The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Aug 19, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #676 of 1,528
what styles of music do you listen to mostly with the bagels?

Also, why no balanced comparisons? Im curious if I should circumsize mine to put a XLR on.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #677 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what styles of music do you listen to mostly with the bagels?

pretty much everything i throw at it; it's a very well rounded headphone. i listen mostly to rock from progressive to acoustic. it also handles jazz very well and vocals. i'm not into classical, but my dad is a big fan and he approves. i find that even poor recordings and mp3's sound good with the bagels too.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #679 of 1,528
That combo of portable still really has my interests. Might have to snag a pico after Im done casing up my DIY stuff.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #680 of 1,528
I'm lurking and loving the discussion/comparisons to the RS1 etc....just wanted to let y'all(with a Boston accent) know...."somebodies watchin' you"....during my wait....pace....pivot...pace...lurk...begin Sequence again.

Thanks guys!

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #681 of 1,528
I just want to throw out a quick HF-2 comparison with my RS-1, which is about 6 years old. They are both amped by the rig in my signature. I like the rs-1 far more than the hf-2 after about a week. I find the HF-2 too undefined in the low end for me to really love them. The hf-2 bass is uncontrolled and tends to overwhelm some of the music for me, especially acoustic guitar. The rs-1 by comparison has much tighter, punchier, and more tuneful bass than the HF-2. I haven't ruled burn in as a possible solution to this problem, but my HF-2s already have 150 hrs on them, and I don't really believe in burn in to begin with, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

The soundstage and presentation are also different on the HF-2, and they are other reasons that I prefer the RS-1. The hf-2 has a wider soundstage, which is always a good thing, but it comes at the expense of the "on top of the music" presentation of the RS-1. This is an issue of personal taste and not "better" or "worse", but the differences between the two are very apperant.

Last, the HF-2 does have better tone overall than the rs-1, in that instruments tend to sound more like what they are supposed to sound like. That said, comparitively, the HF-2 drops the tone ball in one area of great importance for me: vocals. Voices on the HF-2 simply don't sound as convincing as those through the RS-1, and that bothers me a lot when listening.

Final thoughts: I like the HF-2 a lot, but it is no RS-1 in my book. It is a great value and I am happy to have it. It isn't going anywhere and it is pretty much what I expected when I ordered.

They are good headphones, to be sure, and I enjoy them a lot, but they are just not of the same caliber as the rs-1 for me.

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #682 of 1,528
I think I will audition a RS1 again this week and maybe see if I should get my first unHF grado. Before the PS1000. The idea of more texture and stuff really makes me curious to what his original top tier phone sounds like compared to the HF-2. I hear alot of its a matter of taste. Which likens the HF2 to 325 in comparison to RS1. So now its a matter of which is a better companion to HF2, RS1i or RS1?

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #684 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn them in first

As I stated, they have been running almost 24 hrs a day for over a week, and they haven't changed one bit to my ears. I don't beleive in burn in and I seriously doubt that I will see change after 170 hours when none has occured before.

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #685 of 1,528
for the people who find the bass overwhelming and uncontrolled, i highly recommend the bagels, they solve the problem for me and have increased every aspect of the sound. otherwise, for the people who enjoy the sound with bowls/flats, just stick with it. maybe there are 2 versions of HF2's out there, who knows?
rolleyes.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #686 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the people who find the bass overwhelming and uncontrolled, i highly recommend the bagels, they solve the problem for me and have increased every aspect of the sound. otherwise, for the people who enjoy the sound with bowls/flats, just stick with it. maybe there are 2 versions of HF2's out there, who knows?
rolleyes.gif

Two versions of the same headphone? Grado hasn't ever done that have they? :^)

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #687 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two versions of the same headphone? Grado hasn't ever done that have they? :^)

Nope. Never two verisons. Six maybe.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #688 of 1,528
well...there's the classic Head-Fi version, then there's the blurry cup version, and the F1 series. Then there's the version with a few knicks and glue spills. And finally, there's the bassy version.
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #689 of 1,528
There is the Head-Fi that LES called blurry to start that, and the HF1 version, please dont get newcomers to think all that nonsense and continue it for eternity.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #690 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try it with the salad/jumbo/bagel pads. the bowls/flats never really impressed me. with them on they sound like maybe a bit better than the SR325i. however, with salad bowls, i constantly get the wow factor whenever i put them on. the immense, full, and detailed sound from the salad bowls are quite astonishing.

after hearing the HF2 with salad bowls, i was seriously considering selling my RS1i for a GS1000, but i changed my mind today after going back to the RS1i. there's just something about the RS1's rich tone that just makes them special. and even though i have never heard the GS1000, i am pretty certain that the HF2 with salad bowls at least comes close (to the PS1000).

I think I will give it a shot. I remember bagels being quite a bit more comfortable than the regular bowls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back