The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #556 of 787
The wavpack looks interesting, thanks for suggestion.
For me, I think it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. I'm not great with command-line stuff, trying to remember what exactly to type. But, I need something new to master. Is there a commandline for dummies somewhere? It seems that some people are more comfortable with it.

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #557 of 787
Well, one further tip I can give you, is that you can use the up arrow and the tab key to save a lot of typing time. With the up arrow, you can cycle through commands you typed in previously, and with tab you can autocomplete filenames and commands. Especially tab is very useful when you're compressing music files, which in my case always have long filenames with spaces and capitals in it. Tab will even automatically add the " " around the filename if needed.

Here you can find some basic commands: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/a-beginners-guide-to-the-windows-command-line/
Navigating through folders is something you should learn first and is very easy. Use the cd (change directory) and dir (directory; show contents of a directory) commands for that. Note that you don't need cd for changing the drive letter. Just type D:\ or C:\ and you'll change drive.
Almost all command line programs have help functions built in. Usually you can see them by typing, for example: wavpack.exe --help , or wavpack.exe /? . Then you'll see how a command line program can be used, and which options there are.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #558 of 787
Well, one further tip I can give you, is that you can use the up arrow and the tab key to save a lot of typing time. With the up arrow, you can cycle through commands you typed in previously, and with tab you can autocomplete filenames and commands. Especially tab is very useful when you're compressing music files, which in my case always have long filenames with spaces and capitals in it. Tab will even automatically add the " " around the filename if needed.

Here you can find some basic commands: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/a-beginners-guide-to-the-windows-command-line/
Navigating through folders is something you should learn first and is very easy. Use the cd (change directory) and dir (directory; show contents of a directory) commands for that. Note that you don't need cd for changing the drive letter. Just type D:\ or C:\ and you'll change drive.
Almost all command line programs have help functions built in. Usually you can see them by typing, for example: wavpack.exe --help , or wavpack.exe /? . Then you'll see how a command line program can be used, and which options there are.
Thanks! This is going to be a big help. Thanks for taking the time.

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #559 of 787
Actually, I found a little program called Wavpack front end, which seems to help with a graphic interface with checkboxes. I think I just compressed three DSF files. I'll use it that way for now, although I'll persue some of this commandline operation. It'll give me something new to work on.I guess I'm not sure what I'm doing. I opened a folder with an album of DSF files, in which I copied the WavPack.exe file, using the rightclick open in command prompt. I then typed hh for highest compression, which is (not a proper command).
I'm going to have to study some more. I was foolish enough to think just clicking on the WavPack.exe would start something like a command window. I'm not giving up, but I have to walk away for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #561 of 787
Today I found out that my wavpack DSD files were actually played back as 352kHz PCM files, while I remembered them working fine as DSD earlier (earlier being foobar 1.3.x). As it turns out, something has changed in foobar 1.4 causing this, but it can be easily fixed. You need to go to Preferences > Playback > Decoding, and then drag foo_input_sacd into a higher position than the WavPack encoder. Then WavPack can output DSD again.

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #562 of 787
Today I found out that my wavpack DSD files were actually played back as 352kHz PCM files, while I remembered them working fine as DSD earlier (earlier being foobar 1.3.x). As it turns out, something has changed in foobar 1.4 causing this, but it can be easily fixed. You need to go to Preferences > Playback > Decoding, and then drag foo_input_sacd into a higher position than the WavPack encoder. Then WavPack can output DSD again.
Thanks, I'll check that out. The status bar says DSD(XXX) and the 2.8 or 5.6 bitrate. But,, I'll have a look at what my DAC is seeing to make sure. On the bright side, I've reclaimed about 100GB of drivespace so far, and I'm only into the 'B's of my library.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #564 of 787
Yes my status bar said that too, but I found out that my DAC was saying 352.
Oh damn. I'd better take a look. Just checked. Foo_input)SACD is at the top of the list. Maybe due to my buggering around with swapping 1.1.0 with 1.0.11. With FB1.4, I finally stuck with 1.1.0, even though I get that highspeed tracktiming on the statusbar, resulting in only a few seconds of play. Seems to be resolved by a comp restart. Compression/conversionis going quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 21, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #569 of 787
Original was DSD256 converted to WAV 32bit 352.8 kHz. But maybe DSD compresses better.

BTW this compression was insanely slow, ~ 1,5 hours for 2 albums.
Wow! I was able to compress about 300 files in about a couple of hours from various rates of DSD. Maybe the 352.8 takes longer? I'll have to try it. I started a batch of 401 DSDs about an hour ago, and right now I'm about 18% complete. Getting a Lot of harddrive space back.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #570 of 787
Wow! I was able to compress about 300 files in about a couple of hours from various rates of DSD. Maybe the 352.8 takes longer? I'll have to try it. I started a batch of 401 DSDs about an hour ago, and right now I'm about 18% complete. Getting a Lot of harddrive space back.
I used extra high compression mode with level 6, should have used default values.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back