The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #601 of 787
I have a question about building in hotkeys. Does anyone know if Peter Poloski is open to suggestions?
In VLC player, one can use the numpad keys for volume, but mainly quick movement through a file. While the #4 and #6 keys move back and forth at about 10-second intervals, holding the 0 'Insert' key can move along at a larger rate-I believe a minute.
Since I prefer to use FB for my listening, it would be convenient if that key function could be added.
Thoughts?

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #602 of 787
I have a question about building in hotkeys. Does anyone know if Peter Poloski is open to suggestions?
In VLC player, one can use the numpad keys for volume, but mainly quick movement through a file. While the #4 and #6 keys move back and forth at about 10-second intervals, holding the 0 'Insert' key can move along at a larger rate-I believe a minute.
Since I prefer to use FB for my listening, it would be convenient if that key function could be added.
Thoughts?
I've never known Peter to be open to anything, and there have always been issues with pop-up windows not receiving focus for screen readers, for instance, which I've emailed him about, plus several users have asked him for SMB access in Foobar Mobile without result. Still my favorite program ever, though.
Foobar hasn't really changed in over a decade. But the good news is that keyboard hotkeys are already immensely configurable. Just go to Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts and hit "add." A new entry will appear in the list of shortcuts and will automatically have focus. Tab to the list of functions and find what you want. In the case you mention, it's under "Seeking," and you have several options. Simply cursor down to what you want and then hit Tab (not enter or space). You'll be in the hotkey field. After that, you can hit tab and then back-tab to hear if the key you entered was accepted. Tab a couple more times to check the box whether it's global or only when the Foobar window is active, then tab over to "Apply." You're now ready to add another one. I'm giving screen reader-friendly directions here, obviously.
My own numpad includes the top row for selecting audio output devices, 7 and 9 for seeking back 5 seconds or forward 10 seconds, 4 and 6 for prev/next, 8 and 2 for volume, and I'd have to look at the rest. In fact, the volume keys actually are tied to EventGhost running in the background, which IR blasts volume commands directly to my amp through a USB-UIRT, another decade-old piece of equipment still working fine.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #604 of 787
One hint for all those who have just installed the foo_jesus component: if you want your playlists backed up (and I stringly recommend that), then go to
Preferences->Advanced->Autosave & Autobackup and make sure that your playlists folder name is CORRECTLY listed in the Files and directories to back up section.
This component is several foobar updates behind and the playlists folder name has been changed since, so the default settings won't catch it.
For the current f2k version the playlists folder is playlists-v1.4

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #605 of 787
Thoughts?

So the seekbar doesn't cut it for you? You can click on any point on the track timeline and it takes the playback there.
There are also enhanced versions of the seekbar which display the track's waveform and control the play position through the mouse wheel - check the Waveform minibar (mod) if interested.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #606 of 787
So the seekbar doesn't cut it for you? You can click on any point on the track timeline and it takes the playback there.
There are also enhanced versions of the seekbar which display the track's waveform and control the play position through the mouse wheel - check the Waveform minibar (mod) if interested.
I actually installed the seekbox component. One just has to convert minutes and hours into seconds, which can get tricky after a while. But it works.
It would just be quicker to do it with the NumPad. Attlevision has given me a method of adding shortcut keys, which are extremely useful to blind guys. I like the idea of a quick key for switching outputs.

