin' thread- my new ER6i's
etysmile.gif
! Not to insult Grado fans or SR60 fans in particular, but these are oh, so sweet!

Late,
Abe

Apr 9, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #326 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
I ordered those Sennpads almost 2 weeks ago and have no idea where they are
frown.gif
.And the great Sennheiser email support has not even responded back.Do they usually take this long?

i think mine took 10 business days... they mailed me a reciept on the 9th day and on the 10th day the actual package arrived. wierd thing is that the pads are a bit mis-matched. the center sections (where the sound comes through) varies a little in thickness. (doing the hole mod would rectify this, but i dont like the hole mod) anyway, it doesnt affect sound, but i can feel a little difference (only if i pay attention, its not that big a difference). still a very worthwile mod - i like the stock comfies, but these are way softer.

May 3, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #327 of 869
I have just bought a pair of sr-60's and I can not wait to recieve them as they are my first "serious" pair of headphones that I have purchased. Hopefully in another week I will be able to actually post something worth posting regarding these headphones. Like another poster earlier in this thread though I too am enamored with the Graddo name. What is it? Its almost like something you have to have. hmmmm intresting

May 4, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #328 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsjr
I have just bought a pair of sr-60's and I can not wait to recieve them as they are my first "serious" pair of headphones that I have purchased. Hopefully in another week I will be able to actually post something worth posting regarding these headphones. Like another poster earlier in this thread though I too am enamored with the Graddo name. What is it? Its almost like something you have to have. hmmmm intresting

bugsjr,

Oh boy. Are you in trouble. The sr-60's were my first pair of 'serious' headphones as well. Problem is, once you get a taste of what can be done....it's all downhill from there, at least as far as your wallet is concerned
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have gone through a number of phones & amps over the last few years, but I still have my 60's. Definitely a classic.

Hmmm....maybe I should see how they sound on my mpx3....
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #329 of 869
Funny, I owned a pair of SR60s after using Denon AH-D550s and Radio-Shack branded Koss (Portapro-class) stuff for years, and got no revelation... in fact, I was disappointed. They sounded no better to me than the AH-D550s, except they were less detailed and at certain times, harsh sounding. Smaller soundstage, too. Felt like I'd wasted my money, but kept them around for a year or so anyway before selling them off.

I consider Senn HD580 to be my first true "high end headphone" experience. Now that was truly a revelation of earth-shattering magnitude to these ears. Suddenly I knew what high-end headphone sound was about, and I was hooked.

Not to knock the SR-60 love BTW, although I don't understand it I can certainly respect it. Now back to your regularly schedules programming...

May 11, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #330 of 869
I'm itching to buy a pair of these cans, the highest end i've reached as far as headphones go are the Sennheiser 212 Pros, not bad cans, but seriously too bassy for the type of music i listen to... I've ALWAYS been curious about the grado's as their minimalistic looks and name are just so attractive to me... I just built a cmoy amp and it's pretty sweet, and i need some sweet cans to compliment it (although i know it's fairly low end)... Anyone want to sell me a pair cheap? I know SOME of you have a spare pair lying around ;P

PLEASE?!?!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back