The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #4,487 of 17,484
Hi I have an issue I wonder if any of you can help. I recently loaded some songs to the X3, then realised the tags were wrong and the cover art was not displaying on the player. I edited the tags directly on the files stored in the player using MediaMonkey at work. Later when I switched the player on it showed me the 2 different tags for the same album. Eg.

Les Miserables
Les Miserables Original Soundtrack

Of which only 'Les Miserables' has the actual mp3 files. So when I got home I just deleted everything in my player and tagged everything correctly on my home laptop. I refreshed the media library on the X3 without any files in it. Lo and Behold the 'Les Miserables Original Soundtrack' tag is still there, with no files under it. I transferred my retagged files anyway and the player works. Im just wondering is there any way to properly format everything and reinstall the firmware, or is there a quicker fix to remove this residual tag problem. I am using FW 1.23. Thanks in advance if anyone knows! 

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4,488 of 17,484
Quote:
Im just wondering is there any way to properly format everything and reinstall the firmware, or is there a quicker fix to remove this residual tag problem. I am using FW 1.23. Thanks in advance if anyone knows! 

Try taking the card out.  Then refresh the X3's media library with no card in it.  Then put the card back in and refresh the X3's media library again with the card back in. 

That should work.  If not, try upgrading the FW 1.25. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #4,489 of 17,484
Quote:
I have not used it aggressively 

Very carefully to my knowledge.

I have not knowingly mishandled it but it could have taken a 
knock when in my wife's handbag recently?

Is it likely to be a connector? Screen does light up as photo

If it is a connector could i repair it , myself?

simon, thanks for the suggestions thus far , keep going guys

ask james what the problem could be. Unfortunately I do not see any connector inside the X3. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #4,490 of 17,484
Quote:
ask james what the problem could be. Unfortunately I do not see any connector inside the X3. 

I am corresponding with James . I will let everyone know the outcome

I also took the case off (so they will know I opened it ) to have a quick look , Nothing obvious

Don't you just love the Hold switch when reassembling. ! Tricky little bugg*r

simon

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #4,491 of 17,484
Quote:
I refreshed the media library on the X3 without any files in it. Lo and Behold the 'Les Miserables Original Soundtrack' tag is still there, with no files under it. I transferred my retagged files anyway and the player works. Im just wondering is there any way to properly format everything and reinstall the firmware, or is there a quicker fix to remove this residual tag problem. I am using FW 1.23. Thanks in advance if anyone knows! 

When I did the firmware update to 1.25 I encountered a similar issue.
I had to [Update Lib] the X3 with nothing in it (including the internal memory) a couple of times and that fixed the problem.

When you did the [Update Lib] of the X3 with nothing inside, did the index actually show nothing inside afterwards? (e.g. when you browse for files or in Categories etc), or did it still have all the old tags?

Maybe the best thing to do is to remove the SD card and do System Settings>Restore, then followed by Update Lib again.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #4,492 of 17,484
Thanks for the reply. Its comforting to know Im not the only one with such issues but its also frustrating that it happened to a product that is supposed to be ready for the consumer market. Anyways I do like this little gadget...

When I refreshed it with nothing inside, in the Library (non- browsing mode) the tags are still there, in the file browser there is nothing. I have not put in an SD card ever in the X3 yet. I emailed fiio support and they suggesting formatting the entire thing. I will try your method of refreshing a few times first. If it still doesn't work Im gonna reformat and install FW1.25 in it. Thanks for all the help guys!

P.S Im also experiencing the same thing with the power light. It doesn't automatically change to green unless I unplug and plug it in again haha

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #4,493 of 17,484
someone on our froggy forum pointed out that the database was in sql. I wouldn't just delete the file until fiio tells us it's ok to do so, but edit it to remove files doesn't look like it would compromise the stability of the dap.

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #4,494 of 17,484
Quote:

No, the X3 is dependent upon ID3 tags for gapless playback. In order for gapless to function you must do all of the following: (1) Ensure that your files have ID3 tags. (2) Be sure that the "Gapless" function in the the X3's System menu is switched on. (3) Play your files back using the Category/Album fuction and not the File Browse function. The dependence upon the ID3 tags is most unfortunate, but it is FAR better than having to re-rip everything with a CUE sheet!

I came across this issue for the first time this morning. I was listening to an album form the browse files menu, that I ripped and converted in EAC, Nirvana's MTV Unplugged Live in New York, and there were gaps in the playback where there should have been none. I tried your suggestion of playing back the album form Categories/Album and the gap in playback is still there, but does not appear to be as long as before. I have the gapless playback option set to on in the player set-up menu, so does this mean that my ID3 tags are not there. How do I confirm that my files are tagged properly? All the tracks were listed correctly, and the album artwork is displayed. I had all of the tagging options in EAC engaged, so how could it be that this file is not tagged properly?

Also one other thing when I went into the Categories/Album menu all but one album is listed under unknown album with all of the songs from all my albums listed in one long list. Is this normal? Why would the player arrange things in this manner? Is there a way to correct this?

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #4,495 of 17,484
Quote:
All the tracks were listed correctly, and the album artwork is displayed. I had all of the tagging options in EAC engaged, so how could it be that this file is not tagged properly?  
Also one other thing when I went into the Categories/Album menu all but one album is listed under unknown album with all of the songs from all my albums listed in one long list. Is this normal? Why would the player arrange things in this manner? Is there a way to correct this?

Use a program like Mp3tag to check the tags such as title, artist, album and genre are consistent.

I wonder whether the problem with tagging issues might be due to combination of the X3 reading tag data and possible embedded (or not) cue sheet data for the same song files that are not consistent?

Thoughts anyone?

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #4,497 of 17,484
Hi guys, I know maybe the answer is already in this thread, but I don't have to much time to read all the post, so maybe someone can help me with this question... Which format is the best for the X3 if I don't want to compress the quality but I want a file that support id tag and album artwork?, right now all my files are AIFF since i was using my iPod Classic, thank you!!

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #4,498 of 17,484
FLAC is working for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back