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #607 of 787
I've never known Peter to be open to anything, and there have always been issues with pop-up windows not receiving focus for screen readers, for instance, which I've emailed him about, plus several users have asked him for SMB access in Foobar Mobile without result. Still my favorite program ever, though.
Foobar hasn't really changed in over a decade. But the good news is that keyboard hotkeys are already immensely configurable. Just go to Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts and hit "add." A new entry will appear in the list of shortcuts and will automatically have focus. Tab to the list of functions and find what you want. In the case you mention, it's under "Seeking," and you have several options. Simply cursor down to what you want and then hit Tab (not enter or space). You'll be in the hotkey field. After that, you can hit tab and then back-tab to hear if the key you entered was accepted. Tab a couple more times to check the box whether it's global or only when the Foobar window is active, then tab over to "Apply." You're now ready to add another one. I'm giving screen reader-friendly directions here, obviously.
My own numpad includes the top row for selecting audio output devices, 7 and 9 for seeking back 5 seconds or forward 10 seconds, 4 and 6 for prev/next, 8 and 2 for volume, and I'd have to look at the rest. In fact, the volume keys actually are tied to EventGhost running in the background, which IR blasts volume commands directly to my amp through a USB-UIRT, another decade-old piece of equipment still working fine.
Thanks. It worked. Fantastic! I ended up using 7 and 9 for soundcard speakers and the Foo_dop to native. 2 and 8 are volume, 4 and 6 are 10-second jumpps and the same with insert are 1-minute. This has been bugging me in the background of my mind for years.
One thing: If I was to have checked the global box, would that overridden keystrokes outside the FB program? I'm not sure what happens.
But thanks for your clear instructions.
Kevin

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #608 of 787
Thanks. It worked. Fantastic! I ended up using 7 and 9 for soundcard speakers and the Foo_dop to native. 2 and 8 are volume, 4 and 6 are 10-second jumpps and the same with insert are 1-minute. This has been bugging me in the background of my mind for years.
One thing: If I was to have checked the global box, would that overridden keystrokes outside the FB program? I'm not sure what happens.
But thanks for your clear instructions.
Kevin
In GENERAL, YES. BUT THE TEST IS WHETHER YOU CAN ENTER THE KEY OR IF ANOTHER BACKGROUND PROGRAM LIKE NVDA INTERCEPTS IT WHILE YOU'RE TRYING TO CREATE IT. i DO GLOBAL ON THE NUMPAD BECAUSE NO OTHER PROGRAM USES IT AND IT ALLOWS playback controls without the window in the foreground. Setting a global key to "album list" is a great way to quickly dive from writing that Head-Fi post to changing what album is playing, for example.
(my Caps lock key was out of control there for a minute...)
Quasi Off Topic: Another plugin I recommend is MonkeyMote, which lets an IPhone act as a remote control and even stream music directly to the phone from the PC's playlist. Easier to navigate the library for Voiceover users than any native IPhone app I've found.
Yea! My 15th post! Now I can start selling my drawer full of gear...

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #609 of 787
In GENERAL, YES. BUT THE TEST IS WHETHER YOU CAN ENTER THE KEY OR IF ANOTHER BACKGROUND PROGRAM LIKE NVDA INTERCEPTS IT WHILE YOU'RE TRYING TO CREATE IT. i DO GLOBAL ON THE NUMPAD BECAUSE NO OTHER PROGRAM USES IT AND IT ALLOWS playback controls without the window in the foreground. Setting a global key to "album list" is a great way to quickly dive from writing that Head-Fi post to changing what album is playing, for example.
(my Caps lock key was out of control there for a minute...)
Quasi Off Topic: Another plugin I recommend is MonkeyMote, which lets an IPhone act as a remote control and even stream music directly to the phone from the PC's playlist. Easier to navigate the library for Voiceover users than any native IPhone app I've found.
Yea! My 15th post! Now I can start selling my drawer full of gear...
Thanks again for all your help.
Kevin

Nov 23, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #610 of 787
Ok so DSD dsf playback is acting weird again. Pop's or ticks on playback, and also periodically it is running fast. It is almost like double speed. Tried 2 different DAC's, not them.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #611 of 787
Ok so DSD dsf playback is acting weird again. Pop's or ticks on playback, and also periodically it is running fast. It is almost like double speed. Tried 2 different DAC's, not them.
Ok so I reinstalled the Super Audio CD decoder and it works fine. Strange

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #612 of 787
Ok so I reinstalled the Super Audio CD decoder and it works fine. Strange

This is why technical people love Windows. Doesn't work? Reboot. Doesn't work after rebooting? Reboot again. Doesn't work after 2 or 3 more reboots? Reinstall.

