The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Feb 16, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #631 of 3,960
I talked witht hem about that, they want recognition so they will put it, they are buying an engraver now so I think it will be engraved in the future, by draw of luck, I didnt have a freq logo on the outside
biggrin.gif
. once again I'd be glad if you could put down my name for future purchases in the where did you learn section if everyone's fine with that, they'll refund some if you can get enough people and that would help and shouldnt be that unreasonable as one of the first to take the bite.

Oh and about sensitivity, I honestly believe they will improve greatly with resistors (attenuator) but can't try as I dont have one at hand.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #632 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsplash75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these things sound amazing...

at first, i was taken back by their lack of bloated bass. this is NOT to be confused with a lack of bass. they hit sharply and accurately. this is just comparing it to the last thing i was listening to which was the intentionally bass happy audio system in my car.

(more to come..)

I wouldn't use an attentuator. It messes up the sound. The background hiss is normal with the FreQs. If you use a SS portable amp, you shouldn't notice it too much.

I'm glad you enjoy the sound.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #634 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I talked witht hem about that, they want recognition so they will put it, they are buying an engraver now so I think it will be engraved in the future, by draw of luck, I didnt have a freq logo on the outside
biggrin.gif
. once again I'd be glad if you could put down my name for future purchases in the where did you learn section if everyone's fine with that, they'll refund some if you can get enough people and that would help and shouldnt be that unreasonable as one of the first to take the bite.

Oh and about sensitivity, I honestly believe they will improve greatly with resistors (attenuator) but can't try as I dont have one at hand.

Audionoob, your freqs look like the lacked the layer of acrylic on the outside of the faceplate...I don't know if they meant to do that, were trying it out, or forgot...but it seems like they went back to putting the layer of acrylic on the faceplate along with the logo,

And sure we can put you down for the referrals, but there are many other freq owners here who offered first impressions and opinons...we really didn't go on your word alone, but on the word of the head-fi community. Wouldn't be very fair now right? And I think you solicited yourself for the referrals about 3-4 times now? Not to be harsh but I think those interested got the point...
redface.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #635 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audionoob, your freqs look like the lacked the layer of acrylic on the outside of the faceplate...I don't know if they meant to do that, were trying it out, or forgot...but it seems like they went back to putting the layer of acrylic on the faceplate along with the logo,

And sure we can put you down for the referrals, but there are many other freq owners here who offered first impressions and opinons...we really didn't go on your word alone, but on the word of the head-fi community. Wouldn't be very fair now right? And I think you solicited yourself for the referrals about 3-4 times now? Not to be harsh but I think those interested got the point...
redface.gif

+1 to the referrals. esp considering the 1st "impressions / reviews" were from powertool and he didnt ask for much... we should just call up FreQ and ask if they could give us Head-Fi some sorta discount or w/e.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #636 of 3,960
oh, you can refer to powertool if he wants referrals, didnt think he was doing them, sorry to have asked, I'm just a student so small bits help, jst repeated as nobody said anything about it, wasnt sure if anyone heard, Sorry about that.

About the outer lacquer, I like mine better, what do you think?

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #637 of 3,960
oh wow..

i've been listening to many tracks i'm very familiar with and i've been consistently impressed with the instrument separation and accuracy. there is NO muddiness.

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #638 of 3,960
Quote:

oh wow..

i've been listening to many tracks i'm very familiar with and i've been consistently impressed with the instrument separation and accuracy. there is NO muddiness.

Ya, I know
smily_headphones1.gif
The FreQs sound is very "fresh" and "exciting" hehe. For an IEM, it has great sound! I don't know anyone who would be disappointed - other than achristilaw
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #639 of 3,960
i want a set so bad for me and my girlfriend but i want to wait until they have the music maker line with the removable cables and the new crossover. i am more intrested in the new upgraded cables they plan to use.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #640 of 3,960
Quote:

ok. first impressions.. crappy packaging.. i got them in a lil pouch in a crappy box in a cruddy DHL bag that was beat up.

the SuperFreQs are ultra-pretty.. i got clear/clear with black cable. a few imperfections in the acryllic, but nothing that is out of reason when working with this type of material...

something else i noticed.. my 8gb Apple iPod touch has a background hiss when on w/ the SuperFreQs.. i've never witnessed it in ANY of the other headphones or IEMs that i own or have tried before. it must have to do with the high sensitivity.

anyhoo.. back shortly with more on them and some pics.

