The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Aug 15, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #662 of 1,528
The Grado Jumbo Bowl Pads that I had ordered from TTVJ were waiting for me when I arrived home from work tonight. I rolled a "vintage" 1999 Sovtek 12AX7 into my Mapletree Ear+ HD amp, installed the Jumbo Bowl Pads on the HF-2 and proceeded to listen. It took about 10 minutes or so for my ears and brain to adjust to the presentation of sound, but then, I was loving this new perspective on my recorded music. Especially acoustic instruments and human voice sound SO present and live. Vini Reilly never sounded so compellingly reassuring and calming. And, expansive, celestial psychedelia (The Verve's, A Storm in Heaven) - I thought I was at an outdoor, live Summer night concert listening to them. Massive Trance (Paul Oakenfold, Bunkka, Ready Steady Go) was really massive in size and weight, just pummeling me in the most deliciously crashing, pounding wave-upon-wave of Trance - and Starry Eyed Surprise from that same album was just a light, playful (and very live-sounding) delight. I didn't have a chance yet to put on some of my better recorded (Leonard Bernstein, NY Philharmonic) classical orchestral yet, but I expect that I've got quite a treat in store for me later when I do.

I still LOVE the TTVJ Flats with the HF-2, and now I've got another presentation of the sound available to me from the HF-2 with the Jumbo Bowl pads. For $50 with shipping, it's well worth the price of admission to all of the very live-sounding performances awaiting me with the Mapletree Ear+ HD and the HF-2.

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #663 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado Jumbo Bowl Pads that I had ordered from TTVJ were waiting for me when I arrived home from work tonight. I rolled a "vintage" 1999 Sovtek 12AX7 into my Mapletree Ear+ HD amp, installed the Jumbo Bowl Pads on the HF-2 and proceeded to listen. It took about 10 minutes or so for my ears and brain to adjust to the presentation of sound, but then, I was loving this new perspective on my recorded music. Especially acoustic instruments and human voice sound SO present and live. Vini Reilly never sounded so compellingly reassuring and calming. And, expansive, celestial psychedelia (The Verve's, A Storm in Heaven) - I thought I was at an outdoor, live Summer night concert listening to them. Massive Trance (Paul Oakenfold, Bunkka, Ready Steady Go) was really massive in size and weight, just pummeling me in the most deliciously crashing, pounding wave-upon-wave of Trance - and Starry Eyed Surprise from that same album was just a light, playful (and very live-sounding) delight. I didn't have a chance yet to put on some of my better recorded (Leonard Bernstein, NY Philharmonic) classical orchestral yet, but I expect that I've got quite a treat in store for me later when I do.

I still LOVE the TTVJ Flats with the HF-2, and now I've got another presentation of the sound available to me from the HF-2 with the Jumbo Bowl pads. For $50 with shipping, it's well worth the price of admission to all of the very live-sounding performances awaiting me with the Mapletree Ear+ HD and the HF-2.

that's a good way to put it. it does make it sound live doesn't it? i'm with you with the acoustic, it puts a whole new perspective to the sound. still intimate but so vast and wide, it's just perfect.

i actually went back to the Sylvania GB's, i prefer its more refined sound. i also have the HiFi fuse in right now and for some reason the synergy is all still there. very sweet.
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #665 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given their price points, I'd be interested in seeing some more comparative reviews between the HF2's and the RS2's/RS2i's.

x2. Mentioned this a few pages back.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #669 of 1,528
Same Here. I have a pair of distancers and jumbos that I had from my MS-1000, not to mention a JMoney Ver. 3 "Fatty" Grado Headband. Just waiting for my HF-2 to ship so i can truly have the "Baby PS-1000" I'm surprised people aren't really stressing the soundstage aspects of the pads, that was my initial impressions when I tried the pads on the MS-1...at least a soundstage that synergized with the headphones (the pads don't work well on a MS-2i, bass becomes distant, treble becomes shrill and unbearable)

