The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #3,979 of 17,484
Quote:
No problems with my Samsung 64GB micro SDXC (27GB filled).

From experimentation, it's not a problem with 64Gb cards as such, it seems to be an issue with how many folders and files you have in one directory structure.

53.5Gb archive in Music/Artist/Album/Song structure with 400 folders and 8000 files and I cannot browse all the music. If I split my archive into two parts, but the same folder structure, then I can browse the whole archive(s).

In neither case however, does it index all the files to the X3 database so that you can use the 'Category' function. The only way I can get it to index all the songs to the database is by putting all 8000 songs into one big folder called Music. Then it indexes them and builds the database.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #3,982 of 17,484
Quote:

Any DAPs as sample so we can study how it work first . I am not sure whether it will cause a lots of new bugs, and the most important thing to us is make the current fimware more stable and easy to use. after that, we will try to add more features in X3.

A quick example that I could think of would be a Rockbox'd DAP like Clip+ or iPods. There's a Menu item called "Playlist Catalogue" where you can access the m3u and m3u8 (UTF-8 version of m3u) files in the "Playlists" folder. I usually create m3u8 files from foobar2000 or MediaMonkey.

iPod Classic with Apple firmware support playlists as well, but that's an entirely different beast though.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #3,983 of 17,484
Quote:
Just got my X3, very pleased so far.

Is there a consensus about which 64GB micro SD works without problems? I am considering
Samsung Micro SDXC
SanDisk Ultra Micro SDXC
Transcend TS64GUSDU1 MicroSDHC Class10 U1

I know I will have to format them as FAT32

I would use artist/album folder structure, and play gapless album.

Sorry if this has been been already discussed, but reading 265 pages would be a daunting task...

I have two of the three cards you mentioned and the FiiO X3 reads them both. I'm having some issues with the library update but it surely isn't related to card compatibility. :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #3,984 of 17,484
Hi,

Just wondering if the HiFiman RE-400's would go well with the X3?

I listen to Electronic, New Age and Classic Rock.

Reason I ask is that they are £24 cheaper this week than last week when I nearly bought a pair.

Mike.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #3,985 of 17,484
OK, since I got motivated by the latest posts of people with 64GB cards stuffed up with songs, I decided to make a last attempt. I won't make any further tests until a "cure" is found cause I'd like to preserve what's left of my cards' integrity.
biggrin.gif

I have formatted the 64GB SanDisk Ultra card with Disk Utility on my Mac (10.8.4 Mountain Lion), then I launched my VM on Parallels with WindowsXP and I used the Verbatim utility to format the 64GB Transcend TS64GUSDU1 card (the utility I found on Google has no options, only [Format] and [Exit]).

I filled them both with my music library (~58.30GB) in the original directories I've found in iTunes, so both cards have the following folder structure:
root -> Artist -> Album -> Track
Both cards have around 3.900 files (I have a bunch of tracks like Nightwish's The Poet and the Pendulum with its whopping +94MB and I had to leave Phil Collins behind
frown.gif
) plus the above-mentioned folders in a mixture of MP3s and M4A (ALAC and AAC).

On the SanDisk card the file browser stops at the last artist on 'P', while on the Transcend card it stops at the first artist in 'Q'. On both cards the UpdateLib command still takes only a few seconds to complete and obviously I don't see any file in the Categories except for Dr.Chesky's album.

Obviously this issue isn't related to the compatibility of the player with different 64GB microSDXC cards and I'm quite sure the OS and/or the program used to format the cards doesn't affect it that much. I've checked the lenght of the file names and the file path so I'm sure this mustn't be part of the problem (the longest one is just 122 characters long including the extension). I'm at a loss!
confused.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3,989 of 17,484
Quote:

Defragmenting is a old process meant for 90's computers. And really on applies to Hard DISK DRIVE storage units.

Old HDD's and the old OS's from years past that handled where data went was very random and not done efficenctly leading to a need for disk cleanup and defrag. Nowadays with Win 7, Mac OSX etc etc, the OS auto handles the function of keeping a HDD working very well and without need for defrag

Those that are defragging their HDD's today are doing nothing for their drives as the OS is 'smart' enough nowadays to automatically have set algo's for where data goes on a disk drive. 

And using a SD defragger is even more pointless. IT's the same thing as painting racing stripes on a car to make it go faster. It's all a marketing scheme. The companies that make this stuff know it does nothing and will actually shorten the life or you SD card(flash memory's access amounts are more limited than HDD') They just sell the software because people still haven't realized this. But for the most part, people have noticed this, you will notice that most SD card and regular HDD defragers are hosted on 3rd party somewhat sketchy looking sites, most that are freeware that will download adware onto your computer. 

TLDR;
Defrag was meant to sort files on your computer and be used as a cleanup for your HDD because OS's couldn't do it to well back then and so it was bundled with computers. Current OS's do it very nicely and the defrag is just kept there for the hell of it. This only applies to hard disk drive(spinning platters). Flash memory formats are not supposed to be 'accessed' as much as HDD's are. This is why TRIM and disabling indexing is done on SDD's a lot.

I abridged this A LOT. And am actually slightly incorrect in some parts dealing with OS handling of it because if I was to explain it more, it would be a waste of my time as most wouldn't even read this. 

overall lesson: Don't defrag your flash memory.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,990 of 17,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO

Any DAPs as sample so we can study how it work first . I am not sure whether it will cause a lots of new bugs, and the most important thing to us is make the current fimware more stable and easy to use. after that, we will try to add more features in X3.

Quote:
A quick example that I could think of would be a Rockbox'd DAP like Clip+ or iPods. There's a Menu item called "Playlist Catalogue" where you can access the m3u and m3u8 (UTF-8 version of m3u) files in the "Playlists" folder. I usually create m3u8 files from foobar2000 or MediaMonkey.

iPod Classic with Apple firmware support playlists as well, but that's an entirely different beast though.

I would say if needed for a test another good example will be Cowon players, as they support m3u playback from factory condition.  m3u support on a rockbox'd DAP is surely nice too (works perfectly, like gapless regardless of both file browsing playback and m3u playback), but it involves installing rockbox.

As a rockbox'd 5g user for few years (and I play all music by just choosing several m3u lists), X3 not supporting m3u at the moment is the biggest thing holding me back to buy one.  As others say, I hope it can be considered eventually.  Like Rockbox'd DAPs and Cowons, since you can drag and drop files to the X3, I believe it's easy to access and manage where the music files are, so making m3u lists is also easy.  If it can support m3u, nobody will have to do that "rename all files" method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back