The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4,893 of 17,483
Just got mine today, initial impression, sounds GREAT! Listening for a little through my Senn HD650, don't think I've quite heard them until now (and I have used a HiSound Studio, which sounded good, but not as, by memory, and iPod Touch/LOD/Continental Amp. Will have to listen head to head (the geeky thing to do), but my initial reaction to the X3 is LOVE!. Question, probably stupid, the little instruction sheet in the box says to "scratch off the coating to get the 20-bit security code", then to log in to Fiio and use the code to check if genuine, register for warranty, I don't see where on the unit you "scratch", anybody able to help?

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #4,894 of 17,483
  Just got mine today, initial impression, sounds GREAT! Listening for a little through my Senn HD650, don't think I've quite heard them until now (and I have used a HiSound Studio, which sounded good, but not as, by memory, and iPod Touch/LOD/Continental Amp. Will have to listen head to head (the geeky thing to do), but my initial reaction to the X3 is LOVE!. Question, probably stupid, the little instruction sheet in the box says to "scratch off the coating to get the 20-bit security code", then to log in to Fiio and use the code to check if genuine, register for warranty, I don't see where on the unit you "scratch", anybody able to help?

No,no,no you don't scratch on the unit, yikes, you scratch off the label on the box. It's directly under the pink area of the sticker on the box beside the blue dot. The truth is, this early on no one has had time to create a plausible fake or knock off. Just the fact that the scratch and check sticker is there is virtually proof enough, in these early days of the player, to insure that it is authentic. Now down the road.......

That's okay I didn't realize that the player came with a screen saver pre-installed on it and two extra ones in the box. I removed the sticker tabs on the pre-attached screen saver incorrectly and ruined it. luckily i had two more and read the instructions before doing the next one. D'oh.

Yes the sound is very good, especially considering the price, and this is of course the most important thing. Initially i didn't think the gap in performance between the X3 and my previous player, an old Cretive Zen, was all that obvious, but after some break-in and further direct comparison it's really no contest. The X3 has noticeably better dynamics, deeper soundstage, is much smoother and refined sounding, has a much quieter background and none of the little strange hisses and distortions i would sometimes get from the Zen. My main player before using the Zen was a top of the line Sony Hi-MD walkman that also had excellent sound, but going purely from memory i would have to say that the X3 even outperforms it and it cost north of $600 when new in2003, but i would have liked to have been able to do a head to head comparison between the two, but the Sony is long gone. I have no experience with any other purpose built hi-rez capable DAP's, with the exception of a very brief listening session with an Astell and Kern AK100 at the dealer where I purchased my X3. I felt that the AK may have been ever so slightly better sounding than the X3, mostly in resolution, but that may have been just a diffirence and not necessarily an improvement, plus considering the price difference between these two hi-rez DAP's buying the X3 was a no-brainer. Well, to tell you the truth i couldn't really afford the AK100, but still hearing the X3 come so close in sound quality certainly made me feel that much better walking out of the store with it in my pocket.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #4,895 of 17,483

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671656/fiio-x3-review
http://www.headfonia.com/first-impression-fiio-x3-dap/
http://www.inearmatters.net/2013/05/impression-fiio-x3-high-fi-low-price.html
http://bit.ly/1fKbqNq

Somehow I expected the last one 
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #4,896 of 17,483

No,no,no you don't scratch on the unit, yikes, you scratch off the label on the box. It's directly under the pink area of the sticker on the box beside the blue dot. The truth is, this early on no one has had time to create a plausible fake or knock off. Just the fact that the scratch and check sticker is there is virtually proof enough, in these early days of the player, to insure that it is authentic. Now down the road.......

That's okay I didn't realize that the player came with a screen saver pre-installed on it and two extra ones in the box. I removed the sticker tabs on the pre-attached screen saver incorrectly and ruined it. luckily i had two more and read the instructions before doing the next one. D'oh.

