The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Feb 20, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #661 of 3,960
I just ordered a set of the Superfreqs. This is my first experience with a custom IEMs. How much difference does a professional impression make. Will I notice a difference from the home impressions that they send me? Thanks!

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #662 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Netminder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a set of the Superfreqs. This is my first experience with a custom IEMs. How much difference does a professional impression make. Will I notice a difference from the home impressions that they send me? Thanks!

home impressions are just a little different than professional impressions. instead of having them deeper in the canal, it would be pretty shallow, so that means that the sound wont be as "in your head" as professional ones.

also, it might be a little less "professional looking" or the fit wont be as perfect.

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #663 of 3,960
Quote:

I would reccomend against doing home impressions, as a lot of times the customs require refits even when a professional audiologist does it.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #664 of 3,960
Quote:

I went to an audiologist. I wanted mine to fit deeper in the ear though. After having them do the impressions, I don't know that I trust the home kit to produce the same results. The audiologist will inject the silicon starting deep in your ear then work her way out. With the kit, you start on the outside of the ear and push the silicon in. To me, that seems inherently less reliable.

Use the instructions from UE for open mouth with bite block. If you stick your little finger in your ear and move your jaw, you'll notice that your ear canal changes shape. At least mine does :p

It's the smallest with your jaw closed, so that's why you want your mouth partially open. Also mine are slightly different between right and left. I think this is because she asked me questions in between ears, so my right ear canal closed down a little on the still soft silicon. Use the bite block so your jaw does not move.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #665 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would reccomend against doing home impressions, as a lot of times the customs require refits even when a professional audiologist does it.

+1

I would get a professional impression done. I had a professional impression done on mine and required a refit on my left ear.

Like Hayduke said, follow the UE impression instructions. It makes a world of difference.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #666 of 3,960
When I had owned the E500 (SE530), I made impressions for a custom tip. The company that made the tips sent me back the impressions I had made.

In September, I decided to go full custom with a UE11, and went to an audiologist to have professional impressions made. When I got back home and examined both the professional impressions and my own, I thought my own were better, so I swapped them out of the box and sent UE my own impressions.

Long story short, the UE11's fit perfectly on the first try. YMMV.

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #667 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Freq_All.jpg

Pics of my SuperFREQ

Does the angle of the cable for your freqs bother you? They look very diagonal.

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #668 of 3,960
I'm getting a little pissed off, I sent them another email and they haven't responded. I'm tempted to, but maybe they're having problems. I ordered a second pair and they haven't sent the impression kit yet. :\
EDIT: I just got the email, they're shipping. Will post pics soon.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #669 of 3,960
Well I have had them for a day and been listening to them as much as I can (I would guess abour 6 hours total) so I guess I will say a few things about them now

First a responce to AudioNoob:
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those werent done from professional impressions were they?

Yes they were made with professional impressions - The Red (right) one looks a little strange becuase my ear isnt shaped normally (I have an extra fold in the cartalidge - the audiologist asked if I had ear surgery at some point) both of them are very comfortable and fit snugly and the odd shape of my ear makes the right one very easy to put in and remove - unlike universial IEMs I have already fallen asleep with them in - something I have only done before with my eggos

OK - enough about my ears

To start with this is my first pair of higher end headphones and I'm not really great with the terminology so please forgive if I use some terms a little incorrectly.

I love the clarity. Little bits of music that were lost before that I can now hear. One thing I have noticed is that I can hear the breathing of whomever is singing in between line on several songs that I couldnt hear before.

I have been mainly listening to alot of Classic Rock - The Beatles, The Who, Yes, Jethro Tull, Queen - with a smattering of stuff that I started listening to in the late 80s - Adrian Belew/The Bears, The Police, The Traveling Wilburys, Def Leppard, Genesis - and a few tracks really stood out:

The Who - Baba O'Riley
Yes - Tempus Fugit
The Police - Bring On The Night

With all 3 of these tracks you have simular Bass (Sting, Chris Squire, and John Entwistle all are known for plucking their bass strings) with high vocals or synth above

Queen - '39
Jethro Tull - Life Is A Long Song
Traveling Wilburys - Cool Dry Place

3 songs with a nice full sound - lots of acustic guitars and simple vocals

Pete Townshend - Football Fugue
The Bears - On (remake of the King Crimson song)
Adrian Belew - The Rail Song
The Beatles - Elenor Rigby

These are just songs that I have always liked and thought they sounded even better.

