The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 26, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #691 of 2,859
I wasn't a member of this forum when the HF-1's were offered, but was there this much grousing then?

I get the feeling that John and Todd can't win. People complain that the cans are too expensive and not a value (sight unseen, no less), that John is somehow gipping Head-Fi'ers by charging more for a custom set of cans that may or may not equal another set of custom cans, and that because "can A" costs $5.00 to make then these should only cost "$X" amount. Are you guys nuts?

You could give the guys a chance to haul the HF-2 out for all to see before the flaming starts. While I would have liked to catch the HF-1 offer, I am very happy to participate in this deal because it is only for Head-Fi'ers. I am happy to support a site that has caused me to appreciate music, technology, and spend lots of money on stuff.

John, Todd, Thank you very much for this exclusive and generous offer. I've never owned anything that made me feel I was part of something exclusive (with the exception of my military uniforms and Star Trek paraphernalia
icon10.gif
).

V/R,
-HK sends

PS - Jude, I think the funds going to support your site is money well spent for the hours of enjoyment and frustration I've experienced here.

May 26, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #692 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To counter theres going to be the surge of beautiful suger sprinkled reviews.

So, are you suggesting Todd and/or Grado has hired shills? That might be a consideration if we were in the amp forum, but other than a couple fanboys, and some new toy love impressions going around, I think that's pretty out of line.

I personally know at least 10-15 people who have ordered the HF2s who won't be posting sugar-coated reviews unless they deserve such. I expect, like all headphones I've heard, that the HF2s will have strengths and flaws. How each person weighs both, based on his or her own tastes and experience, as well as the rest of the gear, will vary quite a bit if history holds true. I'm hoping to like them. We'll see.

May 26, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #694 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that spinneresque was hoping for something he could afford, but I'm pretty sure that Grado was trying to offer the best sound quality for a budget many could afford. <snip> The fact that they are exclusively offering them to head-fiers is still pretty damn cool.

Of course, that was also what was cool about the HF1's. That they were offered just to us. Ok, now you say Grado is offering us the best SQ that many can afford, but 4 years ago the offering was $200, that was what many could afford. Now it's $430.

I see that many of you here were not around when the HF1's came out, so you don't know how exciting it was that not only were they custom-making something for us in the spirit of appreciation, but what they were making was clearly affordable for almost all of us. Now that aspect of it is gone.

It can't be denied that the average 'acceptable' cost of decent headphones has gone up since the HF1's came out, and these businesses are taking advantage of that. Truthfully, most of the blame belongs to us I suppose for letting the hype-price snowball so quickly in these last few years.

For the record, I have MUCH respect for John Grado and I don't think he's really responsible for this setting of the price. I just wish that if enough of us requested them to lower it a bit, perhaps they would. I'm sure there would still be plenty of profit to go all around.

May 26, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #695 of 2,859
Quote:

Well, you can. Not that long ago people were complaining about the lack of high-end headphones in the market. I think the K701 was the only flagship that had come out about that time. Now, it's the opposite. People are complaining that the high or higher-end offerings that have come out in the past year or so should be priced to fit whatever their budget may be, whether or not it's realistic.

I understand that spinneresque was hoping for something he could afford, but I'm pretty sure that Grado was trying to offer the best sound quality for a budget many could afford. Per Jude's report, the sound quality is better than the HF1s. If the quality were lower, there would be complaints about that; and if the sq were more in line with the PS1s or HP2, the price would be prohibitive to most. I'll find out in three days how HF2s look and sound. I'm anticipating that they have the characteristic Grado sound, are of better sq than the SR line, and not as refined as their flagship offerings. If true, the price is right in line with other manufacturer's offerings. The fact that they are exclusively offering them to head-fiers is still pretty damn cool.

Well if Grado is offering something special to head-fi community what I would like to see is a pair headphones of exceptional value. If these sound like hi-end Grado (PS1, PS1000, RS1 etc.) and cost much less they would fit the bill.

If they sound like $400 headphones should sound and don't reach above their price I don't see why people are so exited. Well maybe the ability to own LTD headphones and help head-fi is a benefit of it's own, but to me sound quality is more important than exclusivity.

Somehow I have a feeling these will sound good, in a Grado way, and be a good value. Not that I am selling my Stax for them.
o2smile.gif
, but I will give them an honest review.
tongue.gif

May 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #696 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinneresque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And PS Emelius? Your karma comment makes no sense. Because I got one good pair of headphones I've used up all my good headphone karma? or... what? I should just be grateful that I have one good set of headphones because I live in a poor country?

just pointing out that $200 for that level of Grado in Calcutta is a great price...i don't think you can realistically expect to get that kinda deal on every special edition Grado, especially outside the U.S....has nothing to do with india being a poor country (nor was that meant to be implied)...you practically stole those HF-1...i'm impressed...but sometimes you have to pay too much for what you really want...splurge or don't...

