The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Sep 21, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #572 of 787
I used the highest for the DSD files. So far I got 225GB space back.
extra encode processing (optional n = 1-6, 1 = default)
The highest levels (n = 4-6) are extremely slow but can provide significant improvement in special situations (i.e. synthesized sounds).
This option is not applicable to DSD audio and is simply ignored.

I should not have used that option for the type of music i was encoding, no compression benefit, but very slow encode for PCM.
Should have read the documentation first.

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #573 of 787
I have a couple of 352.8 albums in .flac which might be worth doing as well.
There's no point. While wavpack may offer slightly more compression on the highest settings, the difference between flac and wavpack will be tiny, so it's not worth the hassle.

Quick question but what themes are people using? Currently on Fusion Beta but thinking of changing it up a bit
I've been using the Columns UI plugin for years now. It's highly customizable but may take some time setting it up the way you like it.

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #574 of 787
There's no point. While wavpack may offer slightly more compression on the highest settings, the difference between flac and wavpack will be tiny, so it's not worth the hassle.

I've been using the Columns UI plugin for years now. It's highly customizable but may take some time setting it up the way you like it.
On a similar note: I used to use DFF2DSF in windows 7, developed, I think, by DSD master Ted B. Have you ever tried it? I ask because it stopped working, disappeared from my 'send-to' menu. Just wondered if you had any thoughts?

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #575 of 787
I've always used ISO2DSF, a freeware utility which functions as a wrapper for sacd_extract.exe and DFF2DSF, so that it can transfer the tags from the sacd ISO to DSF. DFF doesn't support tagging as far as I know.
ISO2DSF used to be available for download over at computeraudiophile.com but I can't seem to find it anymore. I have attached it to this post. It also contains a manual, but it doesn't contain the context menu installer anymore because I didn't use that. I just drag and drop an ISO onto ISO2DSF.exe and then it works.

Edit: how do attachments even work on this forum nowadays? I can't see my attachment, but when editing this post it says there is. Anyway, shoot me a PM if you would like to have a copy of ISO2DSF.

Attachments

• iso2dsf.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #576 of 787
Just got the gustard x20 pro dac and singer su-1 usb bridge, so am totally new to proper computer audio. I want to try out the higher sample rates to see if I can hear a difference for myself. I have 2 questions:

1. is there a way to stream tidal through foobar
2. if so, is there any way to up-sample this to dsd256/512. currently using no music software at all gets tidal up to PCM 384kHz.
3. if not, is there any other program out there that can do the above, information is very sparse about this, especially as I have no clue what i'm doing :) If anything i typed above is nonsense please feel free to educate me as well!

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #577 of 787
Just got the gustard x20 pro dac and singer su-1 usb bridge, so am totally new to proper computer audio. I want to try out the higher sample rates to see if I can hear a difference for myself. I have 2 questions:

1. is there a way to stream tidal through foobar
2. if so, is there any way to up-sample this to dsd256/512. currently using no music software at all gets tidal up to PCM 384kHz.
3. if not, is there any other program out there that can do the above, information is very sparse about this, especially as I have no clue what i'm doing :) If anything i typed above is nonsense please feel free to educate me as well!

Hi, Tidal has its own Windows app and that is the best way to get the best quality if you have Tidal hifi. But for best results you need an MQA DAC. I don't know about yours but if the gustard supports it, it will show up on the Tidal app as one of the output devices you can select as long as you installed any drivers necessary for the gustard. Select it in your preferences and select master quality in prefs and that is all you should need.

Upsampling does not improve quality.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #578 of 787
Dumb question from an idiot noob:
Can I pipe my FLACs through Foobar, through my hardwired network, to my home theater receiver? I have a Denon AV-4k receiver connected to my router which sees my computer and my computer sees it. The problem is the receiver only sees a small fraction of my music library and I would like to sit at my computer and direct a playlist from that library to play on my big speakers instead of my headphones at my computer. Is this possible? The computer is running Win7 if that matters.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #579 of 787
Can I pipe my FLACs through Foobar, through my hardwired network, to my home theater receiver? I have a Denon AV-4k receiver connected to my router which sees my computer and my computer sees it. The problem is the receiver only sees a small fraction of my music library and I would like to sit at my computer and direct a playlist from that library to play on my big speakers instead of my headphones at my computer. Is this possible? The computer is running Win7 if that matters.

Sounds reasonable. You just have to connect your Denon to your Windows box via USB, optical, whatever you have. Then select that device in Windows sound manager or whatever it's called, and foobar will play through it. I can't remember if you can select output devices directly from foobar but maybe you can.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #580 of 787

I think this component may help you.

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #581 of 787
Sounds reasonable. You just have to connect your Denon to your Windows box via USB, optical, whatever you have. Then select that device in Windows sound manager or whatever it's called, and foobar will play through it. I can't remember if you can select output devices directly from foobar but maybe you can.
File menu>Preferences>Output>choices for output.

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #582 of 787
I want to stream it through the network, NOT a direct connection. Also, the computer does not see the Denon as an audio device, just a generic "device".

I think this component may help you.
Ooooh! This might do it!!! Now I have to wait to go home to try it. :\

File menu>Preferences>Output>choices for output.
Yeah, that's the obvious place to look, but I only see my computer speakers and my Schiit Bifrost.

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #583 of 787
Ok, so I have had Foobar2000 installed for a long time. I have it set to play DSD, ISO, dsf files. Recently it has started going like 4x through the file, plays speed correctly, but scroll goes through a song, keeps playing that song but list it as the 2n, then to the 3rd. After it goes through all the files, it has actually only 1 or 2 songs, then stops. All the files play correctly through other players with no issues, only on Foobar. Any ides or suggestions?

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #584 of 787
Ok, so I have had Foobar2000 installed for a long time. I have it set to play DSD, ISO, dsf files. Recently it has started going like 4x through the file, plays speed correctly, but scroll goes through a song, keeps playing that song but list it as the 2n, then to the 3rd. After it goes through all the files, it has actually only 1 or 2 songs, then stops. All the files play correctly through other players with no issues, only on Foobar. Any ides or suggestions?
Which versions of FB and plugins?

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #585 of 787
Which versions of FB and plugins?
Foobar ver 1.3.17
ASIO support ver 2.1.2
DSD processor ver 1.1.0
DSDIFF ver 1.6
Super Audio cd decoder 1.10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back