Quote:

these things sound amazing...

at first, i was taken back by their lack of bloated bass. this is NOT to be confused with a lack of bass. they hit sharply and accurately. this is just comparing it to the last thing i was listening to which was the intentionally bass happy audio system in my car.

(more to come..)

You're right the packing is lacking, but I think they even mention that in the letter that comes with them.

I don't notice any hiss with my 5g iPod. I listen to mostly FLACs, could that be it? I also listen via Rockbox and typically the volume is at -30db. I don't recall if that correlates to anything in the Apple iPod OS :p

You're reaction to the bass is exactly the same as mine hehe. My initial impressions had me a little concerned, but then I realized the bass was there and sounds great. I think it is just that the rest of the sound spectrum is so well reproduced, my ears weren't used to it. Plus I'm a bit of a bass head so I typically EQed my music to favor bass. In an effort to be as objective as possible with these, I've been listening wihtout any EQ as much as possible. Before I got my FreQs, I was listening to music on my HD580s and in my car (pretty good 6 speaker JBL system). Both of those are a little warm, plus I was bumping the bass up a little. After listening to the FreQs so much without an EQ, I've stopped using the EQ in Foobar with my HD580s and I turned the bass gain in the car back down to 0. It seems like the FreQs have changed how I appreciate music! The best thing about them to my ears is that when there is a lot of bass in the song, it doesn't affect the rest of the spectrum. It's really hard to compare these to HD580s because I love my Senns so much, but I think I would argue they are equal in SQ. Just keep in mind that they are an IEM so they will never sound like a full size reference level headphone. Mostly the soundstage is smaller, but there is still plenty of seperation IMHO.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #641 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right the packing is lacking, but I think they even mention that in the letter that comes with them.

I don't notice any hiss with my 5g iPod. I listen to mostly FLACs, could that be it? I also listen via Rockbox and typically the volume is at -30db. I don't recall if that correlates to anything in the Apple iPod OS :p

i didn't even get a letter with my superfreqs. lol

the hiss is present and even more noticeable when there is no music playing. i've sold my 5.5gen 30gb iPod, so i don't have one to compare with your source. i might have to pull out my old sony nw-hd1 to see how that performs with these.

it has nothing to do with the freqs, but defiinitely an issue with the iPod.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #642 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, the hiss is coming from the iPod itself - nothing to do with the actual song/encoding/MP3/Flacs. The more sensitive the IEM's, the easier it is to hear it. If you can't hear it, then GREAT - don't worry about it
wink.gif

Will

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #643 of 3,960
I'm glad to see some positive reviews of the FreQs are coming in. I love mine! I had to send mine back in to get some material added to the left side to improve the seal while moving around. While they were gone, I went back to my UM2's. Let's just say that I'm very glad to have my FreQs back. I still can't get over how good they sound (even better with my Tomahawk). I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have the FreQ logo on the outside.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #644 of 3,960
i don't mind the logo being on the outside. in fact, after seeing all the pics of other customs.. i'm actually very fond of how mine turned out. they look like ice cubes w/ all their natural imperfections.

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #645 of 3,960
ok.. used my other old mp3 source, the Sony NW-HD1 Network Walkman and the hiss is still present... it's actually MUCH more noticeable on the NW-HD1 than it was on the iPod touch. so much so, that switching back to the iPod touch was a *cough* godsend.

i need another source that's not just pretty to put these SuperFreQs through it's paces. i might just have to buy one. the line we throw around here is.. "Sorry about your wallet!" I think it should be.. "Sorry about ramen noodles you'll be eating for the next 6 months!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back