The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #676 of 2,859
TBH I was kinda dissapointed that the HF-2's were 400 bucks as well. I wouldve pre-ordered it in a second were they 200$ like the HF-1. I just cannot justify putting down that sort of money on a HP right now. Were it 200$ even if I werent planning on buying another HP, I would've still gone ahead and ordered one, just because its a Head-fi special edition phone. But at 400$, as much as I love headfi, I can't do it
frown.gif

May 26, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #677 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TBH I was kinda dissapointed that the HF-2's were 400 bucks as well. I wouldve pre-ordered it in a second were they 200$ like the HF-1. I just cannot justify putting down that sort of money on a HP right now. Were it 200$ even if I werent planning on buying another HP, I would've still gone ahead and ordered one, just because its a Head-fi special edition phone. But at 400$, as much as I love headfi, I can't do it
frown.gif

It is definitely no small amount of money to spend on HPs, especially if it is in the spur of the moment or if you have no real need for a new pair. I was lucky when the HF-2 was announced because I was set on spending some money on a new set of HPs, probably the HD650s, but to my surprise the HF-2s show up and it was almost a no brainer for me to choose the HF-2s over the HD650s since I love the Grado sound. The fact that Todd was offering the 30 day money-back guarantee pretty much sealed the deal for me.

May 26, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #678 of 2,859
I can't remember if I bought them online while I was here (in India) and had them shipped to my parents or if I happened to be visiting my parents in Detroit when they came out. There are no good audiophile stores here in Kolkata.

I love my HF1's. But I reaaaallly think they could have made a better compromise for us between price and quality, for something new and exciting. I would even have gone up to just under $300. But $429 for the headfier's? Come ON!

Look, I hardly post anything negative here on these forums. But I really feel that in this case they are taking advantage of the fact that the 'average' price of headfi'ers 'phones has gone up significantly in the last few years. Todd and Grado could have done something a lot nicer for us, especially with the economy being as it is and most of us suffering for that.

BTW, I'm an American who has been living in India for the past 11 years doing missionary/volunteer work in Kolkata.

You see, having the HF1's just makes it even more painful that I won't be able to get the HF2's~!

And PS Emelius? Your karma comment makes no sense. Because I got one good pair of headphones I've used up all my good headphone karma? or... what? I should just be grateful that I have one good set of headphones because I live in a poor country? uummmmm.... okay.

I'm just super disappointed in these guys.

May 26, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #679 of 2,859
It's hard to say at this point how nice they're being...it's possible that we'll get another headphone that's fighting outside it's price range. But be aware that both TTVJ and Grado Labs are for profit businesses, and depend on sales of products like these to feed their families. The big gift to the community is that $40 from every sale goes to Jude to help fund the site.

May 26, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #680 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinneresque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my HF1's. But I reaaaallly think they could have made a better compromise for us between price and quality, for something new and exciting. Look, I hardly post anything negative here on these forums. But I really feel that in this case they are taking advantage of the fact that the 'average' price of headfi'ers 'phones has gone up significantly in recent years. Todd and Grado could have done something a lot nicer for us, especially with the economy being as it is and most of us suffering for that.

I'm just super disappointed in these guys.

I don't even see how you can make this statement when you haven't even heard the HF2, let alone seen what they look like. You don't know what the quality is so how can you ask for a better compromise in price?

May 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #681 of 2,859
Quote:

Todd and Grado could have done something a lot nicer for us, especially with the economy being as it is and most of us suffering for that.

I don't get this statement at all. Todd and Grado Labs are making and distributing a special headphone for Head-Fi members. Nothing more and nothing less. And based on the HF-1, I think they've earned some trust with respect to pricing.

Quote:

BTW, I'm an American who has been living in India for the past 11 years doing missionary/volunteer work in Kolkata.

What does this have to do with anything?

May 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #682 of 2,859
The point is, make something great that most of us can AFFORD.

Not something that I would say at least half of us have to be sad about, because there is no way we can afford it.

Please, tell me John Grado can't create something amazing for $300 or less.

May 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #683 of 2,859
Sheesh. Grado targets a product specifically for a particular enthusiast community, and devotes a portion of the proceeds to that community, and you're disappointed?

I could see being disappointed that the HF2s are outside of your price range -- they're certainly outside of mine at the moment. But being disappointed with Grado and Todd? Please.

May 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #684 of 2,859
Quote:

Please, tell me John Grado can't create something amazing for $300 or less.

It's called the SR series. And the Alessandro MS-1.

May 26, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #685 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does this have to do with anything?

Monkey, it has to do with someone's earlier comment that 'how did I get the HF'1's if I live in India.'

And Nugget, I am talking about the point was that they wanted to do something special and unique for the headfiers.

Many of us here have discussed recently how five years ago it was normal to spend $150-200 on headphones, and now it's become normal to spend $400, $600 or more - largely because of they hype and flavors of the month etc. that are perpetuated on this site. I'm not knocking head-fi, I really love the community and I try to contribute as I can. But I do believe that this is NOT something John Grado and Todd did to be nice for us, I believe it is something they did to sell a large amount of expensive headphones very quickly.

I'm sorry, I guess people are getting offended because I'm complaining about the price. I just truly feel they could have done something a lot nicer for us.... I mean we do contribute a great deal to their businesses already.

And I am 100% SURE that there are hundreds of headfiers crying out there because these beautiful grado phones made 'just for us' are out of their reach.

May 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #686 of 2,859
chill_pill.jpg

Until we have seen and heard the HF-2 we should not make claims about value for money, and such.
They may be expensive for some, but for those there are always the SR-series. I am sure some would post negative comments if they released a HF-2 for $200, surpassing the HF-1 in sound quality, but at 1/2 of their current selling price.

Either way someone would end up unpleased!

May 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #689 of 2,859
atleast even view it, its surprising to me how people are paying $400+ for a product that is yet to be seen. Thats some strong brand trust (companies would kill to have this), if it value of the product does not equal the price; theres going to be alot of returns but also brand mistrust; which is pretty risky. To counter theres going to be the surge of beautiful suger sprinkled reviews.

May 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #690 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cant complain about the price before you hear the headphones.

Well, you can. Not that long ago people were complaining about the lack of high-end headphones in the market. I think the K701 was the only flagship that had come out about that time. Now, it's the opposite. People are complaining that the high or higher-end offerings that have come out in the past year or so should be priced to fit whatever their budget may be, whether or not it's realistic.

I understand that spinneresque was hoping for something he could afford, but I'm pretty sure that Grado was trying to offer the best sound quality for a budget many could afford. Per Jude's report, the sound quality is better than the HF1s. If the quality were lower, there would be complaints about that; and if the sq were more in line with the PS1s or HP2, the price would be prohibitive to most. I'll find out in three days how HF2s look and sound. I'm anticipating that they have the characteristic Grado sound, are of better sq than the SR line, and not as refined as their flagship offerings. If true, the price is right in line with other manufacturer's offerings. The fact that they are exclusively offering them to head-fiers is still pretty damn cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back