The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
May 11, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #1,606 of 3,960
All i know about it is that the Music Lovers crossover does not require an amp. The Music Makers line was designed for musicians to plug into their professional amps and such. I think the Music Makers have a different signiture than the Music Lovers. Also, the music makers has a detachable cable. Thats the main reason im getting them.

May 11, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #1,607 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone explain to me what the diff between music makers and music lovers is? I still haven't gotten an answer and am eager to get a pair of these.

what is the difference between the crossovers? What is crossover anyways?

thanks

Differences:

1) Detachable UE / Westone style cable
2) "Upgraded" / better crossover:
- A crossover is a circuit / wire that is able to direct different ranges of frequencies to different drivers. For a triple driver IEM, the crossover is extremely important. Your sound signature, frequency response, and balance depend on the crossover.
3) Shielded wires inside the IEM (they may be doing this for all of them now)

There aren't many differences, but personally, I think it's worth the extra $110.

If I were to make a recommendation, I would go with the Music Makers - even if you aren't going to use them with an amp.

May 11, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #1,608 of 3,960
powertoold: You seem to be knowledgable. why do you recommendthe Music Makers over the Music Lovers? Are you talking about the crossover or the earphone in general? I could understand if you recommended the Music Maker Line over the Music Lover Line but what about the crossover? Would you recommend the Music Makers IEM with the Music Lovers crossover?

May 11, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #1,609 of 3,960
I ordered the music makers FreqShow with the music lovers crossover, based upon Todd's recommendations after much discussion regarding my planned usage and types of music I listen to. I will also be amping them in most cases.

We will see what happens.

May 11, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #1,610 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the music makers FreqShow with the music lovers crossover, based upon Todd's recommendations after much discussion regarding my planned usage and types of music I listen to. I will also be amping them in most cases.

If you don't care for the detachable cables, that option would be most sensible or better bang for the buck
wink.gif

In fact, I "might" still consider this "upgrade" to my SuperFreQs, depending on how the fit works out when I get them this coming week
biggrin.gif

Will

May 11, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #1,611 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone kindly explain to me how the refit works? Do you have to go the audiologist again?

You don't have to see the audiologist again, but you need to note as much as possible as to where it fits well, where does not ... is there an area that "hurts" ... how is the seal/isolation you are getting ... just tell them "everthing" you can think off as to how they feel in your ear and what is not working - they will take this feedback (along with your IEM's) and make "adjustments" to the plastic/casing of the IEM for a better fit.

That is what I did when I first got custom ear tips for my TF's, and now when I got the SuperFreQs
wink.gif

Will

May 11, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #1,613 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by faiz23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and my girl well she listens to girly crap and she prefers the music makers since it sounds very clean and true like the artist is inside your head singing, where superfreqs over power and is a fun iem but gets to boomy and hurts your head. to each their own.

Hi, I Faiz, I don't mean to sound rude but how can your girlfriend prever the musicmakers over the super.freqs when she only has the super.freqs? Or did she get the Music makers as well? Don't tell me she tried your ones on
tongue.gif

May 11, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #1,614 of 3,960
Quote:

powertoold: You seem to be knowledgable. why do you recommendthe Music Makers over the Music Lovers? Are you talking about the crossover or the earphone in general? I could understand if you recommended the Music Maker Line over the Music Lover Line but what about the crossover? Would you recommend the Music Makers IEM with the Music Lovers crossover?

At this point, I'm just shooting in the dark because I don't have the FreQ Shows, but I personally think the FreQ company has spent a lot of time working on the Music Maker crossover. It should be more neutral and sound better overall since it is made for sound engineers.

The only reason I think they recommend using an amp with the MM crossover is that it is really sensitive. Otherwise, I don't see why / how they would design it to be only good for amps. Germania has said it sounds better with an amp, and in my experience, my SuperFreQs also sound much better with my iBasso D2. It is because there isn't any hiss, and the sound is more refined.

With really sensitive IEMs like the FreQs, the amp makes a big difference. You can clearly hear all the little nice things that an amp does for you.

May 11, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #1,615 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's odd HiFlight. If anything, I would see you with the Music Maker crossover. Personally, I would go with the Music Maker crossover first, and if I don't like it, then I'd get it changed to the Music Lover crossover for a "fee" (not sure how much).

May 11, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #1,616 of 3,960
powertoold: I see the main points of what you are saying. So are you saying that I should get the Music Makers crossover? I guess you are right, I would think that FreQ spent some hard time developing the crossover. I dont have an amp right now and i dont imagine getting one any time soon due to the money it will suck out of me. I will be using them from an iPhone and a 5g ipod video. I have the SE530s, and the 119 db sensitivity doesn't bother me because i listen to loud music; music with a lot of activity unlike classical. Is 124/122 db make THAT much of a difference and create a lotmore hiss?

Does Germania have the Music Maker Crossover by the way? I might talk to her

May 11, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #1,617 of 3,960
Quote:

powertoold: I see the main points of what you are saying. So are you saying that I should get the Music Makers crossover? I guess you are right, I would think that FreQ spent some hard time developing the crossover. I dont have an amp right now and i dont imagine getting one any time soon due to the money it will suck out of me. I will be using them from an iPhone and a 5g ipod video. I have the SE530s, and the 119 db sensitivity doesn't bother me because i listen to loud music; music with a lot of activity unlike classical. Is 124/122 db make THAT much of a difference and create a lotmore hiss?

Does Germania have the Music Maker Crossover by the way? I might talk to her

Yes, Germania got the MM crossover. Also you have to keep in mind that the new FreQ plug won't fit into your iPhone. I think it's too big.

You heard faiz23's impressions of the new crossover. He said it sounds amazing and "OMG didn't know crossover made a difference". Apparently, he's impressed, but he needs to make more detailed impressions for us
biggrin.gif

From his initial words, I assume he is listening to his MM FreQs directly out of the iPod phone out because he doesn't mention an amp, and he is using the EQ. Although, I do know that the EQ affects iPod line out, so he'll have to confirm that.

May 11, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #1,619 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterhk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems faiz23 play with the eq setting, but I would like to know which crossover sounds balance without eq cause faiz23 said that the bass is suppress by the Lover Maker crossover.

faiz23 said the SuperFreQs have too much bass, and I agree (for classical music).

May 11, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #1,620 of 3,960
I just wanted to say some words about custom IEMs and perhaps steer some people the right direction.

Custom IEMs were initially made for stage musicians who didn't want to ruin their hearing. They are convenient because of their great isolation, small size, light weight, good comfort, and ease of insertion and removal. Although they are made to sound as good as possible, I personally don't think they can ever compare to full sized headphones. If you aren't looking the characteristics I mentioned, I would recommend staying with full-sized headphones.

I really enjoy my FreQs because I have roommates, and when I use them, I can't hear anything and can actually study
biggrin.gif
If I didn't have roommates, I would definitely use some other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back