The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #5,177 of 17,483

Same place, I bought the complete Rush Studio albums in 24/96 for about $80. Did you have it installed on the internal memory or on your micro-SD card? And are you using firmware version 1.31? Weird.

I got it both stand alone and then as part of the Sector 2 set when they released that one.  I'm not sure which I have loaded on the X3 though! I have it on the Micro SD card.  I'm also at FW 1.3.1.  It is weird.

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #5,178 of 17,483
The player still shows external storage of 255 gb. Did another low level format of the card. Only added one album. Stopped reindexed and have the same error. "Playback failed, file not found."

Files show up fine in windows. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #5,180 of 17,483
Spent several hours trying to get the x3 to read a 64 gb card. I've tried everything suggested in this thread. Even had a few pm suggestions. Tried those also. I'm about at the point of returning the product.

I have deleted the content to less than 30 gigs and reindex the card. Same error. If this player was limited to 32 gb I would have passed and used my clip zip. Very disappointing.

I suggest you contact FiiO support directly. i had a lot of difficulty rectifying my issue until I contacted FiiO support directly. They were able to finally get things sorted out for me. When all else fails, go to the source. Don't give up it's a good product and will be worth the effort I predict in the end.

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #5,182 of 17,483
@ James444,

I don't have X3, but I played your file through Westone ES3X loudly from computer (WinXP->USB->Fiio E17) and from Rockboxed Clip+ (dithering did not change anything). I heard some (not "a lot") background noise from both sources.

Most noise was heard at very beginning and 0:24 (and after), when no music was playing. The noise sounds like flowing water, which resembles what I heard from amps with ground loop and/or too much gain (not saying it is, it just sounds like that). Music masks most of the noise, to the extent that I can still enjoy the music. 

Your recording's sound level is very very low though. And the recording itself seems to have some non-music background sound. Some classicals I heard sound quite a bit louder and cleaner. 

When you said SGS3 produce less noise than X3, did you try to volume match X3 with SGS3?

Sorry, my finding may not directly help you.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #5,183 of 17,483
  Afraid to say, I think there may be some issue with the Fiio X3's mp3 decoder and Lame encoded mp3s. I'm on FW 1.31 and some of my rather quiet classical tracks exhibit a lot of background noise on the X3. In fact more so than on any of my other DAPs, including my SGS3 smartphone. So, if any of you audiophile folks would care to listen to this test track and tell me what they hear, I'd appreciate it very much. I'm wondering if this will sound similarly noisy on everybody else's X3.

Download links: file1 file2 file3 (same file, just different locations)

With revealing IEMs like the ER4S, UERM or FI-BA-SS, this mp3 file exhibits horrible background noise if I crank up the volume a bit. Now, you'd probably think these are mp3 compression artifacts, but the same file plays fine on my other DAPs. Moreover, if I decode the same file to WAV or FLAC, it also plays fine on the X3. So I suspect it may possibly be an mp3 decoder issue on the X3.

Thanks in advance to everyone taking the time to test this on their X3!
smile_phones.gif

lol@ audiophile folks :p

Have you tried a different flac to mp3 converter or just tried converting it again? As far as the noise is it very obvious or something subtle and is it in a certain time frame in the track? I didn't hear anything that would be considered horrible background noise that would prevent me from listening to it.

I tried it with my computer using my O2 which are quite revealing just to get an idea from my computer and then X3 with UERM.

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #5,187 of 17,483
  It doesn't matter. I've tried every cluster size and none of them work. Such is the life of a beta tester of new products. 
frown.gif

With all the trouble you've had with that 64GB card, it's possible the card itself is defective, or that brand/model of card simply isn't supported by the X3's firmware.  The most common high capacity cards are the SanDisk Class 10 Ultras that most of us seem to be using. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #5,188 of 17,483
I have the SanDisk card. It works perfectly in all other instances except with the x3. I would really hate to shell the money for another 64 gb card only to find that it doesn't work either. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #5,189 of 17,483
I have the SanDisk card. It works perfectly in all other instances except with the x3. I would really hate to shell the money for another 64 gb card only to find that it doesn't work either. 

Matt, I heard rumor that some defective Sandisk 64GB cards would work as stock exFAT, but once formatted to fat32, they would no longer work. However, that probably does not apply to your case, if you have checked the fat32 card in other devices.

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #5,190 of 17,483
I remember reading in some smart phone forums about people needing to repartition their SD cards in order to get em to work. I got EaseUS Partiton Master - actually the only thing I could get to even format the card I bought (driver issues). (kingston64gb, btw).
I haven't had any problems with my card at all, so there's gotta be a solution out there somwhere.
Hope you get it figured out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back