The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Aug 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #736 of 1,528
Without getting in to a whole debate about burn-in there is at least some logic behind pink noise burning in faster - it's equal energy in all octaves and decreases logarithmically as you increase frequency just like human hearing. This is obviously different from music which has varying energy per octave based on it being music. i've done both, SR80s with pink noise I did for about 24 hours and noticed an increase in bass, I'm doing my HF2s with music just by playing my whole library on random. I don't have pink noise tracks scanned in as FLACs so I'm mostly being lazy
tongue.gif

Anyhow after 24 hours of music I felt the HF2s improved in bass accuracy and the treble opened up and extended a little more. After 48 hours they are sounding very good. I don't listen constantly but just check them out a bit at a time with other listening in between to limit any psychoacoustic adaption.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #737 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this opinion or fact ^^^?
If it's fact, any links to resources?

There was a thread from a long time ago with headfiers' results and explanations of using pink noise for burn-in.

The effect is reduced burn-in time.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #738 of 1,528
Well then, I need me some PINK!, because I am a firm, self-proven believer in burn-in (and the voices in my head agree with me
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #739 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well then, I need me some PINK!, because I am a firm, self-proven believer in burn-in (and the voices in my head agree with me
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nice to hear you are at Zen with your inner self.
beerchug.gif

Running back to topic. I just like to whine. that customs in my country is giving me a hard time. My HF2 has been in the post office and in clearing for the last 3 days.

But in any case I'm really happy hearing a HF2 my friend received which passed thru customs like butter. Lol! I find the HF2 with bowls on are more similar with a PS1 than a PS1k. But with bagels they have more soundstage similar to the PS1k but You do loose some of the mids that the HF2 is very good at.

now have to wait for Cutoms to decide to bill me.
angry_face.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #740 of 1,528
I've never been a Pink noise user - simply plug new pairs into rear OUT of a radio and let them burn-in with music day after day on their own.

I haven't done it up until now, but finally plugged HF-2 (300 hrs on them) into Xin Reference (v.B5). My usual portable amp preference for RS-1 is the Pico.............found the Reference is magical for the HF-2. I fully realize folks have been having a very hard time getting their hands on the current Reference - it is the one to own for the HF-2 (it is also the amp of choice for my unusual 32 ohm Darths).

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #741 of 1,528
My favorite music to burn-in ant headphone is Big Band. It runs the gamut of sounds and I can use my cable box with Digital Music Choice on cable, so I don't have to tire out any of my precious components. This worked quite well with my HF-2's. 60 hours made them a much better companion.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #742 of 1,528
I noticed first change at aprox 30 hours.
Yup, Buddy Rich will give any new 'phone a good workout
smily_headphones1.gif
When I hook them up to play some music, also tend to play more big band stuff than otherwise.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #744 of 1,528
Damn, mine shipped too, couldn't get the jumbo pads into my order to save on the shipping. Does the jumbo pads really transform the HF-2s it a completely different monster?

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #745 of 1,528
I've been listening to my HF2 lately with reversed flat pads. In other words, flat pads put on backwards. You've got to make sure all the slits are cut in your flats for them to sit right this way, but if so, it fits great.

It it the most comfortable pad so far for me, because it pushes the driver off the ear, so it actually rests on the pads (isn't that the point of earpads?
tongue.gif
) which still hurts after a while, but not like the grills.

The sound is also near perfect for me. It pushes the mids out to what sounds balanced with the rest of the spectrum to me, and the highs come down a bit, so that the whole range feels very fluid and coherent. Soundstage is less than bowls of course, but better than flats standard, and there is no mushy sound like flats. Only problem for me is that the bass becomes a bit strong. It really sounds like flat pads, but not as extreme, and without the congestion and muddiness.

cheers.

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #746 of 1,528
rhythmdevils - you mean flats with the slit side that would normally be toward the ear away from the ear instead? (In other words a 180 degree rotation) I can see how that would move the driver a little more away from the ear than normal with flats since the non-slit side is a little thicker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Order 5949 + jumbo pads shipped Friday. Is anyone using the HF-2 with a Compass? If so, what Op-Amp and jumper settings are you liking?

