The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Oct 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #1,172 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly the same happened to me. K701 on a tubeamp was fantastic. But the SR325 got all the listening time back then and the K701 had to go.

Same story in my case... I tried them yesterday after listening to the HF2, sure they have some ability but they are so boring... no bass, no slam, remote mids.. I'll keep them until I'll have my beta22 achieved then I'll decide.

Getting back to the HF2, I like it. After some burn-in, bass didn't changed that much, still very present, going really low, maybe less "cloudy" but highs opened up while still not being really sharp. On the other hand, mids are incredibly analytics, or I should say articulate. It's a magnifier on voices.
Also, my feet tap much more often than with any other can... that says a lot.
Recabled with some silver + the bagel, and I think these could be my definitive cans. Sur I could get better but don't will to spend the price asked.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #1,173 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The jumbo-pads are better when the HF-2's have been breaking in for some time. In the beginning I thought the sound was too thin with the jumbos. But now they are my favourites.

That was the impression I posted the first time I tried the Jumbos, so I agree with you.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #1,174 of 1,528
I have SR 125, HF-1, HF-2 grados. HF-1 was my favorite...until HF-2. HF-2 is like HF-1 with the "loudness" button pushed, kinda. Best analogy I can think of. The lows gp lower, more impact, the mids are great. The treble is well...maybe not quite as sparkly as the HF-1, but overall the HF-2 wins, but not by much actually. The law of diminishing returns is at work here, big time. The HF-1's were $200, the HF-2. $429. Twice as good? Certainly not. Having a limited edition, Head-F1 only can that sounds as good as it does...priceless!!

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #1,175 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have SR 125, HF-1, HF-2 grados. HF-1 was my favorite...until HF-2. HF-2 is like HF-1 with the "loudness" button pushed, kinda. Best analogy I can think of. The lows gp lower, more impact, the mids are great. The treble is well...maybe not quite as sparkly as the HF-1, but overall the HF-2 wins, but not by much actually. The law of diminishing returns is at work here, big time. The HF-1's were $200, the HF-2. $429. Twice as good? Certainly not. Having a limited edition, Head-F1 only can that sounds as good as it does...priceless!!

I agree that the HF-1 has more "sparkly" - impressively so, but with bass, too. That's what separates the HF-1 from other Grados, IMHO - the bass that accompanies that "sparkly." The HF-2 seems much more robust, though. I agree with the sensation fo the "loudness" button, but the HF-2 is much more refined. There's some breakup in the HF-1's highs, but none in the HF-2. Both phones are my absolute favorites. Either one can beat a Stax Lambda in speed and that's saying something. The HF-2 is very similar to a modded Ortho - very fluid in the highs, with none of the 10K peakiness that most Grados exhibit. At the same time, Sennheiser bass slam and mids-refinement is there. Very nice.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #1,176 of 1,528
hi, i am the proud owner of number 467. I got them and burned them in for about 30-40 hours by now. I love them...definitely the best i heard but i havent heard that many higher end ones.

I have been using mine with the pads backwards.. I like them a little better this way. How does this compare with me getting the jumbo pads?

anyone who has the jumbo care to compare what is the difference?

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #1,177 of 1,528
HF2s with the jumbo pads are surprisingly decent with Classical music. Granted, I have yet to hear some classical with a pair of HD6x0s or AKGs, but the extra airiness that the jumbos provide lessens the bass and balances everything out for classical. Don't have a huge sense of space, which I suspect the Senns or AKGs would provide, but details, tonality, nothing seems out of place.

The jumbos are still too bright with rock or anything badly mastered, anything that is remotely harsh will kill my ears. Maybe it's time to get a new amp?

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #1,178 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HF2s with the jumbo pads are surprisingly decent with Classical music. Granted, I have yet to hear some classical with a pair of HD6x0s or AKGs, but the extra airiness that the jumbos provide lessens the bass and balances everything out for classical. Don't have a huge sense of space, which I suspect the Senns or AKGs would provide, but details, tonality, nothing seems out of place.

The jumbos are still too bright with rock or anything badly mastered, anything that is remotely harsh will kill my ears. Maybe it's time to get a new amp?

interesting. Has anyone compared hf2 jumbos with GS1000? I love the organic sound of HF-2 but they are no good with classical music due to unbalanced presentation.
Also, where can you get new jumbo pads?

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #1,179 of 1,528
With the jumbo pads, check out this mod to fix the brightness. I don't need it with the Ref 1/Phoenix, as it doesn't have any harshness. I think putting the jumbo pads on brings out the frequencies more where we are sensitive to harshness. However, at least with my rig, the jumbos make them a very relaxed listen which I reckon would be good for classical or anything that benefits from a larger soundstage.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #1,180 of 1,528
Actually using that mod, and anything not classical or light music, it's still a bit too harsh. I suspect it's something in my system (most likely amp), so still need to play around with some stuff (tubes, tweaks, etc.).

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #1,181 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting. Has anyone compared hf2 jumbos with GS1000? I love the organic sound of HF-2 but they are no good with classical music due to unbalanced presentation.

I like more mids than I got from the GD-1000 at CanJam, and would take the PS-1000, RS-1 and HF-2 over the GS-1000.

I think the HF-2 with bagel/donut pads sounds similar to my RS-1 with bowls and APS V3 cable, but with more bass than the RS-1. The mids are not as in your face as HF-2 with bowls or RS-1 with flats, but neither are they lacking or recessed. The treble is not harsh but is crisp and sparkly.

I have decided to leave the big GS bowls on for now, and maybe do the normal bowls occasionally to change things up a bit every once in a while.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #1,182 of 1,528
omg g-cush is so expensive! $45!!!!!

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #1,183 of 1,528
Quote:

omg g-cush is so expensive! $45!!!!!

I would look at it this way- HF-2 sound very different when you change from bowl pads to jumbo pads. You pay $45 extra and now have two pairs of headphones.

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #1,184 of 1,528
Quote:

I have these two cans but keep going back to the GS1ki. The differences are light and day.

The bass on the GS1k is deeper, more controlled without being bloated. The soundstage is so incredibly airy and has depth.

I think that the GS1ks shines with classical to answer your question. The HF2 have a little more punch that makes it pair well with modern rock and pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back