The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #301 of 869
just got mine today..it's hard to describe how i feel. i've never had a quality pair of headphones..and now that i finally do, i'm in love. i've rediscovered my entire music collection. now if only i could get a turntable setup going to listen to all my vinyl..i'd be a even happier dude. THANKS HEAD-FI!

next stop: Alessandro's?

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #303 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by jabberbox
just got mine today..it's hard to describe how i feel. i've never had a quality pair of headphones..and now that i finally do, i'm in love. i've rediscovered my entire music collection. now if only i could get a turntable setup going to listen to all my vinyl..i'd be a even happier dude. THANKS HEAD-FI!

I owe my SR-60 joy to HeadFi as well...especially rsaavedra (Raul) of HeadFi. He handed me his SR-60s the first day he visited me (HeadFi meet) and I couldnt let those headphones go until the day he left...and I felt REALLY sad to see them go..

Unfortunately I left that very day to India for 2 months and I wanted someone to ship them to me there but that didnt happen. I placed an order before coming back and I received shipment some 4 hours after I reached home from the airport.

They have been with me since then
smily_headphones1.gif
I actually bought three of them
very_evil_smiley.gif
Let me see if I can dig up pictures of my setup in 2003
wink.gif

Quote:

next stop: Alessandro's?

You may try a lot of other stuff but if you hang on to these...they will reward you every step of the way.

The $60.00 I have put into these headphones has been the best investment over time. $60 over 18 months vs. $350.00 for the HD-650 over 12 months and $250.00 for the MS2 over 6 months...

Brilliant value for money.

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #304 of 869
Actually, i got them from a user here..who got them from a user here..so, i'm the third owner. pretty sure they are burnt-in..i love them, but hearing what is possible with these headphones..makes me want to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Hey Jabber, just wait after they burn-in...

Mar 24, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #305 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by quackattack
Alright guys, I think you got me. I am going to have to go pick up some of these baby's tonight or tomorrow.

One quick questions before I take the plunge. Can anyone speak to how much they improve with an amp? Thanks!

They did great for me, before I had to send my amp in for repairs. JMT's work on has been very good so far, so up's to that.

Hey Quackattack, are you coming the March 26th meet in Portland on Saturday? I'm bringing my SR60's and SR125's if you want an audition, someone in attendance will most likely bring an amp too. If you need the thread, search my posts and you'll see it. Should be good; some of us are also invited to hear some B&W Nautilus speakers.

Oh, and Jabberbox, Just wait until you get some 414 pads in VWAP flavor. Bam!
Late,
Abe

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #306 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I would recommend the 414 pads over the RS, but you don't need to pay $15 for them. Go here and then dye them with black shoe polish or something. That worked for me, I just had to let the pads sit for a day or two to dry and then they were good to go. Then, using an exacto-knife and a quarter, you can cut a center hole out of the pad very easily and get GREAT sound out of the 414 pads.

For future's sake, I might consider linking where you can get the 414 pads in my signature, if it helps anyone.
Stay
rs1smile.gif
ing my babys,
Abe

Considering it's $4 for pads, $3.50 for shipping, then whatever I need to pay for shoe polish, along with the chances of it not working and rubbing off on my ears, it might just be worth the $15 or so.

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #307 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Hey Quackattack, are you coming the March 26th meet in Portland on Saturday? I'm bringing my SR60's and SR125's if you want an audition, someone in attendance will most likely bring an amp too. If you need the thread, search my posts and you'll see it. Should be good; some of us are also invited to hear some B&W Nautilus speakers.

No, I'm really dissapointed I can't make it. I am on spring break right now, I won't be getting into Oregon until 6:00 that night. It's too bad, I really would have like the chance to hear everybody's stuff! Anyways, hope you all have a great time, looking forward to reading the impressions.

By the way, I'm out the door right now to pick up my SR-60's. Curse you Head-Fi!

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #308 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by quackattack
No, I'm really dissapointed I can't make it. I am on spring break right now, I won't be getting into Oregon until 6:00 that night. It's too bad, I really would have like the chance to hear everybody's stuff! Anyways, hope you all have a great time, looking forward to reading the impressions.

By the way, I'm out the door right now to pick up my SR-60's. Curse you Head-Fi!

If no one else does first, I might get right on it ASAP after the meet's done, and then have everyone else contribute pics of the event (no damn digital camera for me yet!) But if my project on "Poor Man's Ety's/Canalphones" takes off, maybe I can sell my SR125's off for one with at least 3-4 MP's and good memory instead of plunking down my dough on some ER6i's.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sottilde
Considering it's $4 for pads, $3.50 for shipping, then whatever I need to pay for shoe polish, along with the chances of it not working and rubbing off on my ears, it might just be worth the $15 or so.

If you already have the shoe poish, that would be nice. Borrow it if ya have to. I bought 2 pairs of the 414 pads and it was $11.07, I think. So I have one modded pair and one unmodded pair(that I wonder if I should take out of the sealed package and add to my pads selection?)

Mar 27, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #311 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by jabberbox
just ordered the 414 pads..the bowls are sort of uncomfortable after a while.

They get that way. I just can't like them for that reason, and the tone they present is not what I'd call true to Grados.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifesaburrito
The SR-80s should arrive in the mail tomorrow, or so. Should I get the 454 pads for the 80s?

The HD414 pads are what you'd want. My earlier posts link where you can get them from Sennheiser. Hope that helps...

I went to the 3/26 Portland, OR HeadFi meet and got to really hear Flat pads for the first time, and all I can say is "damn"! They smooth out ANY harshness present in any Grado cans, and they are about as comfortable as unmodded HD414 pads. The tone they present was just about as perfect as a pad gets for me. They aren't worth 30$ for use on lower end cans, but on anything 325i and up, definitely THE pads to use. I also tried Audiophile Beta C-Pads, and although they sounded great, they couln't top the flats to me. They also weren't aligned for my small head, so it was kind of adverse to the experience. They were hella comfy though.

Having new experiences with
rs1smile.gif
's,
Abe

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #313 of 869
How do the SR-60s stack up against the A500s? I know they are 2 different cans (Open and closed), but, as someone about to listen to his first pair of audiophile cans, which one do you recommend that I get? How much of a difference is there between the two?

EDIT: Also, how about some more SR-60s pics? I want more!
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #314 of 869
I could link you a TON of SR60 pics, Azure. It'll take me some time to scour through my bookmarks though. eBay has some pretty nice ones from time to time. My favorite SR325 pics came out of there.

Using unmodded 414 pads on my SR60's at the moment... comfort is great, and the sound is just right, sort of reminiscient of Flat pads. Maybe an extra listen to my VWAP 414 pads will clarify the differences...

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #315 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
How do the SR-60s stack up against the A500s? I know they are 2 different cans (Open and closed), but, as someone about to listen to his first pair of audiophile cans, which one do you recommend that I get? How much of a difference is there between the two?

I think you listen to Techno? If this is the case I would recommend the A500 instead of the MS-1, so I assume the SR-60 too, because the A500 has deeper, bigger bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back