I'm using a Compass which was fully broken in before I got the HF2s. I've got all 3 OPAs and the problem I have with trying different ones is that I use my Compass in pure DAC mode too for speakers and I prefer the Earth for that because I feel it doesn't add or take away much of anything for the speakers, same goes for phones even if one might sound 'better' by compensating for something the phones do differently. So I haven't tried the other OPAs. From my previous use of the Sun I'd say it would be good for someone who wants to add that otherwise typical Grado upper range energy, the moon might bo good for someone who wants an even wider soundstage especially in the mids although I find the HF2 fine there.

I've been using the neutral setting for the headphone amp section and liking it so far. While the phones continue to evolve I'll stick with that but I'm thinking that bright might be nice to add a little bit of Grado sparkle back to the highs. I've also got different pads to try
tongue.gif
Boy all this is tiring!

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #747 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rhythmdevils - you mean flats with the slit side that would normally be toward the ear away from the ear instead? (In other words a 180 degree rotation) I can see how that would move the driver a little more away from the ear than normal with flats since the non-slit side is a little thicker.

yup. The slit side goes around the wooden lip. And yeah, it actualy creates a small chamber like bowls, the lip of the pad that usually goes around the drivers now goes up against the ears. Again, I am really impressed by how balanced this sounds, all the detail is there, mids are clear and sweet. Bass is also tight. It doesn't have that much more bass than the bowls, but definitely a bit more, some recordings that have lots of bass can be intense.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #748 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, mine shipped too, couldn't get the jumbo pads into my order to save on the shipping. Does the jumbo pads really transform the HF-2s it a completely different monster?

In my mind I have two great headphones for the price of one. Using the standard bowls and having the Bagels at the ready, I'm able to have two completely different, very noticeable, great listening experiences. Can't say that one is better, but one has greatly more soundstage along with a bit of a spiky treble at the sacrifice of an impactfull base. That being said, the other presents the music in what in my opinion is much warmer and sometimes more inviting. Bagels for classical and jazz. Bowls for rock and electronic.

ja mon
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #749 of 1,528
So, my HF2s arrived yesterday and I've spent maybe 9/10 hours with them thus far. I know it's not a lot, but I thought I'd post some impressions anyway.

For a little bit of background, I've had SR80s for approx. five years, and for a year, year and half, had a pair of GS1000s. I sold the GS1000s at the beginning of this year for a number of reasons:
  1. I was starting to want a change.
  2. While I convinced myself I liked them at first, as time progressed, I felt there was just too much impact from bass and treble was too harsh with a lot of what I listened to which made them quite fatiguing. There were times where I just didn't want to use them.
  3. Weight and size. They were big headphones, and while they maybe weren't as heavy as you'd expect, I was starting to find that I couldn't wear them for long periods of time or I'd get a sore neck. I just didn't like having headphones that size on all the time either.
  4. Build quality/materials. They always felt very fragile. I take care of the things that I buy but I was always worrying that they might get scratched, dented or otherwise damaged.
  5. I was working on building a home theatre room and the money was helpful.

Once they were sold, I went back to my SR80s with the intention of buying something around the £300 price-point using about half the money I made from selling the GS1000s, but I never got around to it. A week before I ordered (which was June 3rd) my SR80s finally died. I had them replaced once, and had to have them recabled a couple of times due to the Y split failing on them. This time, one of the drivers just seemed to have completely died, as they wouldn't produce any sound after recabling them the last time.

So it was good timing on my part that I happened upon the HF-2s and basically bought them without thinking twice because they seemed like such a good deal. (in the UK, Grados are usually about twice as expensive as US prices, so getting them at US prices was a good deal on its own)

Unfortunately due to being a little late on ordering (I have #288) and delays along the way, I was stuck without any headphones for two and a half months! Well, not entirely without headphones—I was stuck using these.
eek.gif
(I had them thrown in with an order a long time ago)

So here are my impressions of the HF2s. Firstly, build quality.

Well, you know what they say about Grados—if they don't have cosmetic issues they're probably fake.

There are lots of little nicks/scratches in the metal, and one of the cups had some stray glue on it, but that came off pretty easily. The metal around the lettering seems a bit… smudged as well. (I thought it was the photo at first)

The Y split on the headphones looks pretty dubious, but better than any of the SR80s I've had or the GS1000.