Yes the sound is very good, especially considering the price, and this is of course the most important thing. Initially i didn't think the gap in performance between the X3 and my previous player, an old Cretive Zen, was all that obvious, but after some break-in and further direct comparison it's really no contest. The X3 has noticeably better dynamics, deeper soundstage, is much smoother and refined sounding, has a much quieter background and none of the little strange hisses and distortions i would sometimes get from the Zen. My main player before using the Zen was a top of the line Sony Hi-MD walkman that also had excellent sound, but going purely from memory i would have to say that the X3 even outperforms it and it cost north of $600 when new in2003, but i would have liked to have been able to do a head to head comparison between the two, but the Sony is long gone. I have no experience with any other purpose built hi-rez capable DAP's, with the exception of a very brief listening session with an Astell and Kern AK100 at the dealer where I purchased my X3. I felt that the AK may have been ever so slightly better sounding than the X3, mostly in resolution, but that may have been just a diffirence and not necessarily an improvement, plus considering the price difference between these two hi-rez DAP's buying the X3 was a no-brainer. Well, to tell you the truth i couldn't really afford the AK100, but still hearing the X3 come so close in sound quality certainly made me feel that much better walking out of the store with it in my pocket.

Yes I agree about the X3. It certainly does sound better than my ipod touch 5g and cowon j3 however those 2 serve different purposes than the x3. I don't think I will ever buy a dap that approaches 1k or surpasses it in cost. It's just too much for me to buy on a dap considering I don't get that much play time except during the weekend.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4,898 of 17,483
Didn't see any spot on the Fiio to scratch off, but that is how the instructions sounded to me, I'll look at the box. (did the exact same thing with the screen saver, only had 1 extra in the box, now it's on the unit).
Have to download some hi-rez files from HD Tracks

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #4,899 of 17,483
Hi,

Just got mine yesterday. Unfortunately I only had a 2GB microSD card. Thuns I had a little bit of music on it and the new 1.3 FWupdate. Update worked well and the sound of the songs on the card is brilliant.

Then I wanted to transfer some files to the main memory. I have Vista 64. It began with reasonable speed, but after about a minute transfer froze and Windows Explorer crashed, when I tried to cancel.

I thought it would be due to X3s power off function and disabled power off and light off, but that didn't help.

Can someone give me a hint to help? Thanks in advance.

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #4,900 of 17,483
Hi,

Just got mine yesterday. Unfortunately I only had a 2GB microSD card. Thuns I had a little bit of music on it and the new 1.3 FWupdate. Update worked well and the sound of the songs on the card is brilliant.

Then I wanted to transfer some files to the main memory. I have Vista 64. It began with reasonable speed, but after about a minute transfer froze and Windows Explorer crashed, when I tried to cancel.

I thought it would be due to X3s power off function and disabled power off and light off, but that didn't help.

'Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your Wallet'

Restart your computer and turn it back on. Try moving a few songs at a time to see if batch moving is the problem

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #4,901 of 17,483
Hi,

I had the exact same problem with my Mac. In my case it turned out to be the random USB cable I had picked up to connect it with. The supplied USB cable (or pretty much any other cable than the one I first tried) worked perfectly.

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #4,902 of 17,483
  Graeme

Possible to share the tip on how to delete database file... Did the firmware upgrade but still not getting the files in the library, guessing could be corrupted already.... thanks!

cheers

Hi CosmicHolyGhost,
could you (or Graeme) please share with me (via PM) how to reset the library index, as I'm also experiencing the same issue?
Thanks 

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #4,904 of 17,483
Hi CosmicHolyGhost,
could you (or Graeme) please share with me (via PM) how to reset the library index, as I'm also experiencing the same issue?
Thanks 

PM sent.. Sorry for not tidy format cos i used cellphone send.. Hope it helps...

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #4,905 of 17,483
PM sent.. Sorry for not tidy format cos i used cellphone send.. Hope it helps...

Thanks !
Info were pretty clear and my X3 library is now all fine again.

@James:
maybe in the next FW release you can include an option to "Reset Library Index" in the System Settings menu, which does exactly what we are doing now by manually removing the index file from the X3.
By the way, also Rockbox has the same "Initialize DB" feature, which is used to fix the problems with files indexing when a "Library update" run is not enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back