How do you get Windows to understand when you install something you really meant it? And how do you get Microsloth to stop putting out crap repair tools for Outhouse, Orifice365, etc. Don't put out repair tools. Code things so they don't corrupt data and then you won't *need* repair tools. Why isn't this obvious? :p

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #613 of 787
Several weeks ago I had posted in this and a couple other forums asking for help in playing the digital music collection I have on my computer through my home stereo system. The computer is a Win7 box with foobar 2000 and the heart of my audio system is a Denon AVR-4000 receiver hard-wired to my network. I had asked if there was a way to push the music to the Denon without having to spend any more money and preferably use foobar. All the answers received were not helpful or were pushing me to spend more money on hardware that I don't need. I did find a foobar addon UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point By: bubbleguuum that was quite buggy and locked up my receiver. Then, just yesterday I found UPnP MediaRenderer Output By: Peter. This addon, beside the fact that it is currently being supported, does exactly what I want! I can set up a playlist containing FLACs running the gamut from 16-bit / 44.1 kHz to 24-bit / 192k and they are played seamlessly through the Denon. The tag information isn't displayed correctly on the receiver, but so what. The music is coming through.

This post is closure for me for trying to find an answer to this problem that has been plaguing me for months. Were it not for suggestions from this forum, I would not even know where to begin looking for an answer.

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #614 of 787
Several weeks ago I had posted in this and a couple other forums asking for help in playing the digital music collection I have on my computer through my home stereo system. The computer is a Win7 box with foobar 2000 and the heart of my audio system is a Denon AVR-4000 receiver hard-wired to my network. I had asked if there was a way to push the music to the Denon without having to spend any more money and preferably use foobar. All the answers received were not helpful or were pushing me to spend more money on hardware that I don't need. I did find a foobar addon UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point By: bubbleguuum that was quite buggy and locked up my receiver. Then, just yesterday I found UPnP MediaRenderer Output By: Peter. This addon, beside the fact that it is currently being supported, does exactly what I want! I can set up a playlist containing FLACs running the gamut from 16-bit / 44.1 kHz to 24-bit / 192k and they are played seamlessly through the Denon. The tag information isn't displayed correctly on the receiver, but so what. The music is coming through.

This post is closure for me for trying to find an answer to this problem that has been plaguing me for months. Were it not for suggestions from this forum, I would not even know where to begin looking for an answer.

I think you got some good answers with people trying to help based on what you asked. I said you could run foobar2000 into your Denon via USB or optical. That's about 5 bucks worth of cable, either way, and it is correct. If you're using a dlna server on your windows box it is not pushing anything to your clients (of which the Denon is apparently one). The clients pull it from the server. And there is latency there and various other problems. Cable is the way to go. Network is a compromise when you can't use a cable.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #615 of 787
I think you got some good answers with people trying to help based on what you asked. I said you could run foobar2000 into your Denon via USB or optical. That's about 5 bucks worth of cable, either way, and it is correct. If you're using a dlna server on your windows box it is not pushing anything to your clients (of which the Denon is apparently one). The clients pull it from the server. And there is latency there and various other problems. Cable is the way to go. Network is a compromise when you can't use a cable.
Respectfully, no. Yes, I could run more cable. I could run fiber. I choose not to for multiple reasons which are my own. The problem is what I stated. And yes, the client (Denon) can pull from the foobar server. It could pull directly from my hard drive even without foobar. HOWEVER, it can not access the full 1.3 TB / 38,500 files I currently have on the hard drive. Per an email directly from Denon, it can only access one thousand files and apparently only the first thousand that were stored on the hard drive. Sorry not good enough. I won't get into semantics, but when I can sit at my computer, queue up a foobar playlist, select the foobar output to be UPnP: Denon AVR-X4000, click play, and see the receiver turn on and begin playing the playlist in the order displayed by foobar, even random, I would say the content is being pushed to the receiver.

Maybe we are saying the same thing in different words and I'm too dense to see that. Oh well. The end result is my system is finally doing what I wanted it to do after much trial and error and I thought I would pass on my experiences in case somebody might want to do the same thing and were as stupid as me. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and replying! :slight_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back