The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Feb 21, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #676 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an interesting observation. It seems like the SuperFreQ should sound pretty different from the Triple.fi 10 Pro despite being second in sound quality. I feel like I've read here that the UE Triple.fi 10 Pro has a laid back midrange, and the SuperFreQ has a forward midrange?

I guess it all depends on the listener. I still want to give the UE Triple.fi 10 Pro a listen someday, even if they often cause comfort or fit problems. It sounds more and more like what I want from an IEM.

Would you say that the LiveWires are still more balanced than the SuperFreQ (because of the aggressive midrange of the SuperFreQ) or is that not the case?

I did not find the Triple.fi mids laid back, that would be the Super.fi, while the triples had a nicer more forward but not excessively so mids. I still chose the Livewires over the Triple.fi as they sounded as good to me, and fit better.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #677 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Netminder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a set of the Superfreqs. This is my first experience with a custom IEMs. How much difference does a professional impression make. Will I notice a difference from the home impressions that they send me? Thanks!

Get professional impressions. This way, down the line, you won't say "damn, what would it sound like if I got professional impressions" like me
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #678 of 3,960
I have to agree, get the impressions done by a professional. I tried both to see how much of a difference there was. The home kit wouldn't setup for me. In fact they were still soft three days latter. I got mine done for free at Costco, so if you have that option I would say take it and don't look back. But even if I had to pay for the impressions I would in a second.

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #679 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by russya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree, get the impressions done by a professional. I tried both to see how much of a difference there was. The home kit wouldn't setup for me. In fact they were still soft three days latter. I got mine done for free at Costco, so if you have that option I would say take it and don't look back. But even if I had to pay for the impressions I would in a second.

Wow 3 posts and newish, and already into customs huh? Kudos to you!

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #680 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you know, being an audiophiled or head-fied or iem-fied doesnt mean you have to visit sites and forums like these to make you "feel and look" like a professional.

im pretty sure theres a lot of people who goes into customs without checking with forums.

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #681 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you know, being an audiophiled or head-fied or iem-fied doesnt mean you have to visit sites and forums like these to make you "feel and look" like a professional.

im pretty sure theres a lot of people who goes into customs without checking with forums.

I wasn't saying that in a negative way. Did it sound like I did? It was a nice congratulations.
confused.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #682 of 3,960
Quote:

Well, new to here. I have a pretty extensive HiFi background. And as for headphones. I've owned about 40 pair or so, my first serious pair were some HD580's back when they were still new, so yeah I've been at this awhile.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #683 of 3,960
Quote:

I wasn't saying that in a negative way. Did it sound like I did? It was a nice congratulations.
confused.gif

ahaha, my bad, its all good, cause it seems "negative at first" and then theres the "kudos" lol

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #685 of 3,960
I hear the sibilance you're talking about. The reason I (and maybe others) don't complain about it is because it doesn't show up that much in the music I listen to, when I listened to the sample you gave as an example it was clear as day on my FreQ's, but hardly shows itself in my day to day listening.

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #686 of 3,960
Quote:

I hear the sibilance you're talking about. The reason I (and maybe others) don't complain about it is because it doesn't show up that much in the music I listen to, when I listened to the sample you gave as an example it was clear as day on my FreQ's, but hardly shows itself in my day to day listening.

Thank you! For a while, I wasn't sure if it was just me, especially some LW and UE11 people saying they don't hear anything wrong.

I'm going to bet that UE11s have the problem too. If it doesn't, then I'll save up for 5 years to get it, haha. Seriously, once you know how the resonance sounds like, you can hear residues of it every time the sound is in a certain frequency range. I can't enjoy my music if there's any sort of perceived imperfection
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #687 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't like IEMs much because of the ringing resonance thing. Why isn't anyone else annoyed by it? I think maybe there's something wrong with my ears
frown.gif

Quote:

Sorry Powertoold, I still can't hear it. I listened to the files when you posted them a couple weeks ago, but I wasn't feeling well. Maybe my cold did something funky to my head/ears hehe. I think they are still on my iPod, I'll give them another listen today now that I'm feeling a little better.

I'll have to go back and try to find where you described what you were hearing. Do you recall which page that was? This is page 46 on my browser :p

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #688 of 3,960
The best way I would describe it to someone who knows a bit about sound, is that it's the hi frequency equivalent to the over saturation you hear with some subwoofers in peoples homes that have really strong room modes. Where the room resonates at the frequency the sub is playing. Being that these are quite a bit smaller, I'm thinking that perhaps it's the same phenomenon but at a much higher pitch due to the smaller space involved. I could be wrong, but that's my take on the issue

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #690 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you! For a while, I wasn't sure if it was just me, especially some LW and UE11 people saying they don't hear anything wrong.

I'm going to bet that UE11s have the problem too. If it doesn't, then I'll save up for 5 years to get it, haha. Seriously, once you know how the resonance sounds like, you can hear residues of it every time the sound is in a certain frequency range. I can't enjoy my music if there's any sort of perceived imperfection
frown.gif

Probably not fair to "bet" that the UE11s have the same problem too. You can't really know that especially since no one besides russya seems to hear your problem with his own set of freqs. I'll try the file on both my ue5cs when they come in, as well as my livewires. Do you have the mp3 I can download? I do not want to use my laptop out because it sucks haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back