The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Feb 19, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #646 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the hiss is coming from the iPod itself - nothing to do with the actual song/encoding/MP3/Flacs. The more sensitive the IEM's, the easier it is to hear it. If you can't hear it, then GREAT - don't worry about it
wink.gif

Will

I guess I'm lucky. I've got a head cold, so I haven't listened to them for a copuple days. Hopefully I'll forget when I listen again and don't "try" to hear the hiss :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to see some positive reviews of the FreQs are coming in. I love mine! I had to send mine back in to get some material added to the left side to improve the seal while moving around. While they were gone, I went back to my UM2's. Let's just say that I'm very glad to have my FreQs back. I still can't get over how good they sound (even better with my Tomahawk). I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have the FreQ logo on the outside.
biggrin.gif

I've been thinking about having that done to mine. Did you give them any guidance on how much more material? How loose was it? Mine fit pretty well, so it's really borderline wether I want to try and change anything. I can just tell that one side is slightly tighter then the other and I prefer the tighter side.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #647 of 3,960
If you are fine with the sound and fit, I wouldn't recommend sending it back for small alterations. Who knows how long it'll take, and maybe they'll lose it in the mass of orders they're dealing with now, hehe. I think in almost all cases, one of your ears should feel tighter than the other. It feels that way to me too, but after wearing it for 20 minutes, I tend to forget about it, and I think after a month or so of use, both sides should feel equally tight.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #648 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are fine with the sound and fit, I wouldn't recommend sending it back for small alterations. Who knows how long it'll take, and maybe they'll lose it in the mass of orders they're dealing with now, hehe. I think in almost all cases, one of your ears should feel tighter than the other. It feels that way to me too, but after wearing it for 20 minutes, I tend to forget about it, and I think after a month or so of use, both sides should feel equally tight.

And that's why I'm on the fence. I've emailed them about it and voiced my concern about the 30 day fit gaurantee. I've been ill twice in the month I've had them, so I want to wait to make a final judgement on fit just yet. I wanted to just take them to my audiologist for the changes too, but they never ocmmented on that idea. They understandedly want me to send them in to have any issues addressed. Most of the time I don't notice any difference between ears, but if I think about it, I can tell. I also think my ears are "adjusting" to having them in, so I want to let that process move along or complete. In the meantime, I'm enjoying them a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #649 of 3,960
Well I just recivied my SuperFreQs about 15 min ago and I will give a few quick impressions. Sounds wonderful so far - been thinking about what I relly want to listen to so I can show them off - Im listening to my Zune at almost HALF the volume that I was with the stock earbuds - The Left fits perfectly and but the right is a little off I think (not that it is their fault - my right ear is shaped a little funny so it is sticking out a little but still in the ear solidly)
I will post some Pics if/when I figure out how too

Icarusflu

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #650 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been thinking about having that done to mine. Did you give them any guidance on how much more material? How loose was it? Mine fit pretty well, so it's really borderline wether I want to try and change anything. I can just tell that one side is slightly tighter then the other and I prefer the tighter side.

I took pictures of them in my ear and sent them to Todd. I told him that my right side fit perfect and that my left side would loosen up while I was moving around. Todd then made the judge on how much more material to add. He said to me that it is a real fine line between not enough and too much. When I got them back the left side fit amazingly. I also didn't realize how much seal wasn't there before hand. They sounded better to me when I got them back and I guess I'm attributing that to the increased seal in the left ear. Todd said regarding the sound quality "98% of the time is boils down to the fit." I was on the fence like you and I'm glad I took the plunge to send them back for a refit.

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #651 of 3,960
Regarding the hiss. I have hiss out of everything that I plug them into except my RSA Tomahawk. They are dead silent with it. On a side note, they sound absolutely amazing with the Tomahawk. The clarity and detail is superb.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #653 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by KHill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took pictures of them in my ear and sent them to Todd. I told him that my right side fit perfect and that my left side would loosen up while I was moving around. Todd then made the judge on how much more material to add. He said to me that it is a real fine line between not enough and too much. When I got them back the left side fit amazingly. I also didn't realize how much seal wasn't there before hand. They sounded better to me when I got them back and I guess I'm attributing that to the increased seal in the left ear. Todd said regarding the sound quality "98% of the time is boils down to the fit." I was on the fence like you and I'm glad I took the plunge to send them back for a refit.

Dammit you're gonna make me send them back. LOL
I gotta wait till my head feels normal though :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by icarusflu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK - here is a quick pic - i'm no photographer

2278304090_d4936d9a41.jpg

Awesome pic! More! More! hehe

Sometimes I wish I had made my right and left different, but I'm almost to the point where I can identify them without thinking about it.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #654 of 3,960
Quote:

Well I just recivied my SuperFreQs about 15 min ago and I will give a few quick impressions. Sounds wonderful so far - been thinking about what I relly want to listen to so I can show them off - Im listening to my Zune at almost HALF the volume that I was with the stock earbuds - The Left fits perfectly and but the right is a little off I think (not that it is their fault - my right ear is shaped a little funny so it is sticking out a little but still in the ear solidly)
I will post some Pics if/when I figure out how too

Icarusflu

I think female vocal stuff makes the best test material
wink.gif

Try Norah Jones. I also really got into an electonica kick after getting mine. I was listening to a lot of Daft Punk, Madonna (later stuff), Depeche Mode (kinda always in rotation hehe).

Let us know what songs impress you the most please. I like to then listen myself
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, grats on your new FreQs! They are awesome aren't they?

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #655 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dammit you're gonna make me send them back. LOL
I gotta wait till my head feels normal though :p

Awesome pic! More! More! hehe

Sometimes I wish I had made my right and left different, but I'm almost to the point where I can identify them without thinking about it.

cool pic can we see the back?

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #656 of 3,960
Quote:

OK - here is a quick pic - i'm no photographer

2278304090_d4936d9a41.jpg

ha someone finally got the "signature" livewires red/blue except those are more metallic than transparent.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #659 of 3,960
Got my impressions done at Jaben in Singapore abt 2 months ago and got the SuperFREQs two weeks ago. Jaben was also where I got my Livewires so the moulds were pretty much spot on.

It's currently my favourite IEM in terms of comfort.

SQ is a close second behind the triple.fi 10pro IMHO.

The tf10ps are very detailed and balanced across the entire range.

The SuperFREQs has got good bass but the trebles are a bit overwhelmed by the more forward midrange.

The ER4P has got a more balanced sound signature and better midrange and highs than the SuperFREQs but the bass is underwhelming

IMHO, SuperFREQ SQ is better than the Livewires. Bass is more pronounced on the SuperFREQ. Just wish the midrange wasn't so pronounced. Livewires feels better constructed and the braided cables really minimize microphonics but my SuperFREQs have outlasted my Livewires (built during last XMas rush so maybe the QC wasn't as thorough). Will want to get it back for a more thorough shoot out with the SuperFREQs. Right now, it's just based on memory.

ps is it confirmed that FREQ will replace the cable with a braided type? That would really minimize the microphonics on the SuperFREQ. Right now, it has abt as much microphonics as my ER4P. Hope they follow through with the braided cable upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back