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #670 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same Here. I have a pair of distancers and jumbos that I had from my MS-1000, not to mention a JMoney Ver. 3 "Fatty" Grado Headband. Just waiting for my HF-2 to ship so i can truly have the "Baby PS-1000" I'm surprised people aren't really stressing the soundstage aspects of the pads, that was my initial impressions when I tried the pads on the MS-1...at least a soundstage that synergized with the headphones (the pads don't work well on a MS-2i, bass becomes distant, treble becomes shrill and unbearable)

the pads are definitely great for the soundstage aspect as well as the comfort. i tried going back to bowls and flats, but i always find myself just liking the jumbos so much more. so they're on for good now and i won't be taking them off.

soundstage is probably the most noticeable aspect when using the jumbos, but the detail, depth, decay, impact, imaging, layering, and bass is also better.
tongue_smile.gif

it will actually be interesting to see what will happen if you add the distancers, but i don't think you really need it. i can see the need for the MS1 but with the HF2's the drivers are already further away from the ear.

edit: i get a strange feeling that they were almost designed to be used with the jumbo bowls, they just sound so right together. it's almost perfect.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #671 of 1,528
I have yet to try different pads, but anyway I love one key point of these headphones. While they are not as comfortable as my Denons or senn's or even AT's. They are great for rock like my HF-1s were but way better.

The main thing I love about these is for example last night, I was listening to a live recording and it transported feelings and excitement from when I was in High School and laying back with my eyes closed I totally lost everything and did a little air guitar and ALOT of drumming in my chair and forgot my fiance was in the room and when I was done listening she laughed at me, but it's all good!

Grado's just have some magic for me for rock especially, and the toe tapping and stuff is awesome. The big bonus on these compared to the HF-1 is the lack of fatigue. After listening that long and with volume like I did last night I would have paid for it in sore ears and a headache with HF-1. The high's were sharp and the HF-2 is just about perfect!

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #672 of 1,528
Alright, #218 has burned in for 200+ hour, time to chime in with my impression. As others stated previously, they improve with burn in. The highs were harsh and the low end a muddy mess when I initially listened to them. Now, the high end has been tamed to a manageable level. While the low end is more disciplined. Detail are less prominent compared to other phones I listen to, such as the K701 and hd650. It's detail level is comparable to the dt990s. They retain the Grado in-your-face sound, without the sizzling treble, which turned me off from most Grados. Obviously the sound stage is lacking compared to the spacious k701 and hd650. They also do not extend as low or high as the k701. Lastly, the comfort on these headphones is dismal. I can't wear them for more than an hour at a time without discomfort to my ears. The foam material feels like 500 grit sand paper.

So if the k701 and hd650 have more detail, better extension, sound stage, and comfort, why am I keep the HF2? They are more musical and engaging. Just because the numbers push the other headphones ahead, it doesn't equate to enjoyment. And the HF2 are high on the enjoyment factor.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #673 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if the k701 and hd650 have more detail, better extension, sound stage, and comfort, why am I keep the HF2?

try it with the salad/jumbo/bagel pads. the bowls/flats never really impressed me. with them on they sound like maybe a bit better than the SR325i. however, with salad bowls, i constantly get the wow factor whenever i put them on. the immense, full, and detailed sound from the salad bowls are quite astonishing.

i still consider the RS1 a legendary headphone along with the HD650 and K701, but i put the HF2 in a class above them just because it can do all the things that they do and still make it fun with the energy of a Grado headphone.

after hearing the HF2 with salad bowls, i was seriously considering selling my RS1i for a GS1000, but i changed my mind today after going back to the RS1i. there's just something about the RS1's rich tone that just makes them special. and even though i have never heard the GS1000, i am pretty certain that the HF2 with salad bowls at least comes close (to the PS1000).

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #674 of 1,528
I have a hard time thinking that the treble would be anything less than harsh. It is right on the edge for me with bowls already, but manages to just stay tame enough to be smooth, and almost never hurt.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #675 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a hard time thinking that the treble would be anything less than harsh. It is right on the edge for me with bowls already, but manages to just stay tame enough to be smooth, and almost never hurt.

it's actually not that bad. nothing that a little crossfeed and a tube amp can't fix.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back