May 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #697 of 2,859
Quote:

So, are you suggesting Todd and/or Grado has hired shills? That might be a consideration if we were in the amp forum, but other than a couple fanboys, and some new toy love impressions going around, I think that's pretty out of line.

Yes, that came out of line. I did not want to suggest such activities would come from the supplier or manufacturer. I was trying to suggest in the beginning there will be many really good reviews which will drive sales.

May 26, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #698 of 2,859
I see the backlash has begun. Even before anyone really knows what the HF-2 is or has heard it.

First, keep in mind that the price is likely discounted. From what I've gathered over the years, there's a pretty healthy margin for Grado dealers. A few have violated the MAP agreement and prices were considerably low on new ones. My guess is that a bit of margin is gone for TTVJ - after all, he is guaranteed several hundred sales.

As for the whole value proposition... really, folks, keep in mind what we have here. Pretty much every headphone here costs way, way more than what it is actually worth. If you have the disposable cash, then it's not a big deal.

Affordability is a matter of perspective. $430 is not that much. If you've over 18, you probably have a credit card. Just charge it and pay $40 or $50 a month on it. Or just don't buy it at all. Buying a HF-2 is not a requirement for membership here. If you want a cheap Grado, just buy a SR-60. They sound good and you can get a lot of great music for $70.

Do anyone really think members are going to sugarcoat reviews? I don't. The HF-1 was exciting, but it's middle of the pack in my stable. It is good, but it spends a lot more time in storage than the RS-1 does. If the HF-2 is short of great, I have shelf space right next to the HF-1 for it.

It is fun to speculate about the build and voicing of the HF-2, but don't get carried away. There is no conspiracy to sell them or cheat purchasers of other headphones in the Grado line.

Keep in mind what the HF-2 actually is. The HF-2 is a custom model specifically for Head-Fi. It is a "thank you," it is a fundraiser and it is something fun for people who enjoy Grados. I don't care about the rest. I'm buying it to support Head-Fi, Grado and TTVJ. I think it'll be a fun listen, too.

Aside from that, I'm not going to overthink the HF-2. I'll just enjoy it for what it is. I'm on board for the HF-3, as well, though I doubt Mr. Grado has given it any thought yet.

May 27, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #699 of 2,859
You cannot put a value on a Human Being for example. A scant four pounds of chemicals and a majority of Water. But the combination makes individuals of each of us....

Lets not think about the price or the cumulation of materials that make up a simple headphone. But how the artistic combination of materials can acoustically touch our minds and hearts.

I'm sorry that some members can't afford the latest offerings, but the price on the HF-2 isn't out of line. And it promotes a good cause while the expenditure is refundable if the sound qualities don't measure up to individual standards.

May 27, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #701 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, a life is worth about $129,000 or almost exactly 300 HF2s.

I think the article mentioned that was 1 year of "quality" life (or two years on dialysis). Don't get me started on medicine and it's coverage and practices in the U.S.!

May 27, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #702 of 2,859
I'm really dismayed with the tone of this thread. The whining is excruciating. No one is forcing anyone to purchase the HF-2. As in anything in life, some will be able to afford it. Some will not. Some will want it. Others won't. There will be those that love the HF-2. Members will hate it. But to whine, why? If you want to help Head-Fi and won't or can't buy the HF-2, become a Contributing Member and listen to your favorite headphone knowing you helped the cause in your own way. Me? I'll give the HF-2 a fair shake and then evaluate it's worth.

May 27, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #703 of 2,859
I have criticized Grado's business practices in the past, but I have long since had an about-face on that belief based on what I have read further as to the intent of that practice. Having said that, I do not see any other headphone manufacturer do what Grado has done with the HF-1 and HF-2. I think it is a nice gesture, and I cannot wait to see what the HF-2 looks like. I passed on the HF-1 (and I am not regretting it), but jumped on the HF-2 upon hearing of the no plastic clue from Todd.

I am realistic about my expectations. It will probably not best the RS-1 in sound quality, even though the scarcity and exclusivity of the HF-2 would drive a HUGE premium if it did best the RS-1. I do not think that the HF-2 would cannibalize the sales of the RS-1 if it were the case based on the scarcity, but based on the price, I really do not think this will be the case. If anything, I am hoping to get a huge helping of PS-1 sound, since I will never pay what that headphone commands. Whatever the case, I hope the sound is different that the current lineup.

May 27, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #704 of 2,859
I don't see the problem, if you can't afford the 430 don't buy it. Don't complain and try to ruin it for those of us that appreciate what grado and ttvj are doing. There is a 30 day return policy to make sure we are satisfied, money is going to head-fi it's just a win win. It is going to be wood, metal, or a combo of the 2 and you still wanted it to be 200 again like the hf1, yea that is fair and reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back