I prefer the new cabling—it seems much better quality than either of my older Grados. What I don't like about it though is the new connector. The moulded plug seems to be a lot smaller now, and I don't know if it's maybe just that my Grado extension cord is getting old, but it plugs in too far and one of the channels cuts out intermittently. As a temporary measure, I've put a small rubber washer on it which seems to have solved things, but I'll have to see about getting a new extension cord. (or checking it with other equipment to see if it's actually the extension cable or the headphones at fault)

All this aside though, I really like the way they look. The aluminium looks great, the cups are just the right size & shape, and they feel really good too. They feel solid—not light and cheap like my SR80s, but not too big and heavy like the GS1000. Just right as far as I'm concerned. Probably the best looking headphones Grado have released. (well, maybe the old studio ones are comparable, I haven't seen them in person)

The headband seems about right too. The SR80s was cheap, and required quite a bit of manipulation before I was able to get it to fit right.

With the GS1000s, I had a very hard time getting it adjusted to fit well. Because of the big cups, you needed to have them pressing on quite tight or they'd just slip off, but even though it was spread out, that created quite a bit of pressure on the side of your head. I had it just at the point where they wouldn't slip off and I could wear them for a few hours, but it was never quite right.

These are maybe slightly tight right now but they should loosen up a little as time goes on. I don't feel that I really need to stretch the headband out at all though, it's quite comfortable as is.

I still feel that Grado are putting the headbands on backwards though. It was much more of a problem with the GS1000 because they were big and heavy headphones, but they held in place much better if they were reversed with the weight being in front of the headband rather than behind it. I'd really like to see them change that in future, and it probably wouldn't be too difficult.

So how do they sound? Well, initially I was quite disappointed. They don't seem to be harsh like my other Grados were. I'm not sure I'd say they were smooth at the top-end, they're right on the edge of being sibilant but not quite.

Treble felt very thin and hollow at first though—almost low-fi like a cheap radio or something. Fortunately, even after this little time with them, that seems to be disappearing.

Bass is fairly good. I'd say the impact is about right for my taste. There's enough impact there to sound good, but not so much that they're fatiguing after an hour or two like I found with the GS1000.

They don't seem to handle the really low notes though, and sometimes bass isn't as distinct as it could be. I wouldn't say it was muddy, but just not quite as fast/detailed as I'd like.

Sound stage seems fairly good from what I've heard so far. A lot better than the SR80s, but not on the same scale as the GS1000's massive sound stage.

I am wondering though if it's maybe not quite as big as I think it is right now, and the fact these headphones seem so ‘open’ is the reason for it. When I say open, I mean the amount of external sound that they let in and out. I'd say they leak sound more than any of the Grados I've had in the past, and they also let in a fair bit too. This is a little problematic for me, as I now have a HTPC, a projector and an air purifier in here which all have fans that I didn't notice at all with those cheap IEMs.

But they sound very ‘transparent’ as a result of this openness. When watching films, sometimes you aren't sure if a sound is coming from the headphones or if it's a noise in the room that you've heard. That's a very good quality in my opinion, as it makes things sound more convincing.

Something else I've noticed is that I can tolerate these at much louder volumes than other headphones that I've had in the past. Now, I'm not the kind of person that plays things loud at all, nor do I necessarily want everything to be loud.

But I watch a lot of films with headphones on, and I often have the problem that for the quiet bits, I need the headphones turned up louder, and then I find that I have to turn it down for the louder bits. I haven't done a lot of testing, but it seemed like I could tolerate listening at the one volume level with these. (as the film is meant to be heard)

At this point, I'm happy with my purchase. They're maybe not as exciting as the GS1000s were with some music, but they seem like the most balanced and least fatiguing Grados I've heard—a nice middle-ground.

Considering I wear headphones a lot, I think there's a good chance of them becoming my overall favourite headphones as a result of this.

I'd say that they at least match my expectations of what I was getting for this kind of money.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #750 of 1,528
So here I am writing my very first impressions from the first couple hours of listening.

First of all, I think these headphones are still pretty bright sounding, though not quite as forward as many. They are just in front of the band, rather than sitting in it. As for the brightness, I think many people are saying they aren't as bright mostly for what I percieve as warmth, especially in the midrange, where the sound is extremely fluid and smooth, but still reasonably detailed. Separation of instruments isn't anything terribly special in relation to other Grados, but is still no worse than most headphones in this price range. IMHO they are quite well balanced, if leaning a bit towards lower midrange and highs. The bass, as others have said, could be tighter and faster. The attack and release are both extremely fast in other frequency ranges though - the release is the clearest of any Grado I have used, and the attack is par for the course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back