The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Aug 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #706 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do. It's too bad they felt the need to bring in Natalie Merchant.

Haven't heard that one myself but I'm thinking she would ruin it for me.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #708 of 1,528
Quote:

I love margot timmons to the point I've considered stalking her, so it's just a crime to put someone else singing those songs.

Especially when that someone is Natalie Merchant. :p

It's kind of irrational, I can't put my finger on why but I've just never liked her.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #709 of 1,528
Quote:

I still love them, I just am willing to part with the grados to get JH13s, a new source, and a new amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd probably be willing to part with mine for $1000 too. Best of luck with that sale.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #710 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Especially when that someone is Natalie Merchant. :p

It's kind of irrational, I can't put my finger on why but I've just never liked her.

I love me some Natalie M. Just not singing Margo's parts on some beautiful, beautiful tunes.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #711 of 1,528
Got my HF-2 yesterday - here are some quick impressions.

Clearly shares DNA with the HF-1, and clearly an improvement in sound.

Bass is mighty powerful, but not tight. I expect this to improve with burn-in.

Best "verve" I've heard. Rock sounds like a dream.

Perhaps counter-intuitively, I prefer Dynalo (solid-state) to Millett-Hybrid (tube) by far. To me, the HF-2 nails the presentation, so all the amp needs to do is give it gobs of clean power and get out of the way!

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #712 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdaq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my HF-2 yesterday - here are some quick impressions.

Clearly shares DNA with the HF-1, and clearly an improvement in sound.

Bass is mighty powerful, but not tight. I expect this to improve with burn-in.

Best "verve" I've heard. Rock sounds like a dream.

Perhaps counter-intuitively, I prefer Dynalo (solid-state) to Millett-Hybrid (tube) by far. To me, the HF-2 nails the presentation, so all the amp needs to do is give it gobs of clean power and get out of the way!

What SN? Please post in the HF-2 SN repository thread. Thanks.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #713 of 1,528
I received my HF-2 today, and was rather suprised to see that it had Head-F1 emblazoned on the side?! is this a tribute to the HF-1, or just a blatant mistake?

Having said that, in the short time I have spent with them, I prefer them to my RS-1i's already....

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #714 of 1,528
You're kidding, right? This has been so thoroughly discussed I don't see how you could possibly have not been aware, but still known enough to order.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #715 of 1,528
Quote:

You're kidding, right? This has been so thoroughly discussed I don't see how you could possibly have not been aware, but still known enough to order.

I ordered a pair the day after they were announced, but being in the UK they have only just arrived (#201). I havent had the time for head fi recently (work driving me mad!) but these seem rather nice to me! 1 or no 1!

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #716 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 60 hours of burn in, these headphones have changed drastically. They went from a painful, unlistenable pair of headphones, to a can with deep controlled bass, surprisingly pleasant mids, and semi-wide soundstage (un-Grado like) that leans a little towards the forward), and the highs, while being a little edgy and I feel the need to turn down the volume slightly, are clean, crisp and quite accurate.

I compared them to my HP-2's this morning and find that the mids on the HP1000 are superior, but the bass of the HF-2 is deeper (more subsonic) and has greater authority. The highs are in the same league.

Since the first group of people (CanJam group of ~24) did not hear what I heard right out of the box, and probably don't respect my listening opinions anymore after what I wrote earlier, I wonder if they had pairs that were deemed to be listened to at Canjam, with some double digit amounts of hours already on them.
I would like any of these members to listen to some of the newer HF-2's that are currently being delivered to take a listen and see if they sounded like the pairs that they received at Canjam.
I have been evaluating audio components for a heck of a long time and unless I am fighting a bout with Alzheimer's or Dementia (which is entirely possible), there's no way that anyone worth their salt could have listened to the pair that I received right out of the box, and say that they sounded even remotely pleasing.

As of now, besides the build quality, they are starting to become a world class headphone that I will be proud to have in my collection, as long as the edgy highs smooth out a little.

Having just received mine, and stuck them straight on my head out of the box, I can see what you are getting at, whilst slightly harsh, I somehow see them being worth competitors to my RS1is

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #718 of 1,528
It will be in another price class at least hehe, given that there were only 500 and the production was cut off abruptly rather than strung out.

I haven't spent a lot of time with mine nor done critical listening but I like what I hear so far with bowls. Sadly there was a miscommunication with Todd and he forgot something in my order but it wasn't charged either. If these stop improving after 250 hours that will be fine, 10 days is a while and I'll try not to listen constantly to get a less psychologically-influenced impression.

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #719 of 1,528
Just go mine a few hours ago. They spent 2 hours on my head immediately. I ran them straight out of my home receiver (haven't decided on an amp yet).

After checking them for any of the standard imperfections, I was pleased to see that my set looked great, except for the y-split which looks like a teething toddler chewed on it. So it goes.

I plugged them in and my very first impression was.... I got ripped off. The highs were hollow, the mids were very repressed. I was actually kind of pissed.

Then, after two songs, things started to get better, much better. After an hour I started to smile. I have no idea how things are going to keep changing, but as a bass player, I was very pleased with the way it "pulled out" the bass line, which can often get lost. This is probably due to some exaggeration in that freq range, but I don't really care.

So far, the soundstage seems to suck. I am not a soundstage freak, but just for kicks I tried them out with my xbox 360 and I could not identify the direction of the sounds AT ALL. Granted I am used to playing with my home theater set up.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with the phones. My only word of advice is to not freak out if you don't like them at first. My changed drastically in the first couple of minutes. I have no idea why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back