The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 20, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #15,482 of 17,484
  When I bought my X3 it came bundled with a dig coax cable.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPFLJS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I got the deal for $189.98

I had a similar deal, when I got my first X3.

I got another X3 recently, for $169, and a coax cable was no longer included.

(I'm now headphones-only, so I've never used the coax cable.)

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #15,483 of 17,484
Well, my X3 and RHA T10i'a just became my home rig. Yesterday, I bought a Samsung S5, didn't want the S6, no expandable memory. Anyways, the sound I get with my MEElectric M-Duo's and the S5 is more than satisfactory for a portable rig. I guess that means less chance to damage the X3, which hopefully translates to a longer life.

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #15,484 of 17,484
  I use the Coax very often, because I mainly use the X3 as a digital transport.
In fact, digital out (Coax or Toslink) is a "must have" feature for me.

i'm with the guys above who don't really get why you would buy an X3 just for its interface and menu system. i mean, isn't that kinda the worst part of this unit? my understand is that most people tolerate the interface because they like everything else about the X3 (all the stuff you bypass when using digital out). i am really not trying to be a jerk here so please don't be offended. it's just that i imagine there are countless better devices for this use, no?

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #15,485 of 17,484

i'm with the guys above who don't really get why you would buy an X3 just for its interface and menu system. i mean, isn't that kinda the worst part of this unit? my understand is that most people tolerate the interface because they like everything else about the X3 (all the stuff you bypass when using digital out). i am really not trying to be a jerk here so please don't be offended. it's just that i imagine there are countless better devices for this use, no?

This is the problem - there is (was?) no good digital transport in the price range of the X3.

I know it is OT but any tips for a good digital transport with a display and a nice UI in the price range of the X3?

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #15,486 of 17,484

This is the problem - there is (was?) no good digital transport in the price range of the X3.

I know it is OT but any tips for a good digital transport with a display and a nice UI in the price range of the X3?

huh. well that is surprising. and i guess the problem with something like a phone is limited storage capacity, right? now that i think of it, the X3 is a good bit smaller than most phones anyway. and cheaper too. ok, so i guess i sorta get it then. and i assume you are using a DAC you like more than the Wolfson - so which one is it?

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #15,488 of 17,484
I have been using the x3 in my car instead of the X1 to get ready for the review test of the new generation. I had forgotten how well this unit works with its dedicated line out in my auto. Like having a turntable in the car that does not skip when going over potholes.

i agree. LOVE the X3 LO in my car. that crappy factory standard Toyota stereo never sounded more alive & detailed. but the wacky eq settings i need for it to sound remotely natural are even more severe with all the extra punch & chime that the X3 LO delivers. the treble and bass controls go to +/- 6 and i usually have to set it at about B:-5 and T:-4.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #15,489 of 17,484
  And i assume you are using a DAC you like more than the Wolfson - so which one is it?

I like the Wolfson but I also like the sound of different DACs.
On my main system I'm using the receiver inbuilt PCM1680 DAC (Yamaha RX-V661).
On my secondary system I'm using a PCM 5102 DAC (Arcam rLink) or an AK4396 DAC (DIY) or the X3 inbuilt Wolfson, depending on my mood.

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #15,490 of 17,484
Hi All,

I need a new portable full size headphones, and I'm confuse between Audio Technica m50x and Sennheiser Momentum Over ears, both m getting for around ~$225.

The sound signature m looking for is good tight & punchy bass and wide sound stage, pls help me out which one to go for?

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #15,492 of 17,484
  Hi All,

I need a new portable full size headphones, and I'm confuse between Audio Technica m50x and Sennheiser Momentum Over ears, both m getting for around ~$225.

The sound signature m looking for is good tight & punchy bass and wide sound stage, pls help me out which one to go for?

Thanks!

Get the Momentums much better. I returned the M50X way over hyped. You can get them used like new for $110 shipped. They are brand new just no retail box. Authorized dealer full warrant.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00AZZNXOK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A134C7TMP2R0RJ

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #15,495 of 17,484

Get the Momentums much better. I returned the M50X way over hyped. You can get them used like new for $110 shipped. They are brand new just no retail box. Authorized dealer full warrant.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00AZZNXOK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A134C7TMP2R0RJ

Yeah my mind is also drifting towards momentum's and with options of used one I would go for it, however I need to figure out a way to ship it to India, if through seller or with someone else.

Thanks man for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back