The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #3,302 of 17,484
Quote:

digital.852 - all are around 250 so I found the guy with the fastest shipping.  :)  I ordered on 7/29 and it'll be here today.  That's damn fast from China.

As for getting rid of a stack...if this thing sounds like or than my iPod out of an e07k (which is what I currently use), then it's a win.  And from all indications, it does.  So should be golden this evening when I get home from work.

It sounds better than iPod+E07K yes. The E07K is more mellow and lacks the detail and refine of the X3(which overly refines the mid range and thus instrument quality is a bit lowered) but for the most part, still warm, bassy and fun like the former but with more detail and clarity. 

While you do get better physical usability with the X3, depending on how you usually 'use' your songs and find them to listen to them, it may get slightly less software one. HOWEVER, I find that most of this can be combated by either manual folder browsing(make your own folders and layers of them and playlists) and by the most important thing of all. Time, which means getting used to the device. When I first got the X3. I was deeply saddened by the usability, but as a tech enthusiast, one of the biggest things I hold true in me is that people will, and I mean will, get used to their stuff and what we see as 'good' is only a figment of our brains getting used to the operation of another device.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3,304 of 17,484
Quote:
Somebody convice me not to buy the x3 (oe dx50)

Please tell me it does not sound as good as a rockboxed ipod 5.5g playing flac

smily_headphones1.gif

It's cheaper than dx50. Buy it. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #3,307 of 17,484
FYI, I called B&H and they expect their distributor to get it around August 5th, and they'll be ready to ship around the 12th.

So I hedged, and ordered one from MP4Nation. Hopefully MP4Nation will ship next week.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,308 of 17,484
Quote:
It sounds better than iPod+E07K yes. The E07K is more mellow and lacks the detail and refine of the X3(which overly refines the mid range and thus instrument quality is a bit lowered) but for the most part, still warm, bassy and fun like the former but with more detail and clarity. 

While you do get better physical usability with the X3, depending on how you usually 'use' your songs and find them to listen to them, it may get slightly less software one. HOWEVER, I find that most of this can be combated by either manual folder browsing(make your own folders and layers of them and playlists) and by the most important thing of all. Time, which means getting used to the device. When I first got the X3. I was deeply saddened by the usability, but as a tech enthusiast, one of the biggest things I hold true in me is that people will, and I mean will, get used to their stuff and what we see as 'good' is only a figment of our brains getting used to the operation of another device.

I only listen to VBR (older stuff) and CBR (320kbs) MP3 files, so I'm probably in the clear.  From what I've read, it's the FLAC files that are the issue w/ the browsing.  Correct?  Or is it AAC?  either way, I don't use those file formats.  MP3 for life.  :)

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #3,309 of 17,484
Quote:

I only listen to VBR (older stuff) and CBR (320kbs) MP3 files, so I'm probably in the clear.  From what I've read, it's the FLAC files that are the issue w/ the browsing.  Correct?  Or is it AAC?  either way, I don't use those file formats.  MP3 for life.  :)

It is the Apple formats that are the problems

AAC/ALAC

I do not know if AIFF has problems. 

These only show up in manual browse right now and not auto(categories) due to id3 tag problems and identifying them.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,311 of 17,484
Quote:
So x3 sound quality beats rock boxed ipod??

That will be a matter of opinion.....you won't know unless you try one. Everybody's ears are different.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #3,312 of 17,484
Quote:
It is the Apple formats that are the problems

AAC/ALAC

I do not know if AIFF has problems. 

These only show up in manual browse right now and not auto(categories) due to id3 tag problems and identifying them.

Well then I'm in the clear.  At least until the next firmware update.  :)  Thanks for the heads up.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3,314 of 17,484
Quote:
Indeed, not easy to decide without audition

I know where you're coming from though.....the rockboxed 5.5 iPod really does sound nice. Mine is sitting right in front of me on my computer desk now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back