The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Sep 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #901 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment, I'm finding the HF-2 mids a bit too forward and the soundstage is congested, so am going to pull the trigger on jumbo pads in the hope that will improve things. Much of this feeling is the result of my other headphones atm being HD-800s though.

The jumbo pads IMHO will improve in the area of the soundstage/imaging and makes the HF2 present a more balance sound.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #902 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
comparing the HF2 with bagel pads to the Lambda Signature, i find that they are quite similar in terms of soundstage and presentation. the Sig is definitely more hyper detailed and better at separation, and clarity. i find the Sig to also be the more neutral phone with better balance throughout. the Sig has great bass which goes really low, but the HF2 has more bass punch. highs on both are about the same and the mids on both are similar as well, except the HF2 sounds slightly warmer. the HF2 is more "fun" to listen to, which isn't to say the Sig isn't fun at all. they both have their fun moments. if i were to pick which is the better performer? the Sig definitely wins by a slight margin. as far as the amount of enjoyment, it's a tie between them.
happy_face1.gif

Thanks for the comparsion of those two headphones. Its nice to know the differences between them.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #903 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is no comparison between dynamic and electrostat since one has more air pressure, and one has fluid sound with ultimate ease of execution. I dont get the point, or people comparing HD800 to HF2 that is crazy to me.

Comparing HF2 to the HD800 as a whole package its not really a fair match. But if we break it down to certain section it’s ok. The HF2 with the Jumbo pads has change the sound signature of the stock bowl HF2 significantly (for the better) . Balanced HF2 with jumbos soundstage is better than the Balanced HD650 APS v3 cable, it has better depth and wider sound. The overall presentation of the sound is more natural then stock bowls.

I’m sure other members with jumbos HF2 would like to know where their jumbos pad HF2 stands in terms of imaging and soundstage againest the HD800.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #904 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not exactly. From what I recall, the MS-2i has a bit leaner sound to it, and the highs were a bit more pronounced than the HF-2s. The low end is also a lot bassier on the HF-2s, so I wouldn't know if a different enclosure would change the sound signature that significantly.

Thanks for your reply azncc, I really wonder what Grado does to the diaphragm or voice coil to change the sound.

With all the jumbo pad discussion, I think its time to give them a try and see...umm hear for myself.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #905 of 1,528
I'd pretty much disregarded most of the talk of using the bagel pads, but with the continued discussion, I'm starting to thaw to the idea. I'm still skeptical, but if more people start posting positive experiences with them, I'll probably jump on-board.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #906 of 1,528
I'm tempted to try the jumbos as well. With about 35 hours on them so far, the bass is a little overpowering.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #907 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The jumbo pads IMHO will improve in the area of the soundstage/imaging and makes the HF2 present a more balance sound.

I hope your right along with other members comments regarding the jumbos because I just put my order in with Todd.

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #909 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope your right along with other members comments regarding the jumbos because I just put my order in with Todd.

At least they'll keep you warm in the winter. In the right system and to the right ears, they may be winners, but so far still a bit bright for me too.

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #910 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jury's still out with the jumbos and HF-2s, at least for me. Still find them a bit too bright for my tastes.

I agree. It makes them sound like GS1000's. It makes me wonder just how different the grado drivers really are on the different models. I've had similar experiences swapping pads on the RS-1 and GS-1000.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #911 of 1,528
Quote:

The Jumbos will make the Grado HF2 sound brighter than stock bowls. So if you're not using a warm tube amp to tame the highs then it's not a good combination. This setup like any other setup requires good synergy between your equipment to sound good.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #912 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Jumbos will make the Grado HF2 sound brighter than stock bowls. So if you're not using a warm tube amp to tame the highs then it's not a good combination. This setup like any other setup requires good synergy between your equipment to sound good.

I'll be amping them with an Ear+HD and I have several tubes to roll.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #913 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least they'll keep you warm in the winter. In the right system and to the right ears, they may be winners, but so far still a bit bright for me too.

I concur with your comment, the HF2 needs the right system to sound right. The HF2 are indeed brighter with jumbos compare to the stock bowls. Warm tube amp is recommended in this case or else the jumbos pads just sound too bright.

If anyone that is thinking of getting the jumbos make sure you have an warm sounding amp to pair with the HF2 jumbo pads.

beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #914 of 1,528
Quote:

I'll be amping them with an Ear+HD and I have several tubes to roll.

Thats good, once you roll a few tubes you will notice that not all tube sound warm and lush. The good thing about tube rolling is that you can roll different tubes to get the sound you are looking for.

Horses for courses

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #915 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. It makes them sound like GS1000's. It makes me wonder just how different the grado drivers really are on the different models. I've had similar experiences swapping pads on the RS-1 and GS-1000.

If the HF2 with jumbos sound like the GS1000s then does that mean, presume that if the person likes the sound coming out of their Jumbo pad HF2. He/She has just indeed got the best bargain in Head Fi history and will drive the price of the HF2 even higher???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back