The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Aug 10, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #616 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone thinking of getting a portable for their HF2. I listened to them with Headamp's new slim at a recent meet, and I thought the pairing was fantastic, it improved everything I like about them, and seemed to balanced them out in a really nice way. I was really impressed, and wish I could afford a portable amp right now.

I don't have mine yet, and I'm kinda slow between the ears, but aren't they a bit open for portable? I still remember that pic (somewhere on here) of a guy with GS1000s on the subway in Japan . . . but I guess you could be portable somewhere quiet?

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #617 of 1,528
or portable around the house, or just free to move to the couch. A desktop amp means I have to sit at my computer and listen, which isn't always what I want to do. My monitor is too big, and it hypnotizes me into a digital haze

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #618 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get your HF-1 woodied and recabled with a set of flat pads and don't look back. (just don't headphile them). Or, sit back and wait for some HF-2 to show up in the FS forum, since a few pair have already been turned loose there.

I've been asked to clarify my statment above:

(1) The Headphile BlackMax cable on my old HHF-1 wasn't as transparent as the APS V3 or ALO Jenna Labs re-cabled HF-1 that I have owned or heard in a side-by-side comparison. I have actually listened to the three different recabled HF-1 but never heard one with a stock cable. Go Figure.

(2) The Headphile wood cups installation is not reversible, so you cannot restore them back to stock. When I bought headcoverage woodies they could be easily removed if desired.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #619 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I've been noticing with these cans is that they seem to sound laid back, without sounding warm at all, or at least not to my ears. Very strange, as those usually go hand in hand in my experience.

hmm..i think i finally know what you mean now. i'm listening to them now and it seems to sound clearer than before. they sound like a laid-back 325i having that same clarity and detail, but with a slight hint of warmness. very unique.
regular_smile .gif

i think it has reached it's final stage. sound has opened up considerably, very clear. in fact, the soundstage is just as good if not slightly better than the 325i. bass is real deep and well defined. it is defintiely more refined than the 325i and close to the RS1 but different. it sounds closer and reminds me much more of the 325i, but has that hint of tonal richness/timbre and refinement of the RS1. the sound is detailed yet elegant (not in your face).

the HF2 is a fine, fine headphone and i now consider it among one of my favorite Grado's.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #620 of 1,528
I totally agree with SemiAudioPhile, JG thanks for this unique and wonderful Grado specimen.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #621 of 1,528
my salad bowls came today. they were bit difficult to put on, had to stretch them a little. however, once i had them on, i found that the sound changed dramatically. it's still an HF2, but the it sounds much more spacious. there is certainly more depth, i feel like i'm farther back on row M instead of near the stage. with them on, the HF2 also sounds more refined and reminds me closer to the RS1 except with a different signature. the highs are still crisp however and the mids are super creamy, excellent with vocals. the only downside, when listening with the salad bowls, is that theres a bit too much treble. the highs can sizzle and get quite annoying with a "ssS". other than that, it's excellent and maybe it's a taste of what the real PS1000 sounds like. i definitely prefer it to regular bowls i think, it's more comfortable that's for sure.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #622 of 1,528
Dumb question, salad bowls are the hd414's? I took my bowls off and put the pads on after about a day. I haven't had any comfort issues. I like the more upfront sound. Though I was hoping it would help bring out a bit more detail and it didn't.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #623 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dumb question, salad bowls are the hd414's? I took my bowls off and put the pads on after about a day. I haven't had any comfort issues. I like the more upfront sound. Though I was hoping it would help bring out a bit more detail and it didn't.

Salad Bowls = Donuts = GS1000/PS1000 bowls

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #625 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrm, Honestly, I'm a complete newb and I ran mine initially off my Sansa and directly off my PC but this is the exact same first impression I got. Has yours opened up or gotten better at all? What dac/amp did you run them through? Your last comment is somewhat revealing of what I do honestly believe is a sheep effect on this forum. Not to be a troll.

You'll notice huge differences in just a few hours, like 4-8. By 24 hours run time, it will be a different animal.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #626 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should be shipping again now, my card has been charged
regular_smile .gif

I know this is really off topic. I apologize to the OP in advance.

In anycase, can you share when you ordered and if possible your order number. i order Jun 12th if not mistaken and I am crazily waiting. Lol! =)

One things for sure if my RS1 is still here when it arrives. I would do a comparison between the RS1 and HF2. I am also interested in comparing it w/ a PS1 and PS1000 from my friends. I already asked them in advance for the loan.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #627 of 1,528
strange...but the more i listen to the HF2's with the jumbo bowls, the more i'm reminded of the HD650. it seems to have the same wonderful qualities that the HD650 does (but less dark); spacious soundstage, incredible depth, smooth mids. but with a Grado signature sound. when using the jumbo bowls, i noticed that the treble isn't so bad if you turn the volume a notch down. it actually sounds better at lower volume levels having that same great energy. the jumbo bowls seems to let me hear everything with much better detail than before and enhances the HF2's best qualities (that crisp sound, tonal richness, and awesome bass definition). separation of instruments and imaging is much better. when listening to rock, however, the guitars sound more distant and less in your face. it still rocks but just not as hard as using regular bowls. i think jumbo bowls would be better with classical music since that's what they say about the GS1000 too.

one thing is for sure though..the salad bowls make them much more enjoyable. i can't seem to get enough and get them off my head.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #628 of 1,528
piqued my interest for the salad bowls, hows the comfort compared to the bowls and flats? I kid you not, I got blisters on my head with bowls.. But the sound is addictive, tried my other phones (senns 580/akg501/yamaha yh1) and went right back hf2.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #629 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
piqued my interest for the salad bowls, hows the comfort compared to the bowls and flats?

salad bowls > bowls > flats

depending on the type of bowls you use. i had soft washed bowls on mine so they were more comfortable to me than flats. flats actually still hurt my ears. but if you're using the stock new bowls, i would say the comfort is the same as flats.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #630 of 1,528
We need to divest ourselves from the use of "salad bowls" in this context, friends. The largest "jumbo" Grado pads are colloquially known as "Bagels". "Salad Bowls" are the slang term for the prototype GS1000, which had salad-bowl-esque cups (and "bagel" pads).

This message brought to you by the Society for Rectitude in Grado Terminology (SR-GT).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back