The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 17, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #16,816 of 17,483
  I did some more test around my problem with gaps between tracks in albums ripped in one FLAC file + CUE sheet.
I'm pretty desperate as I thought ripping my CDs in one file with a CUE sheet circumvents eventual gapless playback problems.

Gapless setting (on/off) doesn't matter.

INDEX 00 INDEX 01 doesn't matter.

Format of the file doesn't matter - I have tested flac, wav, ape, mp3 (of the same album).

Deleting the CUE sheet "fixes" the problem (obviously).

The strangest on the whole thing is, it doesn't insert gaps between tracks on all albums.
I've found one (so far) live album, which plays without gaps.
Now I have to find out, what's different on this album.

On another note - I have to say I'm very disappointed with the final firmware.
When you look at the change log between the latest beta and the final version - not much done in 6 months, considering it's the FINAL version - that's really sad ...

I'm really starting to hate this tactics:
1) put out an unfinished product, with a lot of bugs and half the advertised features not working
2) promise it will be all fixed in a future firmware update
3) ask for patience, you are working on it ...
4) ask for patience, you are working on it ...
N) ask for patience, you are working on it ...
N+1) ask for patience, you are working on it ...
N+2) call the product obsolete, EOL.

Can you share a problematic file with us?

By the way, I feel the same disappointment for such a bad marketing strategy and the unresolved bugs.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #16,818 of 17,483
Same behaviour on my side. Strangely enough, at any second play of the track, the transition is gapless. I also tried removing all the tags and the embedded cuesheet, without any improvement. The only missing trial is to convert the file to wav...

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #16,819 of 17,483
I've already tried to convert the file to wav, ape, mp3 - didn't help :frowning2:

PS: Just a theory - for me it looks like reading the info of the next track is too CPU intensive and it creates a gap because the CPU isn't able to continue decoding the track. On the second play, the info is cached, so no gap ...

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #16,823 of 17,483
I'm using a RiDATA Class 10 16GB and a Kingston Class 4 16GB card for testing.
I can try my Transcend Class 10 UHS1 64GB card if it makes a difference.

I noticed the problem first, when listening continuously, then when testing I was FF-ing to the end of each track and listening for the transition between tracks.

Edit - I have tested it on the Transcend card and it's the same :frowning2:

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #16,824 of 17,483
I've had my 1st gen X3 for a long time now, but I'm trying Shuffle mode for the first time (using latest firmware).

I have six folders on the internal storage and 60+ on external storage. I did a lot of driving over the Thanksgiving holidays, so I had the Shuffle mode on for about 30 hours. With an occasional exception, Shuffle played tracks from only about half of the 60+ folders. Is this normal? Is there any way I can get it to be more random? The database is up to date, so all the folders should be available.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #16,826 of 17,483
I was playing with the X7 last week and in the song shuffle mode.....  I kept wondering how they shuffle the songs because it kept playing back the same songs from day to day....  sure wished they would fix two items....  song to song level balance and the shuffle mode needs some work on all of the players... 

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #16,827 of 17,483
I just got an X3 from another member. It's my first "proper" DAP and I've only been using it for a few days, haven't yet filled up the 64gb card it came with. All file types seem to play fine. My question is: it currently has the 2.1 firmware, should I update it? I was reading through this thread the other day and it seemed like some weren't happy with the final firmware.

I like 2.1.  I've been using it the last few days with MP3s and AACs.  I go back to it every once in awhile just so I can have artwork that's proportioned correctly, but I know that later firmwares sound better.
You should build up a collection of the firmwares and go back and forth amongst them.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #16,828 of 17,483
I like 2.1.  I've been using it the last few days with MP3s and AACs.  I go back to it every once in awhile just so I can have artwork that's proportioned correctly, but I know that later firmwares sound better.
You should build up a collection of the firmwares and go back and forth amongst them.

I just don't like using 2.1 anymore. If you have a very reasonable pair of headphones, you han hear a whole lot of quiet poping and crackling on Mp3s. As soon as 3.0 came out, that issue was gone. This problem was very noticeable on quiet tracks if you are listening to Mp3s. I mainly have 320kbps Mp3s on my X3.

There were 2 things I much preferred about 2.1 and below that firmware.

1. For me, max volume being at 60 was much better. It meant that it would be like going up to setps at a time on the current 3.4 firmware that goes up to 120. If there was an option to either have 60 as full folume or to go up 2 steps at a time, that would be very nice. You can get to the volume you wan't much faster. It will be an issue for some as it will mean that you won't have as wider range of options for volume. That is why it would be nice if there was 2.

2. On 2.1, you simply press the volume butten and it responds and adds 1 to the volume. With 3.4, you have to press it, A menu then pops up and you need to press it again to actually change anything. Also, you only have 2 seconds to make any changes to the volume or else the pop up volume will go again and you will need to press the butten twice once again to change it. I find this quite irritating and wished it stayed like it was on 2.1 and below. When the volume pops up, it also disables any other functions while it is there. I don't really know why it is needed as the X3 already tells you what the volume is at the top of the screen.

There were a few other things that I preferred about this firmware too but 3.4 is such a huge improvement overall that I hardly 2.1 worth going back to.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #16,829 of 17,483
How can we delete the list of favourite songs?

I deleted a number of songs from the player, but they still show up in the favourite list!!

I own the X3 first gen.

Thanks 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back