One other song I want to point out is Trey Anastasio - Air Said to Me, upon listening to this one I noticed more of the filtering that was used on his voice - I thought it sounded more artificial then it had with cheaper phones and to be honest, I think the FreQs might have ruined this song for me

I will post a few more pics later - need to hunt down a few batterys for the camera - I was stupid and left it on

Icarusflu

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #670 of 3,960
Quote:

Got my impressions done at Jaben in Singapore abt 2 months ago and got the SuperFREQs two weeks ago. Jaben was also where I got my Livewires so the moulds were pretty much spot on.

It's currently my favourite IEM in terms of comfort.

SQ is a close second behind the triple.fi 10pro IMHO.

The tf10ps are very detailed and balanced across the entire range.

The SuperFREQs has got good bass but the trebles are a bit overwhelmed by the more forward midrange.

The ER4P has got a more balanced sound signature and better midrange and highs than the SuperFREQs but the bass is underwhelming

IMHO, SuperFREQ SQ is better than the Livewires. Bass is more pronounced on the SuperFREQ. Just wish the midrange wasn't so pronounced. Livewires feels better constructed and the braided cables really minimize microphonics but my SuperFREQs have outlasted my Livewires (built during last XMas rush so maybe the QC wasn't as thorough). Will want to get it back for a more thorough shoot out with the SuperFREQs. Right now, it's just based on memory.

ps is it confirmed that FREQ will replace the cable with a braided type? That would really minimize the microphonics on the SuperFREQ. Right now, it has abt as much microphonics as my ER4P. Hope they follow through with the braided cable upgrade.

This is an interesting observation. It seems like the SuperFreQ should sound pretty different from the Triple.fi 10 Pro despite being second in sound quality. I feel like I've read here that the UE Triple.fi 10 Pro has a laid back midrange, and the SuperFreQ has a forward midrange?

I guess it all depends on the listener. I still want to give the UE Triple.fi 10 Pro a listen someday, even if they often cause comfort or fit problems. It sounds more and more like what I want from an IEM.

Would you say that the LiveWires are still more balanced than the SuperFreQ (because of the aggressive midrange of the SuperFreQ) or is that not the case?

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #671 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the angle of the cable for your freqs bother you? They look very diagonal.

No it doesnt. I just use the sliding "lock" to keep the slack small and the cables run to the front.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #672 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an interesting observation. It seems like the SuperFreQ should sound pretty different from the Triple.fi 10 Pro despite being second in sound quality. I feel like I've read here that the UE Triple.fi 10 Pro has a laid back midrange, and the SuperFreQ has a forward midrange?

I guess it all depends on the listener. I still want to give the UE Triple.fi 10 Pro a listen someday, even if they often cause comfort or fit problems. It sounds more and more like what I want from an IEM.

Would you say that the LiveWires are still more balanced than the SuperFreQ (because of the aggressive midrange of the SuperFreQ) or is that not the case?

It depends on the type of music. Vocals esp female vocals work very well with the FREQs. Really enjoyed listening to Enya's May It Be from Fellowship of the Ring.

Triple-fis IMHO has a very different signature. which sounds best to me. ymmv

Am getting custom tips for the tf10p soon. Hope that will make me satisfied enough not to for ue11 or ue10 customs
smily_headphones1.gif
my wallet can't take it

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #673 of 3,960
Quote:

It depends on the type of music. Vocals esp female vocals work very well with the FREQs. Really enjoyed listening to Enya's May It Be from Fellowship of the Ring.

Triple-fis IMHO has a very different signature. which sounds best to me. ymmv

Am getting custom tips for the tf10p soon. Hope that will make me satisfied enough not to for ue11 or ue10 customs
smily_headphones1.gif
my wallet can't take it

It sounds like that might be close to the sound signature that I'm experiencing from the Klipsch Custom-3. The midrange is pretty forward, and vocals are superb.

Where are you getting the custom tips from? I have this funny feeling that it's going to look quite bulky for a pair of earphones considering how big the actual body of the Triple.fi 10 Pro is already.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #674 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you getting the custom tips from? I have this funny feeling that it's going to look quite bulky for a pair of earphones considering how big the actual body of the Triple.fi 10 Pro is already.
biggrin.gif

It will definitely protrude out even more. But I hope the tf10ps don't get dislodged as easily as they do now.

I did a search on these forums and found some pics for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back